Is Sexual Orientation Innate?

• Yes

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Is sexual preference innate? I was always under the impression that this was true. Sure there are the people who "stray" out of curiosity or those whos childhood most likely pushed them one way or another but for the most part people are just how they are.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Probably not what you're looking for, but I don't think there's a simple yes or no answer. Is it true that throughout most of nature males are attracted to females? Yes. Is it true that humans, like monkeys, marine mammals, and a handful of other species have same sex partners? Yes. Two things can be true at the same time.

I'm glad you pointed out that that some people do go "stray" out of curiosity. While I do believe the vast majority of same sex couples are in their relationship because of love and attraction, some do indeed find pleasure is just doing something different.

Stephanie Allynne is an American actress married to female comedian Tig Notarro. Before the two of them met, Stephanie had only been with men. But after become friends with Tig, their chemistry and love for one another just grew. Essentially she didn't look at Notarro as another woman but simply someone she loved.

IDK

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
I certainly don't remember "deciding" to be straight. I do remember a young girl in school with large and exceedingly perky boobs (at least for her tiny frame) in a tight purple tank top no bra and a pair of white painted on jeans. After a few minutes talking to her I had to walk away because I had a screaming hard on. It is what it is. I think it's the same for most people. We have no real choice in the matter. We are attracted to what we're attracted to and it's as natural and innate as eating and breathing.

Jun 2018
Toronto
People don't remember choosing orientation. They also don't remember when their parents first bought them a doll or toy truck, or praised loudly that little girl how cute and pretty she is in front of their little boy. They don't remember how their mother, who wanted a girl instead of a boy used to treat them as toddlers. People don't remember a lot of things.

I suspect most of the gays and lesbians in very early childhood were influenced by bad parenting. Like the mother wanted a daughter instead of a son and the poor kid wanted to please her and vice versa for the girls and that got them set for life.

I'm not convinced of a genetically set orientation.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
I suspect most of the gays and lesbians in very early childhood were influenced by bad parenting. Like the mother wanted a daughter instead of a son and the poor kid wanted to please her and vice versa for the girls and that got them set for life.

OMG

Sometimes I read things that just flat out frighten me. This is one of those times.

Apr 2013
Left coast
People don't remember choosing orientation. They also don't remember when their parents first bought them a doll or toy truck, or praised loudly that little girl how cute and pretty she is in front of their little boy. They don't remember how their mother, who wanted a girl instead of a boy used to treat them as toddlers. People don't remember a lot of things.

I'm not convinced of a genetically set orientation.
You are going to have a hard time convincing me that because I got a truck and my sister got a doll for Xmas, that's why I had a virtually identical experience to Bubba. This one was in a tight purple sweater too. And she had this husky voice. To quote the hoser boys, shwinggggg.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
not completely, science says, well not sure, they've done identical twin tests about half are both gay, the other half? not both gay.. so to say its inate? thats unproven, maybe maybe not

May 2018
USA
Built in from birth. I strongly suspect some people have no strong sexual identification and of those folks, some can "turn" gay through desperation/failure with their preferred gender. Boys won't have them, but the girls will, and vice versa. Personally I couldn't care less how someone sexually identifies, people are people.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Built in from birth. So if God hates gays, he must be incompetent.
'Born this way'? It's way more complicated than that Getting America to believe that people are born gay — that it’s not something that can be chosen or ever changed — has been central to the fight for gay rights. If someone can’t help being gay any more than they can help the color of their skin, the logic goes, denying them rights is wrong. But many members of the LGBTQ community reject this narrative, saying it only benefits people who feel their sexuality and gender are fixed rather than fluid, and questioning why the dignity of gay people should rest on the notion that they were gay from their very first breath.