Is the 2020 Primary already down to a 6-person race

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
We haven't had the first Democratic primary yet, but poll after poll shows it might already be down to 6 candidates.

National 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary Polls

The leaders
- Joe Biden is the early favorite. He has the most name recognition and he offers a simple pitch as a prospective president: a return to normalcy. Based on what's happened over the last two weeks, it looks like the strategy of moderate democrats is to make Trump look as crazy as possible then Joe comes in and says "Let's get back to normal."
- Bernie Sanders is the second horse in the race. Second most name recognition, the most aggressive agenda and an advocate for change. He, like Trump in 2016, is emblematic of a rejection of the establishment.

The rest
- Say what you want about Elizabeth Warren, she's separating herself by putting out policy after policy after policy. No one has put out more proposals than Warren and it's not even close. If you want to vote based on people trying to get things done, she's positioning herself as that candidate.
- Kamala Harris is positioning herself as the hard-nosed AG from CA who treats every Senate hearing like a court case. She looks and sounds like a prosecutor who isn't afraid to attack. And while it shouldn't matter, IMO, she appeals to both women and blacks in the US (I don't us "African American" because that doesn't encompass Jamaicans, Hatians, etc.)
- Beto O'Rourke still holds national appeal from his TX Senate race but he's got the personality appeal that helped propell Obama in 2007. His strategy is to go to coffee shop after coffee shop and talk to voters. That's it. It may work, but he'll have to prove himself on the debate stage.
- Mayor Pete Buttigeg is the most surprising candidate of the cycle. The 37 year old has show poise in the media, including his Fox News town hall. His appeal to the youth could be a major factor, if not as the front-runner, as a major VP candidate.

I would also argue keep an eye on Cory Booker, Amy Klobuchar and Andrew Yang as I think they'll be good on a debate stage.

Reactions: Clara007
Dec 2015
Arizona
We haven't had the first Democratic primary yet, but poll after poll shows it might already be down to 6 candidates.

National 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary Polls

The leaders
- Joe Biden is the early favorite. He has the most name recognition and he offers a simple pitch as a prospective president: a return to normalcy. Based on what's happened over the last two weeks, it looks like the strategy of moderate democrats is to make Trump look as crazy as possible then Joe comes in and says "Let's get back to normal."
- Bernie Sanders is the second horse in the race. Second most name recognition, the most aggressive agenda and an advocate for change. He, like Trump in 2016, is emblematic of a rejection of the establishment.

The rest
- Say what you want about Elizabeth Warren, she's separating herself by putting out policy after policy after policy. No one has put out more proposals than Warren and it's not even close. If you want to vote based on people trying to get things done, she's positioning herself as that candidate.
- Kamala Harris is positioning herself as the hard-nosed AG from CA who treats every Senate hearing like a court case. She looks and sounds like a prosecutor who isn't afraid to attack. And while it shouldn't matter, IMO, she appeals to both women and blacks in the US (I don't us "African American" because that doesn't encompass Jamaicans, Hatians, etc.)
- Beto O'Rourke still holds national appeal from his TX Senate race but he's got the personality appeal that helped propell Obama in 2007. His strategy is to go to coffee shop after coffee shop and talk to voters. That's it. It may work, but he'll have to prove himself on the debate stage.
- Mayor Pete Buttigeg is the most surprising candidate of the cycle. The 37 year old has show poise in the media, including his Fox News town hall. His appeal to the youth could be a major factor, if not as the front-runner, as a major VP candidate.

I would also argue keep an eye on Cory Booker, Amy Klobuchar and Andrew Yang as I think they'll be good on a debate stage.

I'm surprised the Cory Booker isn't getting more press. Maybe he's biding his time but I like him. I think we can throw away Beto and Pete. I've watched Kamala Harris say this too often: "That's a good question." Hmmmm....
Everyone's strategy SHOULD be 'return to normal'....the craziness of Trump...or at least part of their strategy.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I'm surprised the Cory Booker isn't getting more press. Maybe he's biding his time but I like him. I think we can throw away Beto and Pete. I've watched Kamala Harris say this too often: "That's a good question." Hmmmm....
Everyone's strategy SHOULD be 'return to normal'....the craziness of Trump...or at least part of their strategy.
Why do you think we can throw away Beto and Pete?

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
I think a Beto/Buttagieg ticket would be terrific! Or even a Biden/Buttagieg ticket if we HAVE to have a good old boy in there.

Reactions: leekohler2
Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Why on earth are none of you guys giving tulsi gabbord any traction? She seems to be the best candidate out of the whole clowncar.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I think a Beto/Buttagieg ticket would be terrific! Or even a Biden/Buttagieg ticket if we HAVE to have a good old boy in there.
The Biden/Butta ticket is interesting. Everyone has proclaimed Kamala Harris as the #1 target for a VP candidate because of her appeal with black and women voters. Well Joe Biden's appeal with black voters is incredibly high. So would Biden favor appeal to women voters with Kamala Harris or would he appeal to young voters with Butta. I'd argue turnout among women voters won't be much impacted by a VP candidate but young turnout might.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Why on earth are none of you guys giving tulsi gabbord any traction? She seems to be the best candidate out of the whole clowncar.
I'm very much intrigued by Gabbard. Her online following is a lot better than her national following. But her foreign policy history has some holes in it that could be easily exposed.

Rooting for her

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker
I don't vote for Democrats, but from my perspective if Trump ever had to go against a Kamala Harris / Pete Buttigeg ticket, it would be a blood bath. Those two could dominate the black vote, Hispanics, women, the young, the elderly, those who vote for the first (first second generation immigrant / Hispanic and first woman) and newer liberals. The baggage of Biden and Bernie's inability to find a charismatic running mate would doom them. But, if the coronation ceremony goes as planned, a Trump v. Biden ticket is just going to embarrass the Democrats.

That's why Trump is confident to say four more years... If he really runs.