Is the Right Unusually Outraged and Angry?

Dec 2015
Arizona
Outraged and angry? You betcha. It's frustration speaking. It's not even receiving an acknowledgment that a corrupt liar is sitting in the WH. It's hearing day after day that facts aren't facts. That lies aren't lies. That truth isn't truth. Science isn't science. History isn't history. That tends to bring out the worst in most of us.
It's the hourly/daily exasperation, aggravation, and defeat of dealing with people who simply won't admit mistakes. It's the defense of WHAT WE KNOW is wrong---no matter how blatantly wrong. How do you fight the flat earth mentality and the absolute fealty to someone/something so arguably flawed?
Maybe I shouldn't assume this, but I always believed that as children we were raised to tell the truth---to do the RIGHT thing--to believe in integrity and decency. Suddenly it's all gone.
Most of us are reeling in confusion. That brings out the worst (and it should) in all of us.

Reactions: catus felis
Nov 2012
nirvana
Explain, please. Are you saying that the emotion is the message alone and there is no need for or interest in an intellectual message?
Explain, please. Are you saying that the emotion is the message alone and there is no need for or interest in an intellectual message?

Not the message alone. The message is hidden the product. Give us what we want, and we will stop being angry.

That would be unfettered access to guns

Putting young women in religious jail for having an abortion

The right to hate and discriminate against minorities, immigrants, the LBGT community

A rigged economic system to benefit only right thinking whites, and punishes the other

Apr 2014
redacted
I find that what you write is accurate; however, I find the same things true about the left.

When people want to be critical of what I write, they don't ask questions, they begin their responses with something like "moron." One individual did that to me today not realizing that I actually lobby and fight cases based upon what she called me a moron over. How do they justify such stupidity?

Since I'm neither on the left or the right, I can be objective. The left will swear and be damned that I'm a right winger and the right with the same fervor will call me a left winger... and both sides use the same amount of intolerance, name calling, and the belief that their side holds a monopoly on the solutions.

I've had both sides reject factual information they don't like. The standard canard is to attack the figures... one guy actually got pissed off at me for presenting facts he disagreed with - and then called me names when I attributed the research to HIS side of the discussion. The tactics are used on radio, in social media, discussion boards, etc.

We're immune to a little civility - someone might get proven wrong; name calling usually changes the OP to a personality contest. So, the ones who begin their responses with name calling actually lose, but hope to win in a popularity contest. Sadly they feel they do win - usually because most posters then avoid the thread and the name callers avoid having their positions exposed.
Well said and agreed. The OP describes political partisans, not either the Left or Right per se.

....Without even knowing the exact issue, I think a person can fairly predictably identified by the following characteristics in their speech or communication:
1. undercurrent of irritation at any critical questions
2. tendency to disparage the messenger or questioner
3. annoyance that any contrary opinion might be raised
4. frequent use of sarcasm and hyperbole as an argument technique.
5. conviction of absolute certainty that his/her opinion is unquestionably correct
6. impatient disinterest in any factual information
Although I'm a centrist, when I say something in which a political partisan disagrees then I'm either labeled a Leftist or a Righty depending upon the accusers own political flavor.

Reactions: LTP
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Not the message alone. The message is hidden the product. Give us what we want, and we will stop being angry.

That would be unfettered access to guns

Putting young women in religious jail for having an abortion

The right to hate and discriminate against minorities, immigrants, the LBGT community

A rigged economic system to benefit only right thinking whites, and punishes the other
Ok. Yes. All that happened. But why does the winning party remain angry and resentful? I would think that gaining political advantage would produce a certain tranquility and happiness. However, Trump and the Republicans seem determined to punish Clinton for losing, Iraq for entering into a treaty, Canada for its dairy policies, China for having conditions upon its markets, Mexico and Central America for having refugees, or the world for participating in Global Warming or Iraq nuclear treaties. This all seems to be done without a clear political ideology beyond some sort of Fox News motivated impulsive behavior overlaid upon an angry vindictiveness.

Nov 2012
nirvana
Ok. Yes. All that happened. But why does the winning party remain angry and resentful? I would think that gaining political advantage would produce a certain tranquility and happiness. However, Trump and the Republicans seem determined to punish Clinton for losing, Iraq for entering into a treaty, Canada for its dairy policies, China for having conditions upon its markets, Mexico and Central America for having refugees, or the world for participating in Global Warming or Iraq nuclear treaties. This all seems to be done without a clear political ideology beyond some sort of Fox News motivated impulsive behavior overlaid upon an angry vindictiveness.
They’re never going to be happy until they get their white wing freak Libertarian theocratical oligarchy.

They want the south back, pre Civil War.

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Well said and agreed. The OP describes political partisans, not either the Left or Right per se.
Consider the behavior of Limbaugh or Hannity and compare to Rachel Maddow.
Consider the behavior of Nancy Pelosi compared to John Bolton.
Even the "extremist" Left, such as AOC, remain generally calm and try to be persuasive.
More often, it seems that the Right takes the view that they alone have the truth, reject efforts at rational argument, and pursue belligerent political arguments that reflect hostility toward Clinton or Obama. Does the Left complain as bitterly and vengefully about Bush?
I just do not see the issue as existing uniformly in both political parties.

LTP

Mar 2018
Grayson
I think there is a danger in arguing that "both sides do it" just because a few on one side may demonstrate similar behavior. It seems unlikely that the left is channeling Trump emotionally in the same fashion as the Right. There is definitely a pattern of similar rhetoric by most conservatives that, at this point in American politics, is more iconic than any regular pattern by the Left. Argument and disagreement is common among the Left (hence the connection to academics and intellectuals). The Right tends toward a more monolithic dogma that does not tolerate disagreement.

Trump (and many on the Right) seems to assume that bullying China and Iran and Canada will automatically result in a favorable response. It is simply beyond understanding of the Right that bullying results in stiffening and resistance by those countries as much as it would to us if those countries were belligerent towards the USA.
You only see it one way because you are on one side. You should see the left here open up on me when I take a stand against a single piece of the liberal agenda. They begin stomping their feet, calling me a moron, etc.

Yep. The right does it too. Challenge their silly wall idea and they react worse than if you had just raped their daughter. OMG, they're just as fanatical as when you tell the left you don't believe in gun control. Either way, you won't be entitled to your own opinion. We cannot afford civility and the respect to allow others to believe differently.

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Yes, they did for eight years.
Really? I just do not recall demands to "lock-up" Bush, repeated complaints about Bush as a justification for Obama policies, or a need to continuously remind the nation about Bush's war decisions. Obama got dealt a hand and tried to make decisions based upon the conditions he inherited. He did not blame McCain for losing and pursue him with vindictive need to prove that the Obama victory was valid.

Reactions: RNG