Italian American Civil Rights

Jul 2019
new jersey
How do I recruit people for an Italian American Civil Rights organization? I feel like Italian Americans have a lot of catching up to do in terms of organizing for their own civil rights compared to the LGBT, women, and other minority communities. Italian Americans in New Jersey have a harder time achieving all of the goals, for example, listed under Defending the Truth's definition for civil rights for LGBT people. It is not easy living fully opelyl as Italian Americans even in New Jersey or New York. Stereotyping, microagressions, implicit and explicit bias, and yes discrimination, has not been eliminated. Italian American celebrities do not promote or defedn the identity or ethnic group of Italian Americans. There are many other inquities that are not addressed by even Italian American politicians, some of which actually help suppress Italian Americans' rights to free expression and association. I want to create an Italian American Civil Rights organization to rectify this situation. I feel that we are underrepresented in many part of our society and politics, especially substantively. We are less represented in mainstream culture and politics than gender non-binary people for example, despite having 60 times more representation in the total population. I fully support LGBT civil rights. I just want not to be overlooked in civil rights. I also worry that Italian Americans are not protected enough in civil rights law due to the lack of official statistics for us. White Latinos can get better civil rights protections than us despite being similarly situated. Italian Americans are not championed by civil rights groups and the ACLU does not fight for us. I think that the old liberal ideal that everyone's rights depend on everyone else's rights is good and true but I fear that the new progressivism sets civil rights groups against each other. Native Americans are trying to take away Italian Americans' civil rights and Italian American politicians have sometimes attacked their own group to support Native Americans against us. At a time in which every other minority group is recognized and supported by the left, we are being pressured, suppressed, and even closeted by forces that attack Columbus Day and any civil rights movement for Italians. After all, Hollywood still stigmatizes our identity. Yet, civil rights can only be truly embraced by the left and center. Many of my fellow Italian Americans are supporting the right wing because of the lack of civil rights consistency on the part of the Democrats, but I find this problematic. I want inclusion of Italian American civil rights within the modern leftist agenda.

Jul 2019
new jersey
Civil rights include equal opportunity and pensacola's racist posts are part of a culture that denies equal opportunity to me and other Italian Americans, which denies us our civil rights. Equal opportunity and equal protection are part of civil rights.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
Civil rights include equal opportunity and pensacola's racist posts are part of a culture that denies equal opportunity to me and other Italian Americans, which denies us our civil rights. Equal opportunity and equal protection are part of civil rights.
So you don't have a specific case where you were harmed by a anti-Italian prejudice, is that what you are saying?

Marcus Livius

Former Staff
Sep 2017
Hell
What special race are Italians in? Have you considered that Pensacola Niceman may probably be just another boisterous gay Italian man that misses his North African boy toy that got pissed off and ran away from him because he displayed a Betsy Ross flag?

How are Italians denied equal opportunities? Last I heard, being Italian is still THE thing when joining the family business.

Jul 2019
new jersey
I cannot prove it, but I have been denied jobs from this one school with a bad reputation related to its treatment with Italian Americans. I have been denied without an interview five times at least. Did you just a racist stereotype? Racism includes ethnic prejudice. We cannot get ahead because of mob stereotypes.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
I cannot prove it, but I have been denied jobs from this one school with a bad reputation related to its treatment with Italian Americans. I have been denied without an interview five times at least. Did you just a racist stereotype? Racism includes ethnic prejudice. We cannot get ahead because of mob stereotypes.
Perhaps your education and experience didn't match their needs?