It's looking like Trump managed the Iran crisis well

Jul 2015
chicago
THE FACT is that the General was on a peace mission, ….
What a load of malarkey. He was directing all of the Shite militia terrorism activity in the greater area. Terrorist activity that has resulted in many US military and civilian deaths. Thank god he is dead.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
The official Iraq government wants you to leave. And they don't have an electoral college to fuck up democracy, so you should get out.

Dec 2019
Utah, USA
So in your view, pulling out of deal that we had every right to leave justifies Iran's attacks in September?
No, but pulling out of it triggered substantial sanctions (again). Just thought everyone knew that, sorry!

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
The quote I was responding to was that Iraq wanted us to leave, I said what I said because Iraq did not tell us to leave. It is a falsehood, The reality is there is a conflict in Iraq and one side wants us to leave and the other does not, The side that wants us to leave are the Shiites. This is the faction that is behind the terrorist acts there. Yes the terrorists want us to leave. Don't get me wrong. I also want all of our soldiers out of there too but we cannot have a diplomatic core there without military support. But I am in general right there with you.
Iraq is 20 percent Kurdish, 20 percent Sunni (Saddam was a Sunni), and 60 percent Shiite.

Is this a case of tough shit for the majority Shiites?

Feb 2007
USA
I think the tactical benefits of this move will play well with voters.
Sure, for voters who tend to live in the moment and don't care to bother to even try to look past their own noses, so to speak, quite seemingly apparent like Trump.

Meanwhile, Iranians who either hold power in Iran or who have influence over Iran's foreign policy certainly realize that Trump's tenure will either probably end in a year from now, or end in five years from now at most. And they most certainly realize that the US has largely isolated itself regarding its approach towards Iran, which is quite unlike the period of time leading up to the JCPOA agreement. And as unilateral US sanctions linger on, the effects of those economic sanctions on Iran will likely reach a maximum effect and then potentially become less effective, as sanctions typically do, especially unilateral sanctions. So, those Iranians in power or with influence over Iran's foreign policy can-and possibly will-chose to look past their noses and just wait out Trump, for the most part. And when Trump is eventually out of office, and with a wave of that new president's hand, sanctions on Iran could be-and likely would be-lifted and a new long term thinking US foreign policy emerge regarding Iran, particularly since Trump simply doesn't have majority support among Americans regarding his approach towards Iran. And then the Americans who don't live in the moment and do tend to purposely look past their noses can then turn to those Americans who do Iive in the moment and don't care to look past their noses and simply say, "Don't say I didn't tell you so, that year or those years ago."

Last edited:
Reactions: cwII
Jul 2015
chicago
Iraq is 20 percent Kurdish, 20 percent Sunni (Saddam was a Sunni), and 60 percent Shiite.

Is this a case of tough shit for the majority Shiites?
Well no it should not be the case of tough shit for any of the three. The government was set up to be a compromise. It should not be a matter of one side or the other to use terrorist acts to rest control. Regardless, it is time for the USA to get the hell out of there. I am fine with attempting to aid the country with strategic strikes from drones and missiles, but its time to only Iraqis to be in harms way.