Jeff Sessions resigns

May 2018
Chicago
And so it begins...

Jeff Sessions has resigned as attorney general effective immediately after being asked to do so by President Trump.

"At your request, I am submitting my resignation," Sessions wrote in an undated letter to the president.

"Since the day I was honored to be sworn in as Attorney General of the United States, I came to work at the Department of Jusitce every day determined to do my duty and serve my country," Sessions wrote. "I have done so to the best of my ability, working to support the fundamental legal processes that are the foundation of justice."

On Twitter, Trump thanked Sessions for his service and announced that Sessions' chief of staff, Matthew G. Whitaker, will serve as acting attorney general and that a permanent replacement will take place at a later date.

Previously, Trump would not say whether Sessions -- who he has repeatedly criticized throughout his tenure -- would be safe in his job after the midterm elections.

"I just would love to have him do a great job," Trump told Bloomberg News on Aug. 30.

"I’d love to have him look at the other side," Trump added, underscoring his demand for Sessions to reopen the investigation into Hillary Clinton and the origins of the Russia investigation.

Earlier in August, in an interview with Fox News, Trump lashed out at Sessions, saying he failed to take control of the Department of Justice.
Somebody's scared.

Trump forces Sessions out amid criticism over Russia recusal

Nov 2005
California
Matthew Whitaker has been appointed acting attorney General after Jeff Sessions resigned Wednesday at President Trump’s request. And suddenly, Whitaker’s past skepticism about the Russia investigation has taken on new significance.
“So I could see a scenario where Jeff Sessions is replaced with a recess appointment,” Whitaker said, “and that attorney general doesn’t fire Bob Mueller, but he just reduces his budget to so low that his investigation grinds to almost a halt.”

It was the second time in the same interview, in fact, that Whitaker brought up the defunding idea. He said Rosenstein could also be pressured to do it.​
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...robert-muellers-funds/?utm_term=.be47060ac76f

They're not even subtle about it.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
I would have thought that Rosenstein would become acting AG. The Chief of Staff isn’t in the chain of command.

Apr 2013
Left coast
I would have thought that Rosenstein would become acting AG. The Chief of Staff isn’t in the chain of command.
This move is for the sole purpose of firing Rosenstein and then Mueller.

And as several reporters noted on twitter, "At your request, I am submitting my resignation," means "I just got punted".

May 2018
Chicago
This move is for the sole purpose of firing Rosenstein and then Mueller.

And as several reporters noted on twitter, "At your request, I am submitting my resignation," means "I just got punted".
Exactly, Trump isn’t even bothering to cover that up. If Trump tries to get Mueller fired, he will have to be impeached.