John Hickenlooper, the Moderate?

Dec 2015
Arizona
John Hickenlooper, the former Colorado governor who once described himself as an "extreme moderate," has announced that he will be running for president in 2020, joining an already overcrowded Democratic field.

"I’m running for president because we need dreamers in Washington, but we also need to get things done. I’ve proven again and again I can bring people together to produce the progressive change Washington has failed to deliver," Hickenlooper explained in a campaign video announcing his reasons for running.
One of the challenges that Hickenlooper will face in his campaign is figuring out how to define himself. Despite succeeding in leading Colorado to a prosperous economy and passing landmark legislation involving environmental issues and gun control, there are concerns within his home state that he won't be an effective president.

"I don’t think John has at all defined why he is running. There are very few people I know who wake up and want to go caucus to support a raging moderate," Rick Ridder, a political strategist in Colorado who is friends with Hickenlooper, told The New York Times.

On the other hand, while Hickenlooper's moderate image could be a liability in the Democratic presidential primaries, it might also be an asset in the general election.

More here: Is John Hickenlooper running for president as a moderate or a liberal?

Key facts about John Hickenlooper:
  • Current position: n/a — 2-term governor of Colorado until Jan. 8, 2019
  • Born: Narbeth, Pennsylvania
  • Undergraduate: Wesleyan University
  • Date candidacy announced: March 4, 2019
  • Previous roles: Governor of Colorado, mayor of Denver, restaurant and brewery owner, geologist
Hick is pretty squeaky clean and very popular in Colorado, which is a booming state now and when Hick was governor. He oversaw some pretty controversial changes in his home state including legalization of MJ--oil and gas--fracking--environmental--wind power.
The former governor has a record of working across the aisle with other governors like Kasich and Sandoval on various projects.
Hick is/was a businessman and made his way from brewery to Denver mayor and then on to the CO governor.

If you want his political position you can look here: Everything you need to know about 2020 candidate John Hickenlooper

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
I think the stage is set for a relatively unknown, like in 1976.

I've lived through the Lamm, Romer, Owens, Ritter, and Hickenlooper days. Imo, Hickenlooper is the most "regular guy" of the bunch.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
His national speaking tour with (R) John Kasich said a lot to me
He's been interviewed a number of times by Colorado Public Radio prior to his announcement. He was clear that given his age (67) if he chose to run he would consider it his one shot, and that he would give it his all.

John Hickenlooper Says He Is Running in 2020,
Citing a ‘Crisis of Division’
DENVER — John Hickenlooper, the two-time Colorado governor and former brewpub owner who has overseen Colorado’s remarkable economic expansion, declared his candidacy for president on Monday.​
Mr. Hickenlooper, 67, a socially progressive, pro-business Democrat who has called himself an “extreme moderate,” had long said he was considering a run, and made early visits to Iowa and New Hampshire. His biggest challenge will be distinguishing himself in what is sure to be a packed field of potentially history-making candidates and deep-pocketed household names.​
In his announcement, on “Good Morning America,” he said the nation had entered a “crisis of division.”​
“I think it’s probably the worst period of division we’ve had in this country since the Civil War,” he said. “Ultimately I’m running for president because I believe that not only can I beat Donald Trump, but that I am the person that can bring people together on the other side and actually get stuff done. The division is keeping us from addressing big issues like climate change and the soaring costs of health care.”​
Mr. Hickenlooper said he planned to run as a “pragmatic progressive,” a candidate with extensive executive experience in a primary field of senators. He also suggested that his childhood as a self-declared nerd had prepared him for an electoral battle against the president.​
“As a skinny kid with Coke-bottle glasses and a funny last name,” he said in a campaign video released on Monday, with the Rocky Mountains as his backdrop, “I’ve stood up to my fair share of bullies.”​

More: John Hickenlooper Says He Is Running in 2020, Citing a ‘Crisis of Division’

Nov 2012
nirvana
John Hickenlooper, the former Colorado governor who once described himself as an "extreme moderate," has announced that he will be running for president in 2020, joining an already overcrowded Democratic field.

"I’m running for president because we need dreamers in Washington, but we also need to get things done. I’ve proven again and again I can bring people together to produce the progressive change Washington has failed to deliver," Hickenlooper explained in a campaign video announcing his reasons for running.
One of the challenges that Hickenlooper will face in his campaign is figuring out how to define himself. Despite succeeding in leading Colorado to a prosperous economy and passing landmark legislation involving environmental issues and gun control, there are concerns within his home state that he won't be an effective president.

"I don’t think John has at all defined why he is running. There are very few people I know who wake up and want to go caucus to support a raging moderate," Rick Ridder, a political strategist in Colorado who is friends with Hickenlooper, told The New York Times.

On the other hand, while Hickenlooper's moderate image could be a liability in the Democratic presidential primaries, it might also be an asset in the general election.

More here: Is John Hickenlooper running for president as a moderate or a liberal?

Key facts about John Hickenlooper:
  • Current position: n/a — 2-term governor of Colorado until Jan. 8, 2019
  • Born: Narbeth, Pennsylvania
  • Undergraduate: Wesleyan University
  • Date candidacy announced: March 4, 2019
  • Previous roles: Governor of Colorado, mayor of Denver, restaurant and brewery owner, geologist
Hick is pretty squeaky clean and very popular in Colorado, which is a booming state now and when Hick was governor. He oversaw some pretty controversial changes in his home state including legalization of MJ--oil and gas--fracking--environmental--wind power.
The former governor has a record of working across the aisle with other governors like Kasich and Sandoval on various projects.
Hick is/was a businessman and made his way from brewery to Denver mayor and then on to the CO governor.

If you want his political position you can look here: Everything you need to know about 2020 candidate John Hickenlooper
If he can raise the money fine. That’s what it’s going to come down to for all of them. The candidate with the best money raising team, with the poll numbers and name recognition to back them, will be the eventual candidate. All of the others will raise enough money to help down ballot candidates win in their districts.