Jupiter, from 4,000 miles high

May 2018
Chicago
I love this mission. It's amazing all the information were getting on Jupiter now. Turns out it's a pretty freakish place. A lot of things about it seem to run counter to things here on Earth.

May 2018
USA
Seems if the Russians could land ten probes on hellish Venus 40-some years ago, we oughta be able to design a probe capable of traveling inside of Jupiter to some depth.
Impossible with our current technology :( The pressure at the surface of Jupiter is estimated to be over 2,000,000 times the atmosphere at sea level on the Earth. In order to survive touchdown on Jupiter the probe would have to withstand more pressure than the bottom of the Marianas Trench. Plus the temperature of Jupiter's surface is estimated to be well over 2 million degrees.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
I my travels, I always stayed clear of Jupiter proper preferring to spend my days on Europa, Ganymede or Callisto when in that part of "town.".

Great ice fishing on Europa. ;)

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Impossible with our current technology :( The pressure at the surface of Jupiter is estimated to be over 2,000,000 times the atmosphere at sea level on the Earth. In order to survive touchdown on Jupiter the probe would have to withstand more pressure than the bottom of the Marianas Trench. Plus the temperature of Jupiter's surface is estimated to be well over 2 million degrees.
True.

The surface of Jupiter probably isn't a surface in the way we think of surfaces. That's probably true for all the gas giants.