Justice Dept. probes carmakers

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
The Justice Department (DOJ) has opened an antitrust inquiry into 4 major automakers.

Yes! The Donald and his minions are finally going to protect the people against those money grubbing car industry execs that screw you every time you buy an overpriced car. Right on, defend the truth, fight the good fight.

Oh ...

Wait ...

They are going after them for joining California in keeping air pollution regs in place that Dotard is trying to get rid of.

I guess breathing is optional in the GOP's view.

WSJ: Justice Dept. probes carmakers in California emissions deal

Apr 2019
America
The Justice Department (DOJ) has opened an antitrust inquiry into 4 major automakers.

Yes! The Donald and his minions are finally going to protect the people against those money grubbing car industry execs that screw you every time you buy an overpriced car. Right on, defend the truth, fight the good fight.

Oh ...

Wait ...

They are going after them for joining California in keeping air pollution regs in place that Dotard is trying to get rid of.

Freaking out over scare tactics that come with climate change is also optional in the GOP's view.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Freaking out over scare tactics that come with climate change is also optional in the GOP's view.
But that's only because GOPers couldn't science which way is up. Exxon Mobil, the Heritage Foundation and the old Koch energy thank you for your stupidity.

Apr 2019
America
But that's only because GOPers couldn't science which way is up. Exxon Mobil, the Heritage Foundation and the old Koch energy thank you for your stupidity.
The economy depends on energy. Automakers depend on profit. Exactly how many years will this shave off the 12 years the world has left?

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Ya know CJ, go to a hot rod or antique car show. Stand behind one that's running. See how long you can stand there breathing the exhaust of an old car. Then imagine if EVERY car on the road still spewed that level of crap out the tail pipe. Even if you’re not convinced of climate change, I’m not totally convinced it’s only human activity, the fact is the air in this country, especially in our larger cities, is much much cleaner than it used to be. That is due to the emissions controls on modern cars.

Trump is just being petty, mean and vindictive because the auto industry didn’t just fall down and kiss his feet for trying to roll back the standards.

Most industries jump for joy at fewer/weaker regulations. In this case, it’s just the opposite.

Maybe, just maybe the Dumbster should listen to the Industry??

Apr 2019
America
Ya know CJ, go to a hot rod or antique car show. Stand behind one that's running. See how long you can stand there breathing the exhaust of an old car. Then imagine if EVERY car on the road still spewed that level of crap out the tail pipe. Even if you’re not convinced of climate change, I’m not totally convinced it’s only human activity, the fact is the air in this country, especially in our larger cities, is much much cleaner than it used to be. That is due to the emissions controls on modern cars.

Trump is just being petty, mean and vindictive because the auto industry didn’t just fall down and kiss his feet for trying to roll back the standards.

Most industries jump for joy at fewer/weaker regulations. In this case, it’s just the opposite.

Maybe, just maybe the Dumbster should listen to the Industry??
Nobody stands behind a car and willingly breathes in exhaust so I do not see why I should. You say those emissions have been reduced and the air is much cleaner. So how is this going to change air quality that drastically? The emission controls already in place are quite adequate.

Jul 2019
Georgia

Oh ...

Wait ...

trump is such an environmentalist

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Nobody stands behind a car and willingly breathes in exhaust so I do not see why I should. You say those emissions have been reduced and the air is much cleaner. So how is this going to change air quality that drastically? The emission controls already in place are quite adequate.

You are correct. The current standards are quite adequate. Since 1973 car makers have reduced tail pipe emissions of CO, HC, NOx, by 98%. Trump is trying to GO BACKWARDS !!!! Not just freeze them at current levels. However our cars are over weight. Airbags and sound deadening, and all the other stuff in our modern cars adds weight. Weight of course reduced gas mileage. A 66 Mustang weighed between 2800 and 3000 lbs depending on equipment. The current Mustang weighs in a a hefty 3500 to 3800 lbs. The reason the current Challenger needs 700 horse power to be seriously fast is it weighs a ridiculous 4200 lbs.

Raising the gas mileage standards lowers ALL the emissions coming out of the vehicle. When you burn less gas, you produce less of everything, including CO2. Electrics are even more efficient. They have no tail pipes and pound for pound, and mile for mile, even if the charging wasn't from a particularly clean energy source, there are still less emissions because the electrics are more efficient. Take X energy as liquid gas and go say 30 miles. Take the same energy as pure electric and go 60 miles.

Reactions: Hollywood and se7en