Justice Dept. to Congress: Back off contempt process, or Barr will ask Trump to shield census documents

Oct 2010
Colorado
Is anyone believing this shit?

Justice Dept. to Congress: Back off contempt process, or Barr will ask Trump to shield census documents
Attorney General William P. Barr will ask President Trump to assert executive privilege to shield documents from the administration’s decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 Census if Democratic lawmakers on the House Oversight Committee proceed toward holding Barr in contempt, the Justice Department revealed in a letter Tuesday.​
The revelation came on the eve of an expected Oversight Committee vote to hold Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross in contempt for failing to turn over documents that lawmakers had subpoenaed, as well as stopping a witness from testifying without a Justice Department lawyer. Assistant Attorney General Stephen E. Boyd wrote that the decision to schedule the vote was “premature” and accused lawmakers of refusing to negotiate with the department to get at least some of what they wanted.​
“In the face of this threatened contempt vote, the Attorney General is now compelled to request that the President invoke executive privilege with respect to the materials subject to the subpoena to the Attorney General and the subpoena to the Secretary of the Department of Commerce,” Boyd wrote. “I hereby request that the Committee hold the subpoenas in abeyance and delay any vote on whether to recommend a citation of contempt for noncompliance with the subpoenas, pending the President’s determination of this question.”​
Boyd added that if the committee rejected the request, the department would “be forced to reevaluate its current production efforts in ongoing matters.” He requested that the committee respond by 5 p.m. Tuesday and noted that the president had not yet asserted executive privilege to protect the documents from disclosure.​
Later Tuesday, Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah E. Cummings (D-Md.) responded in a letter that because the department had made “no commitments to provide any portion of the critical documents required by the subpoena,” he would not postpone the contempt vote.​

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2795fca3343_story.html?utm_term=.fecfcee077ef

May 2018
Chicago
How about this? All of us US citizens who have been born here say we're illegal on the census? When the census folks show up, say you're here illegally. I could probably claim I'm from Germany, since that's where my family fled before WW2. If I could get German citizenship and be deported, I'd be fine with that. Let's do it! Who else in on board?

Last edited:
Dec 2015
Arizona
Is anyone believing this shit?

Attorney General William P. Barr will ask President Trump to assert executive privilege to shield documents from the administration’s decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 Census if Democratic lawmakers on the House Oversight Committee proceed toward holding Barr in contempt, the Justice Department revealed in a letter Tuesday.​
The revelation came on the eve of an expected Oversight Committee vote to hold Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross in contempt for failing to turn over documents that lawmakers had subpoenaed, as well as stopping a witness from testifying without a Justice Department lawyer. Assistant Attorney General Stephen E. Boyd wrote that the decision to schedule the vote was “premature” and accused lawmakers of refusing to negotiate with the department to get at least some of what they wanted.​
“In the face of this threatened contempt vote, the Attorney General is now compelled to request that the President invoke executive privilege with respect to the materials subject to the subpoena to the Attorney General and the subpoena to the Secretary of the Department of Commerce,” Boyd wrote. “I hereby request that the Committee hold the subpoenas in abeyance and delay any vote on whether to recommend a citation of contempt for noncompliance with the subpoenas, pending the President’s determination of this question.”​
Boyd added that if the committee rejected the request, the department would “be forced to reevaluate its current production efforts in ongoing matters.” He requested that the committee respond by 5 p.m. Tuesday and noted that the president had not yet asserted executive privilege to protect the documents from disclosure.​
Later Tuesday, Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah E. Cummings (D-Md.) responded in a letter that because the department had made “no commitments to provide any portion of the critical documents required by the subpoena,” he would not postpone the contempt vote.​

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2795fca3343_story.html?utm_term=.fecfcee077ef
Don't you wonder about the undercurrent in the DOJ right now? I'd love to be a fly on the wall---to hear what's being said at the water cooler.
Just think of the year we've been through and now we have ANOTHER AG who is protecting Trump and in fact advising Trump on how to respond to the investigation.
Have you read Barr's defense of this crap? You'll love it and it falls squarely into the "Normalizing Trump" file:
The president is not 'an errand boy for Congress': Barr says he's protecting the presidency, not Trump!
We've seen this before. It's happened. Of course it didn't end well and you'd think an educated, experienced man like Barr would have some sort of recall, although I'm sure he sees his partisanship as much more justified than the Saturday Night Massacre. Not nearly as dramatic, is it? Just insidious as hell.
To normalize this behavior we'd have to assume that previous attorneys general have faced the kind of criminality that we’ve seen from Trump.
But have we? Even with Nixon?
So let me ask this one more time. Trump's reign and Barr's career WILL END and then what?

Oct 2010
Colorado
Don't you wonder about the undercurrent in the DOJ right now? I'd love to be a fly on the wall---to hear what's being said at the water cooler.
Just think of the year we've been through and now we have ANOTHER AG who is protecting Trump and in fact advising Trump on how to respond to the investigation.
Have you read Barr's defense of this crap? You'll love it and it falls squarely into the "Normalizing Trump" file:
The president is not 'an errand boy for Congress': Barr says he's protecting the presidency, not Trump!
We've seen this before. It's happened. Of course it didn't end well and you'd think an educated, experienced man like Barr would have some sort of recall, although I'm sure he sees his partisanship as much more justified than the Saturday Night Massacre. Not nearly as dramatic, is it? Just insidious as hell.
To normalize this behavior we'd have to assume that previous attorneys general have faced the kind of criminality that we’ve seen from Trump.
But have we? Even with Nixon?
So let me ask this one more time. Trump's reign and Barr's career WILL END and then what?
Let's say Barr is "successful," that basically the executive branch can do any damned thing it wants, and piss off everyone.

Could purges be too far behind that?

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Let's say Barr is "successful," that basically the executive branch can do any damned thing it wants, and piss off everyone.

Could purges be too far behind that?

Every president since GW (Washington, not Bush) to Trump has invoked or had the power to invoke executive privilege

eric holder in Fast and Furious oversight is one example,
GW invoked privilege
Clinton White Water, Travel Gate
GWH Bush Iran Contra

just the latest examples.

Oct 2010
Colorado
Every president since GW (Washington, not Bush) to Trump has invoked or had the power to invoke executive privilege

GW invoked privilege
GWH Bush Iran Contra

Every single example is bullshit, just like the current one.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA

GW invoked privilege
GWH Bush Iran Contra

Only the President can invoke Executive Privilege.
Eric Holder couldn’t do it and neither could Bush Sr in Iran Contra (he was VP then)