Justice Ginsburg

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
Yes, she's going to "work from home" while recovering.
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg missing oral arguments for first time in 25 years on Supreme Court
On edit there is precedence for it, another justice did that while being treated for cancer too. I don't recall who.
Thanks - I honestly didn't realize she would still vote.

I don't think I agree with that. Not that I believe she would 'slack off' and not do her homework - but I don't know that every justice could be trusted in that way, and everybody should be treated the same way.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Nov 2018
Inner Space
I wish Ginsburg many more years of good health, but her illness does highlight the need for a retirement age on the court.

The stakes are simply too high. The work is incredibly demanding, and let's be honest, the ravages of old age take their toll on everyone, even the very brightest among us. Octogenarians are simply not in their prime years by anyone's standards, or even close. Worse still, when the court's philosophical majority hangs in the balance every old-age illness becomes a national crisis. And by the time a judge's faculties decline to the point where Constitutional means can be used to remove them from office, it's almost certainly too late as any number of cases will have already been compromised.

Make it 70, make it 75, whatever. But the lifetime tenure of our most important judges has got to go.
Age may be a factor, but I will not hold that against the younger judges... per Reagan.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
There's a little fact that is going largely unnoticed. She's broken her ribs twice, had a stint put in for a clogged artery, and is recovering from her second bout with cancer. And this is the FIRST TIME she has missed a day of work in 25 years and she's STILL reviewing cases during recovery.

You want to know why liberals love her so much? 1. Yea, she's liberal. 2. She's a gyad dang badass

Dec 2018
New England
There's a little fact that is going largely unnoticed. She's broken her ribs twice, had a stint put in for a clogged artery, and is recovering from her second bout with cancer. And this is the FIRST TIME she has missed a day of work in 25 years and she's STILL reviewing cases during recovery.

You want to know why liberals love her so much? 1. Yea, she's liberal. 2. She's a gyad dang badass
Agreed. She's nails.

Nov 2012
Michigan
Everyone ages differently. An arbitrary number is not an appropriate measure of judicial competence. An unbiased medical evaluation could be used.

Jul 2018
Earth
I wish Ginsburg many more years of good health, but her illness does highlight the need for a retirement age on the court.

The stakes are simply too high. The work is incredibly demanding, and let's be honest, the ravages of old age take their toll on everyone, even the very brightest among us. Octogenarians are simply not in their prime years by anyone's standards, or even close. Worse still, when the court's philosophical majority hangs in the balance every old-age illness becomes a national crisis. And by the time a judge's faculties decline to the point where Constitutional means can be used to remove them from office, it's almost certainly too late as any number of cases will have already been compromised.

Make it 70, make it 75, whatever. But the lifetime tenure of our most important judges has got to go.
The old buzzard thinks that she is Methuselah's daughter.

Jul 2018
Earth
She should recuse while she's in recovery. Invasive surgery in advanced age patients usually requires long periods of time using strong pain relievers. Her inability to attend to court business at her office is an indication that she is in pain and might well be taking strong pain relievers. Making crucial SCOTUS decisions should require no impairment.
The judges' clerks write their opinions. The old buzzards just collect their government checks.

May 2018
Chicago
Everyone ages differently. An arbitrary number is not an appropriate measure of judicial competence. An unbiased medical evaluation could be used.
Here's my evaluation.Lady can vote and as long as she is alive we can stop you cons from making us gay people illegal.

If we lose her, I might end up in a camp. You've been wanting that for a while.

Last edited: