Kentucky governor says Kim Davis should pay legal fees in same-sex marriage case

Jun 2012
Barsoom
It is not hidden Jimmyb. You just do not see it.
Where îs this hidden clause that gives the Supreme Court the power to "say what the constitution means," and jurisdiction over a state's constitution and laws?

Dec 2018
Unionville Indiana
Article VI, clause 2. Referred to as the Supremacy Clause
He denies the Supremacy Clause in its entirety as practiced for the last 200 years. According to Jimmy and in the cryptic words of some unidentified Framer, local city councils were intended to interpret the Constitution should any disagreement over its meaning ever arise.

Jun 2012
Barsoom
He denies the Supremacy Clause in its entirety as practiced for the last 200 years. According to Jimmy and in the cryptic words of some unidentified Framer, local city councils were intended to interpret the Constitution should any disagreement over its meaning ever arise.
Let us take a look at these supremacy clause Supreme Court cases going back two hundred years.

Jun 2012
Barsoom
Someone needs to produce a supremacy clause case back 200 years that supports their statist/monarchial views.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
The supremacy clause was created to protect the states from laws that are not constitutional, and to protect Congress from state laws that contradict its Article I powers. The Supreme Court is not mentioned in Article VI.
Of course, the Supreme Court must determine the constitutionality of the suspect laws by applying the implications and values embodied in the Constitution.

Jun 2012
Barsoom
I'm just your pliable pupil, your Honor. Tell us, when did the Supreme Court FIRST strike down a state statute? Or has it ever done so?
I did not make the 200 year claim. Now produce a 200 year old Supreme Court case regarding the supremacy clause that supports your views.

Dec 2018
Unionville Indiana
I did not make the 200 year claim. Now produce a 200 year old Supreme Court case regarding the supremacy clause that supports your views.
And when I do produce such a case, you'll claim that the Court didn't invoke the Supremacy Clause. We've been through this little game of yours before ad nauseam.

Has the High Court ever invoked the Supremacy Clause in your opinion or not? If not, what's your problem with it?

Jun 2012
Barsoom
Has the High Court ever invoked the Supremacy Clause in your opinion or not? If not, what's your problem with it?
The court has, and it was limited to Article I powers as is the intent of the supremacy clause.