Kids react to 2+2=5 (common core)

Feb 2014
nunya
you're spending the money - I want it spent equally
So you are concerned with the equality more than the actual result. Are you familiar with Camden New Jersey and its school districts? You should probably read up on that. They did exactly as you are suggesting.

Aug 2014
Earth
Has a parent ever challenged a school system on this system? I have been looking at some videos, and frankly their system is bizarre and while I think it tries to make something simple, it really makes it more difficult in the end.

Also, how are the parents who grew up "in the old days" supposed to help children with their homework? The child will be penalized for having the right answer, but not doing it "their way". Education should be much more freer and open than that. No wonder kids hate school so much.

Math to me was very, very boring. This is the class I slept in so I can enjoy my history, geography and science class (science was fun, but difficult).

Reactions: 2 people

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Has a parent ever challenged a school system on this system? I have been looking at some videos, and frankly their system is bizarre and while I think it tries to make something simple, it really makes it more difficult in the end.

Also, how are the parents who grew up "in the old days" supposed to help children with their homework? The child will be penalized for having the right answer, but not doing it "their way". Education should be much more freer and open than that. No wonder kids hate school so much.

Math to me was very, very boring. This is the class I slept in so I can enjoy my history, geography and science class (science was fun, but difficult).
First, are you sure you were looking at video of common core? Since common core isn't any method or tactic.

Secondly, why are you wanting to condemn your kids to old fashioned thinking? Were parents who were taught that the world was flat and the sun revolved around the world supposed to impose that on their kids since they couldn't help them with it?

The "new math" my grandkids are being taught is wonderful for expanding concepts, integrating into the digital age and a vast improvement over the rote memorization of times tables and recipes for solving problems we were taught.

Jun 2019
NC
this is an interesting look at common core.

The supreme court doesn't make the law, it enforces the law. Common Core doesn't make the curriculum, merely requires standardized testing along with accountability.

KnightOfSappho

Forum Staff
Feb 2007
New York
you're spending the money - I want it spent equally
Here is where you and I disagree. Much in the same way that a parent will split time spent amongst his or her children based on the children's needs, schools should be funded based on the needs of the children in the community.

May 2019
USA
I think common core is more a set of standards than techniques and this "new math" is just one of the techniques some buy into. My dad said it looked too much like some system called finger bop or something they used to sell on TV to try to teach kids math that never caught on--basically a way to teach people to count more elaborately with their fingers.

Jun 2019
NC
Here is where you and I disagree. Much in the same way that a parent will split time spent amongst his or her children based on the children's needs, schools should be funded based on the needs of the children in the community.
That concept makes sense, strengthen the weakest link. But it's not so much of funding as it is in good technique. I recall reading how the attention span of students is at its best in the first and last ten minutes of a class. I get that, I recall falling practically asleep in between. But we never put that theory into practice here in the US, as a matter of fact, we doubled down and made classes twice as long. Classes now rather than be 45 minutes they're an hour and a half, for Pete's sake does that make sense to anyone. Not to mention that instead of kids having more diverse classes in eight, they have less with only four. THEN to add more craziness to it, some classes are not given for half of your school year. (speaking of high school) That means that if a kid has say math in the beginning of one year, and at the end of his second year, he can literally go a year without math, now I ask anyone, what do you think a students retention is by the time that kid is seated once again down in a math class.

Now, this has nothing to do with Common Core, but it does have to do with sheer stupidity. Just saying, then we ask why are the kids not doing as well.

Denmark is one of the countries that have shortened their class time and are seeing the kids make great strides, they have more free time, and the schools save money, sounds like a win-win, but we're not even attempting to check it out.

Reactions: KnightOfSappho