Landmark State Court Ruling Says THC in Blood is NOT Sufficient Grounds for DUI Read

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Which brings up my second point.

The punishment has to fit the crime.

We also hear about conservative types who are just made to apologize, or not charged with any crime at all.

On a scale of 10,000 to one compared to "Hollywood" types.

And speaking of criminal wealth redistribution, not one single banker or hedgefund manager went to jail after the economic crash in 07-08.

In fact one of them was just rewarded with a job in the new Trump administration.

Any banker or hedgefund manager that engages in such criminal mischief, should have every last dime of their wealth, confiscated right down to their undershorts.

That's punishment befitting the crime.

Until that happens, I won't even entertain anyone else's opinion is on crime and punishment.

Especially anything involving cannabis laws started by racist assholes in the 1930's, still be enforced by racist assholes in 2017.

Racism may have played a critical part in how the laws were passed but you are fooling yourself if you think that is the reasoning behind them.

Nice shot at derailing the thread though.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Your statement rings true.

I am a retired Soldier that is a center right wing hippie who voted as with my wife here in Colorado to regulate pot the same as booze and beer. To let adults choose without federal say.

I do not smoke it nor does my wife but we have many friends that do, responsible friends that have professional careers and lead productive lives.
You can attest, in Colorado for some reason the right and the left get along and can work with each other. It can happen. :)

Cannabis was "legalized" in parts of Colorado 4-5 years before it was officially legalized. Law enforcement simply stopped enforcing pot laws. I got that straight from the mouths of several LEOs whom I know.

Last edited:

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
I disagree. The marijuana that is used today has a much higher level of THC than before. Stoned is stoned. It affects judgment. I do not want to deal with drunks or stoned people on the road or flying an airplane or steering a ship.

This is promising
Engineers develop the 'potalyzer,' a roadside saliva test for marijuana intoxication
You keep hearing this rationale. Here's the reality. Most people take a couple of tokes instead of smoking a joint. Now there are the abusers, but that's true of everything including greasy fried chicken. :lol:

Reactions: 1 person

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
This is true but conservatives especially now are on the states rights thing I don't see that publicly regressing. I think that it was Oklahoma that wanted to charge Colorado as a "drug cartel" as the weed was crossing over into their state and as soon as the states right argument came into it it lost all steam.

The head of the DEA now is absolutely owned by big pharma, no questions there. I am in no way defending this new guy I am just trying to look at it from a logical perspective. Where he (sessions)is comming from pot is illegal, so he was following the law of the land. Could he go bat shit and start to go after places like Colorado? Of course he could but I think it would be detrimental to the party for the exact same reasons that Obama never made a move to remove the law it would be political suicide. The views on drug laws have done a 180 since big Ron was in office and the majority of Americans feel that weed should be legal. Something like 70% and only keeps going up as the baby boomers will continue to die off. Plus there is no way for them to attempt to give things like abortion laws to the states and try and take drug laws away. IMO that is the laws to be concerned about and the play that I think that they will likely make.

This is why I was wondering why it was being a conservative issue as the Obama administration has not been a friend. Ask any grower or shop owner how banking has been. It is still a federal crime and that is the department of the POTUS.
The Supreme court refused 6-2 to hear Oklahoma's and Nebraska's lawsuits against Colorado.

Three of the four marijuana lawsuits filed against Colorado officials and businesses were organized and partially funded by out-of-state anti-drug organizations and socially conservative law firms, a Denver Post investigation revealed in January.
Supreme Court denies Oklahoma and Nebraska challenge to Colorado pot ? The Denver Post

OK and NB are solid red. Sessions did far more than advocate following the law of the land. He editorialized:

"... this drug is dangerous, you cannot play with it, it is not funny, it's not something to laugh about... and to send that message with clarity that good people don't smoke marijuana."
And there he revealed why legalizing cannabis has taken so long. So many people felt like they are "better" people for not using cannabis. Giving up a reason you're better than others is really tough, a blow to one's self-esteem. :zany:

It seems there's no way Sessions would go after state cannabis laws? It seemed there was no way Trump would ever be elected president. And then, after he was, he chose anti-cannabis Sessions. And the back door of course is the international treaty we signed, the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, that specifies cannabis is illegal.

I agree. If anyone goes after it now, there'll be a revolution. B)

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
The Supreme court refused 6-2 to hear Oklahoma's and Nebraska's lawsuits against Colorado.

Supreme Court denies Oklahoma and Nebraska challenge to Colorado pot ? The Denver Post

OK and NB are solid red. Sessions did far more than advocate following the law of the land. He editorialized:

And there he revealed why legalizing cannabis has taken so long. So many people felt like they are "better" people for not using cannabis. Giving up a reason you're better than others is really tough, a blow to one's self-esteem. :zany:

It seems there's no way Sessions would go after state cannabis laws? It seemed there was no way Trump would ever be elected president. And then, after he was, he chose anti-cannabis Sessions. And the back door of course is the international treaty we signed, the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, that specifies cannabis is illegal.

I agree. If anyone goes after it now, there'll be a revolution. B)
The underground marijuana trade has been going on long before I was born. Cannabis has been found in ancient Egyptian tombs. Hemp fiber made strong rope so we could sail the ocean blue.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
<snip>

Cannabis was "legalized" in parts of Colorado 4-5 years before it was officially legalized. Law enforcement simply stopped enforcing pot laws. I got that straight from the mouths of several LEOs whom I know.
That is what has happened in much of Canada about the year 2000. Anyone busted for less than large scale trafficking, the cops used it as an excuse to get someone they wanted but couldn't make a real charge stick.

And the courts tended to just give a no record and small fine sentence for most of those.

Reactions: 2 people

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
The underground marijuana trade has been going on long before I was born. Cannabis has been found in ancient Egyptian tombs. Hemp fiber made strong rope so we could sail the ocean blue.
The "underground" cannabis trade has been going on in the US since 1937 when it was effectively criminalized. And yes indeed, a racist element - and plain insanity - was part of the criminalization from the outset. From the US' first drug czar, "law and order" evangelist Harry Anslinger:

“There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others.”

“…the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races.”

“Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death.”

“Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.”

“Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing”

“You smoke a joint and you’re likely to kill your brother.”

“Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.”

Did you note?

“Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing”

And:

“Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.”

Nucking futs. And he had allies.

Harry Anslinger got some additional help from William Randolf Hearst, owner of a huge chain of newspapers. Hearst had lots of reasons to help. First, he hated Mexicans. Second, he had invested heavily in the timber industry to support his newspaper chain and didn’t want to see the development of hemp paper in competition. Third, he had lost 800,000 acres of timberland to Pancho Villa, so he hated Mexicans. Fourth, telling lurid lies about Mexicans (and the devil marijuana weed causing violence) sold newspapers, making him rich.

Some samples from the San Francisco Examiner:

“Marihuana makes fiends of boys in thirty days — Hashish goads users to bloodlust.”

“By the tons it is coming into this country — the deadly, dreadful poison that racks and tears not only the body, but the very heart and soul of every human being who once becomes a slave to it in any of its cruel and devastating forms…. Marihuana is a short cut to the insane asylum. Smoke marihuana cigarettes for a month and what was once your brain will be nothing but a storehouse of horrid specters. Hasheesh makes a murderer who kills for the love of killing out of the mildest mannered man who ever laughed at the idea that any habit could ever get him….”

And other nationwide columns…

“Users of marijuana become STIMULATED as they inhale the drug and are LIKELY TO DO ANYTHING. Most crimes of violence in this section, especially in country districts are laid to users of that drug.”

“Was it marijuana, the new Mexican drug, that nerved the murderous arm of Clara Phillips when she hammered out her victim’s life in Los Angeles?… THREE-FOURTHS OF THE CRIMES of violence in this country today are committed by DOPE SLAVES — that is a matter of cold record.”

Hearst and Anslinger were then supported by Dupont chemical company and various pharmaceutical companies in the effort to outlaw cannabis. Dupont had patented nylon, and wanted hemp removed as competition. The pharmaceutical companies could neither identify nor standardize cannabis dosages, and besides, with cannabis, folks could grow their own medicine and not have to purchase it from large companies.​

Why is Marijuana Illegal? « Drug WarRant

The insanity and corruption still survives and expands in places to this day, to wit: The DEA classifying CBD as a Schedule 1 drug.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
That is what has happened in much of Canada about the year 2000. Anyone busted for less than large scale trafficking, the cops used it as an excuse to get someone they wanted but couldn't make a real charge stick.

And the courts tended to just give a no record and small fine sentence for most of those.
I never sold and just bought pot for medicinal reasons and was never a dealer. I never got busted even after 46 years and think I have a guardian angel that mother said.

Feb 2014
nunya
Which brings up my second point.

The punishment has to fit the crime.

We also hear about conservative types who are just made to apologize, or not charged with any crime at all.

On a scale of 10,000 to one compared to "Hollywood" types.

And speaking of criminal wealth redistribution, not one single banker or hedgefund manager went to jail after the economic crash in 07-08.

In fact one of them was just rewarded with a job in the new Trump administration.

Any banker or hedgefund manager that engages in such criminal mischief, should have every last dime of their wealth, confiscated right down to their undershorts.

That's punishment befitting the crime.

Until that happens, I won't even entertain anyone else's opinion is on crime and punishment.

Especially anything involving cannabis laws started by racist assholes in the 1930's, still be enforced by racist assholes in 2017.
There is moving the goal post..then there is this.

Feb 2014
nunya
You keep hearing this rationale. Here's the reality. Most people take a couple of tokes instead of smoking a joint. Now there are the abusers, but that's true of everything including greasy fried chicken. :lol:
And most people who are regular drinkers can drink three beers in 30 minutes and drive away without any affect at all, yet they are still above the legal limit. Unfortunately, there has to be a one size fits all rational to this.