Let's Hear It for the Girls!

Sep 2015
Stage Left
i love her, and more importantly i am so excited to not only have seen a record number of women running for officer around the country ------------------------------> but also this record number headed to the House :love:

Nov 2012
nirvana
They’re in denial mode this morning. They think Trump won again.

Wait until January 3rd.

I wonder if they realize the speaker of the house actually has more power than the
Record numbers of women are heading to Congress!
More than 100 women were projected to win seats in the House of Representatives, easily shattering the record. Overwhelmingly they were Democrats who helped the party take control of the chamber.

Women have never held more than 84 of the 435 seats in the House. By 1:30 a.m. Wednesday as the votes were still being counted, 92 had already been declared winners.

“Women made history in a number of ways and were a significant force in flipping many districts from red to blue,” said Kelly Dittmar, a political scientist at the Center for American Women and Politics at Rutgers University.

Many of the winning candidates campaigned on the need for better health care for all Americans. They come from a wide variety of backgrounds — from military veterans to teachers — and many had never run for office before.
Women made inroads in gubernatorial races, too, which are particularly important because of the upcoming redistricting battles.

In both Kansas and Michigan, women flipped states that had been under Republican control. The women who ran this year were remarkably diverse — black, Latina, Native American. But noticeably absent on ballots were more Republican women.

(Some of the women candidates ran on simple, blunt campaign slogans--like Michigan's new governor Gretchen Whitmer who's battle cry was: FIX THE DAMN ROADS!)

Are women fired up?? That's putting it mildly. Watch out boys, we're coming for your club.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...55347f48762_story.html?utm_term=.7bdfa7b6c481
I thought you might enjoy this.

The Trump Post-Election Traumatic Meltdown

Jun 2012
Barsoom
The most interesting thing about this thread is the lack of statements regarding following their oath of office, the constitutional role of a congressman vis-a-vis their platforms, etc. The theme is that is good only because they are women, which is a very poor way to judge any politician. That is as poor as judging a congressman based on their white maleness.

I think it would be great if at least once a day one of Ocasio-Cortez's quotes are made very public. I really enjoy reading what she has to say regarding what her plans are in D.C.

Last edited:
Jun 2005
Corpus Christi, Texas
I think it would be great if at least once a day one of Ocasio-Cortez's quotes are made very public. I really enjoy reading what she has to say regarding what her plans are in D.C.
She is truly the gift that keeps on giving, isn't she? :lol:

Jun 2012
Barsoom
She is truly the gift that keeps on giving, isn't she? :lol:
Medicare for all and the trillions of dollars cost:

People often say, how are you gonna pay for it? And I find the question so puzzling because, how do you pay for something that’s more affordable? How do you pay for cheaper rent? How do you pay for—you just pay for it.

Dec 2017
USA
Her best interview to date and easily the most honest

See, that is why you cannot have these half decade long, 'one-view-perspective' College degrees that are deemed entirely legitimate. Cortez is essentially regurgitating what she was taught in College, (possibly) genuinely thinking it is the objective truth about the world, which others lack information about (as, they do not have her degree). Meanwhile, unbeknownst to her, her Professors' were spouting their own parties/sides claims as 'how things actually work', and silenced/deleted all other counterarguments/perspectives.

There is a fair chance she is oblivious, as she comes off as too much of an air-head to knowingly have all the other information in mind, and then misrepresent everything malevolently.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Medicare for all would up that to $7 trillion per year.
According to whom?

And let's not discuss this in a vacuum. Many addressable factors, such as the absurdly high prices US citizens pay for pharmaceuticals, aren't addressed because the insurance/pharmaceutical lobby is way too strong. Our oligarchs own many members of our government. They are good capitalists, and they seek to maximize profit above all.

Concisely, good healthcare could be delivered far more reasonably.