LGBXYZ

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
This isn't really an example of Newspeak. This is just a label change.
Newspeak changes facts. And treats new developments as if they are simply the status quo. The alternative facts that are churned out on an almost daily basis by the fat orange turd are far better examples of Newspeak.

Dec 2015
Arizona
I don't care what they call them.
But there's nothing in your post that states these are going to be performed on children, which is what the discussion seems to be revolving around.
If people who have gone through this kind of mental difficulty for years feel more comfortable with their doctor calling their sex change operation a gender affirming operation, I couldn't care less. Except for discussions like this one, I don't think the issue comes up in my daily discussion very ... well - ever.
I'm with you on this one. I don't care what they call them either. As the world changes, the names change. Example: Global warming is now referred to as Climate Change.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
I don't care what they call them.
But there's nothing in your post that states these are going to be performed on children, which is what the discussion seems to be revolving around.
If people who have gone through this kind of mental difficulty for years feel more comfortable with their doctor calling their sex change operation a gender affirming operation, I couldn't care less. Except for discussions like this one, I don't think the issue comes up in my daily discussion very ... well - ever.
In Canada, it is not possible to legally do these types of surgeries to people under the legal age of consent. And if you are old enough to give informed consent, you still need to have two psychiatrists OK you for it. And I like those safeguards.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
Yes, we have very strict regulations about it here, too. I think it's easier to get hormone treatments - but that's all reversible.
I've never really understood gender dysphoria. I accept that it's a real thing - but I just don't totally grasp it. I understand that people who are mentally ill sometimes think they're something other than what they are - but gender dysphoria is not a mental illness. It's unique unto itself. It bewilders me. But, if they can find comfort in some form of medical procedure, god bless 'em! And, I don't care what they call it. It's no skin off my nose.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Yes, we have very strict regulations about it here, too. I think it's easier to get hormone treatments - but that's all reversible.
I've never really understood gender dysphoria. I accept that it's a real thing - but I just don't totally grasp it. I understand that people who are mentally ill sometimes think they're something other than what they are - but gender dysphoria is not a mental illness. It's unique unto itself. It bewilders me. But, if they can find comfort in some form of medical procedure, god bless 'em! And, I don't care what they call it. It's no skin off my nose.
Story.
Our niece has two children. The first was a baby girl adopted in China because mom and dad couldn't get pregnant. Then BOOM--our niece got pregnant and had a baby girl. The girls were beautiful, smart, sweet girls--one Chinese with dark brown eyes and black hair---one with sky-blue eyes and blonde hair. They were barely a year apart and very close.
Our biological great-niece started dressing like a tom-boy, loved sports of all sorts and cut her hair super short. As she got into high school we noticed more boyish styles. When she turned 19 she had a double mastectomy and began taking hormones. We now KNOW that she/he is transgender so I just asked our niece how we could let this young adult know that we totally supported HIM. It's been an education for the whole family, but basically, this young person KNEW from a very young age that HIS gender was ALL wrong. It has been a difficult journey for the parents--as you can imagine--seeing their child so unhappy. I don't pretend to understand it but when you love someone you just want them to be happy.

Sep 2017
Hell
I was an early supporter of gay marriage. I have always supported the rights of LGBT etc, individuals. But is there a limit?
What is "early" supporter? Throughout history, Gay Marriage have had to battle social, cultural, and religious barriers. I believe that marriage, straight, gay, polygamy is not for any government to decide or regulate. If the act is not illegal, such as incest, underage, beastiality, etc then the government has no right to say who can or cannot marry. I find it especially touchy if there are such things as tax benefits that are involved. Why would a straight couple get tax benefits for having children either natural or adopted while married, but not while merely living together - which was exactly the same obstacle that a gay couple faced when it was illegal for them to get married?

May 2018
Chicago
I was an early supporter of gay marriage. I have always supported the rights of LGBT etc, individuals. But is there a limit?

With echos of "you kids get off my lawn" reverberating in my head, the province I live in, British Columbia has just announced that they are setting up a clinic that will perform - get this - "gender affirming lower surgeries". I'm old enough to remember when they were called sex-change operations. But isn't this PC taken too far?
Aren't they free to call it whatever they want? I'm pretty sure this surgical procedure does not affect you in any way. So I'm not sure what your issue is with this. Perhaps they call it this for the benefit of their patients. Regardless, it has nothing to do with you.

Aug 2019
De Congo
Men turned into women will eventually rewrite ALL of the female athletic records. I guess one would really need to be an Enlightened Progressive Sheeple in order to think that there is nothing wrong with this.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
I don't know of a single person who doesn't think it's wrong. Including the male-to-female athletes who are forced to compete against women because the men's leagues will not allow them into their competitions.

Also, female-to-male athletes are not allowed to compete against women, so they are completely eliminated from competing as it would be ludicrous for them to compete against men.