Louisiana pastor defies coronavirus order, draws over 1,000 people to services -- "The virus, we believe, is politically motivated"

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee

Old Joke:

A flood is coming, the water is steadily rising. A man is standing on his front porch watching the water rise. It's just a few inches below the front porch of his house. About this time a neighbor in a boat comes along tells the man "get in let's get out of here, this flood is just getting started". The man tells the neighbor "No need, God will take care of me" and refuses to get in the boat.

A while later the man's house is now half underwater, he's standing at a window upstairs when another boat comes by. The people pull up next to the house and implore him to get in the boat and leave with them as the water will continue to rise. But once again he declines, saying "No need, God will provide".

A few hours later the man is standing on the roof of his now almost completely submerged house. A helicopter flies over, seeing him stranded they turn around, hover over the house, and drop a rope to the man. Again he declines the offer of help, says yet again "God will take care of me". After waiting as long as they could the helicopter finally flies away.

Sometime later, the house and the man are washed away and the man is drowned in the rushing water. He gets up to heaven and upon seeing God, asks "Lord WHY did you let me die ??" To which God replied, "I sent two boats and a helicopter, what more did you want ??".

Faith is one thing. Stupidity is something else entirely.

Feb 2020
Houston
Reminds me of my Dad's favorite joke:

Man and his wife find themselves on an inflatable life boat after their cruise ship sinks.

They realize that the boat is leaking air and will sink if they don't repair it. The man asks his wife, "hand me those shears so I can cut a patch."

His wife says "shears? You mean the scissors?"

The man says, "Well actually, they are shears, but whatever. I need them to patch the boat, hand them to me."

The wife says, "These are obviously scissors, I can't believe you would even argue the point."

It goes on like that for several minutes.

The lifeboat sinks of course. As they go under for the last time, the wife holds her hand out of the water and *makes scissors sign with hand*

My dad loved that joke.

My mom, not so much.

• Haha
Reactions: FrostKing and Neil
Dec 2018
Wisconsin
UDub I don't think I've talked to you before so hi.
I'm just wondering if it makes sense to punish people for gathering together by sending them to a crowded prison?
Isn't that like banning suicide with the death penalty as punishment?
Fair point. And I should have clarified in my OP that I don't support putting people in prison for breaking these state-imposed rules. I think a fine will suffice.

What I was trying to get at was whatever the rules/consequences are set in place for Lousianna, these people should have to follow them just like anyone else.

Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
As if we didn't need any more examples of what complete scumbags so many on the right are, here you go. Seriously, they are no better than ISIS or Taliban. They are going to cause lockdown to be dragged out even more.

YEah, all those deaths and those sick and hospitalized is all fake, all over the world.,

If only the virus targeted the scumbags

Reactions: se7en
Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
It would be wonderful if they all got sick so that they would know the error of their ways. That would be a good example to the rest of the country and to the dummy in the White House. We should know how it turns out in another week or so.
There has already been examples, those people don't care. Like the NBA douche that was going around touching microphones and touching his teammates stuff, he got it and passed it to teammates. It is what precipitated the sports leagues being suspended

And also republican congressmen who said it was a hoax, now have it. And worse, went around spreading it.

Reactions: imaginethat
Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Yes, but included along with these will be a lot of people that got infected because a lot of liberal college students on spring break wanted to mock the lockdown with their antics by defying guidelines and gathering amassed at beaches in California and Florida.

Young people think they are bulletproof, and the religious zealots think GOD will protect if they believe strongly enough and ignore logic and wisdom, but in reality God shuns all those that refuse to help themselves by being intentional idiots.
It was the asshole governor of Florida that didn't close the beaches down. That's why they are mandating stay at home, because too many people don't listen. And its not just young college liberals. Blue states are acting and ordering stay at home orders,and many red states not and claiming its a hoax and now they are getting increased spread and could face dire situation soon. Because republicans only care about making money at all costs, that's even more obvious now

Mar 2020
Woodlands, Texas
Fair point. And I should have clarified in my OP that I don't support putting people in prison for breaking these state-imposed rules. I think a fine will suffice.

What I was trying to get at was whatever the rules/consequences are set in place for Lousianna, these people should have to follow them just like anyone else.
What if they just lost the right to get the any money from the stimulus?
Seems like they think the whole thing is a joke, so they dont' need it anyway.

This is the difference I've noticed between Jews and Christians. Christians who truly believe the Messiah already came to Earth think of course he can come again anytime.
Most Jews have given up on the Messiah showing up cause if he didn't come when Hitler was killing us what's he waiting for.
More modern Jews have decided we have to be our own Messiah not wait around.

My grandparents, though, they think it's right around the corner now that Israel exists again.
These sweet old German American Texan Jews are sure God is sending the Messiah any day now because Hebrew speaking olive skinned people in the middle east built a country the size of four or five counties in Texas and named it after Israel.
I have to admire their courage though and the fact that they let women be leaders, not just Golda Meir but everywhere in their military and government.[/tangent]

Reactions: imaginethat
Jul 2018
Earth
There has already been examples, those people don't care. Like the NBA douche that was going around touching microphones and touching his teammates stuff, he got it and passed it to teammates. It is what precipitated the sports leagues being suspended

And also republican congressmen who said it was a hoax, now have it. And worse, went around spreading it.
But they haven't died, have they?

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
What if they just lost the right to get the any money from the stimulus?
Seems like they think the whole thing is a joke, so they dont' need it anyway.

This is the difference I've noticed between Jews and Christians. Christians who truly believe the Messiah already came to Earth think of course he can come again anytime.
Most Jews have given up on the Messiah showing up cause if he didn't come when Hitler was killing us what's he waiting for.
More modern Jews have decided we have to be our own Messiah not wait around.

My grandparents, though, they think it's right around the corner now that Israel exists again.
These sweet old German American Texan Jews are sure God is sending the Messiah any day now because Hebrew speaking olive skinned people in the middle east built a country the size of four or five counties in Texas and named it after Israel.
I have to admire their courage though and the fact that they let women be leaders, not just Golda Meir but everywhere in their military and government.[/tangent]
In general, anyone who thinks their religious beliefs give them justification for not following the law of the land should be appropriately held accountable.
Simple

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
A politically motivated virus.

An online petition calling for Spell to be arrested and prosecuted has more than 4,000 signatures. The petition claims 1,800 people attended Spell's service on Sunday.
Louisiana has 1,795 cases, adding 407 cases and 19 deaths in 24 houea, a total of 65 deaths. To the west, Texas with a much larger area and population has 1,155 total cases, adding 132 in the last 24 hours along with 3 deaths for a total of 15 deaths.

Louisiana pastor defies coronavirus order, draws over 1,000 people to services
"The virus, we believe, is politically motivated," Tony Spell said. "We hold our religious rights dear and we are going to assemble no matter what someone says."
A Louisiana pastor is apparently defying the governor's order against gatherings of more than 50 people by hosting over 1,000 churchgoers at a service Sunday and bringing together hundreds at another service Tuesday, according to the pastor and local media.
The pastor, Tony Spell of Life Tabernacle Church in Baton Rouge, said he does not believe his congregation is at risk of getting COVID-19, the disease associated with the coronavirus, according to CBS affiliate WAFB.​
"It’s not a concern," Spell told the outlet. "The virus, we believe, is politically motivated. We hold our religious rights dear and we are going to assemble no matter what someone says."​
Spell said 1,170 attended his service Sunday, according to WAFB.​
"We have 27 buses on Sundays picking up people in a five-parish area," he said.​
Spell also told the outlet that police showed up at the church after the service Tuesday night and informed him the National Guard would break up any future gatherings that exceed 50 people.​
But a National Guard spokesman in Baton Rouge told NBC News on Wednesday it is not involved in the matter and has no role in enforcing social distancing requirements as set by Gov. John Bel Edwards.​
...An online petition calling for Spell to be arrested and prosecuted has more than 4,000 signatures. The petition claims 1,800 people attended Spell's service on Sunday.​
The petition says the pastor should be "charged with 1800 counts of reckless endangerment for a start, for the countless lives he will be brutalizing and even ending with his selfishness and ignorance."​

I suspect a few academic paper will come out of this event. Good epidemiological event to study.