Lowering voting age to 16

Apr 2014
Heart of America
I do not know what ridicule you are referring.

No not overthrowing the gov.

Getting rid of corporate intrusion and revamping the founding principles.
How? You ridiculed voting, so how?

Dude, this is an example of overthrowing the Federal government:
All the states need to go on strike.

Gather every sheriff in the country and put washington on lock down until they get it right.

Anything short of something along those lines will never do any good.

The last thing they want is organization they do not control.

Mar 2019
Texas
How? You ridiculed voting, so how?

Dude, this is an example of overthrowing the Federal government:
No it is not an example of overthrowing the government. That is not what i would want. I advocate for exactly what i said. Getting back to the foundation.

I am all for voting but until we clean up the mess made yours and my votes do not count.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
Me too. 25 is a better age for everything since that's when most people fully develop.

Another method is a system of testing, not age. Once they pass all tests for maturity and intelligence, they are eligible to vote, join the service and be recognized as adults. This could be 16 or it could be 30.
The first thing that would happen when that is proposed is the minorities screaming discriminaton. Remember the literacy tests that "suppressed" voting years ago? Just watch the "man on the street" interviews that Watters did it yer not convinced.
It's a good idea tho.

Apr 2014
Heart of America
No it is not an example of overthrowing the government. That is not what i would want. I advocate for exactly what i said. Getting back to the foundation.

I am all for voting but until we clean up the mess made yours and my votes do not count.
How are you proposing we do this, aside from your plan to assault Washington with state law enforcement?

Disagreed; my vote does count. The only votes that don't count are the ones that aren't made.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
How are you proposing we do this, aside from your plan to assault Washington with state law enforcement?

Disagreed; my vote does count. The only votes that don't count are the ones that aren't made.
Some votes count more than others.... this is just fact.

I am sure our forefather did not intend for hillbillies to be given a more valued vote as opposed to the industrious folks who expand the GDP in our industrialized cities but that is what we wound up with and it needs to be corrected.

Apr 2014
Heart of America
Some votes count more than others.... this is just fact.

I am sure our forefather did not intend for hillbillies to be given a more valued vote as opposed to the industrious folks who expand the GDP in our industrialized cities but that is what we wound up with and it needs to be corrected.
How so? If you say a blue vote in a red state doesn't count (or vice versa), I disagree. It still counts. It just doesn't belong in the majority to win. Take California in the 2016 election. About a third of the California votes were for Trump, but the state went to Hillary. Did those Trump votes count or not?

Dec 2015
Arizona
Maybe I missed a previous thread on this subject, but if not...what do you think? I was surprised at how many articles have been posted on this subject. It seems there's quite a lot of support for this idea. So let's go.

Massachusetts Rep. Ayanna Pressley is trying to change that. Last week she introduced an amendment to a voting rights bill to lower the voting age from 18 to 16. "From gun violence to climate change, our young people are organizing, mobilizing and calling us to action," she argued. "They are at the forefront of social and legislative movements and have earned inclusion in our democracy."
Democrats narrowly supported the measure, but Republicans voted against it en masse, and it was defeated. That was a mistake. Young people need and deserve the right to vote -- and the country would be stronger if they had it.

The argument for allowing young people to vote is the same as the argument for allowing anyone to vote. The United States was founded on the central insight that if you have no voice in your government, you will be mistreated. Disenfranchisement is the first step towards injustice. The vote is essential for liberty and equality in a democracy. That's why the colonists rebelled against Britain. It's why women, black people, and other marginalized groups have fought to be included in the franchise since America was founded.

Young people are affected by government policy decisions on gun control, on schooling, on climate change. As Pressley says, they often organize and advocate around these issues. Last month, for example, a number of school kids confronted California Sen. Dianne Feinstein, asking her to back the Green New Deal.

Politicians are responsible to voters. Young people can't vote, so it's not surprising that a politician like Feinstein wouldn't feel responsible to them. Yet, as the kids say, they are going to be the ones who primarily have to live with climate change. Their futures will be warmer and bleaker because they are excluded from the polity. That's unjust.

If you have raised children/teens, worked with teens or taught teens, what do you think? Are 16 yr olds mature enough to vote? Would they participate or would they blow it off?
Would they vote the same as their parents? Would they swing an election? There are lots of questions.
Dig in.

p.s. So surprising that the GOP voted against it en masse, right? I mean...don't they always support change? Giggle.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/09/opinions/let-teens-vote-ayanna-pressley-berlatsky/index.html

Apr 2013
Left coast
Some are very aware and knowledgeable. Some are too into their smartphones and the mall.

But is your average 35 year old on average any better or any worse. I don't think so.

Way back when I was in grade six, we had, as part of our social studies course, a unit on media and how to recognize bullshit vs fact. My kids never got that type of instruction. My grandkids have.

So I might argue that if that is widespread, the 16 yo might be better, on average than the 35 yo. Plus they haven't suffered hardening of the cerebral arteries yet.

So the answer to your question, IMO is yes.