Man Assaults 13 Year Old for "Disrespecting the Anthem"

Apr 2019
America
Let's not forget a Montana congressional candidate body slammed a reporter before the election, was charged, and still won the election
That is America, some people stand by what they say whether it is popular or not. We need more people like that.

Apr 2019
America
It did not even occur to this violent dumfuck to just walk up to the kid and say, "excuse me, kid, but that's not really respectful to the flag" and wait and see what happned next?

Such a person, with ZERO impulse control, and violent impulses at that, needs to be securely locked up somewhere.
Or join Anti-Fa.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
No one's mentioned the P word yet: patriotism!
In this 21st century, I see all nationalist religions as equally vile mass mind-control techniques.
I used to envy America's patriotic culture with flags flying in front of just about every home especially around 4th o July weekends (at least in white neighborhoods) and wish out loud 'why can't Canadians be more like this, instead of treating July 1st as nothing more than a three day weekend, and having a long string of political leaders trying to gin up a Canadian nationalist ethos all through the years where there existed a significant separatist threat from Quebec.....but, no longer! I don't want to hear about the flag, anyone's flag anymore!

Flag worship is the worst religion around, because it encourages the worst violent behavior from the worst nutcases who want to display how patriotic they are..........now, for some reason I'm recalling Caesar Sayoc again!
While I agree with you that worshiping the place you live is a little silly, I'm going to push back a little. This is not a uniquely American phenomina. When you go to ireland you see a LOT of irish flags. When you go to australia you see a LOT of australian flags. Italy. Germany. France. Brazil. South Africa. These are all countries the PROUDLY display their flag across the country.

I've only been to Canada once so I can't speak to how it is where you live (Stayed in Cardston Alberta while visiting Watertown National park on your side of the boarder and Glacier National Park on my side... I preferred Waterton in case you were wondering).

Jul 2019
Georgia
Although we already knew, we can now officially blame trump's rhetoric once again for a violent attack.

Attorney for Montana man who threw teen in national anthem attack says Trump rhetoric to blame

Attorney for Montana man who threw teen in national anthem attack says Trump rhetoric to blame

"His commander in chief is telling people that if they kneel, they should be fired, or if they burn a flag, they should be punished," Jasper said. "He certainly didn't understand it was a crime."

"Trump never necessarily says go hurt somebody, but the message is absolutely clear," Jasper said. "I am certain of the fact that (Brockway) was doing what he believed he was told to do, essentially, by the president. ... Everyone should learn to dial it down a little bit, from the president to Mineral County."

Reactions: BitterPill
Dec 2016
Canada
While I agree with you that worshiping the place you live is a little silly, I'm going to push back a little. This is not a uniquely American phenomina. When you go to ireland you see a LOT of irish flags. When you go to australia you see a LOT of australian flags. Italy. Germany. France. Brazil. South Africa. These are all countries the PROUDLY display their flag across the country.

I've only been to Canada once so I can't speak to how it is where you live (Stayed in Cardston Alberta while visiting Watertown National park on your side of the boarder and Glacier National Park on my side... I preferred Waterton in case you were wondering).
One of the reasons why Stephen Harper's Conservatives got dumped out of office was because even with all the shifts and changes since NAFTA landed on us, Canadians still don't buy all the cultural nationalism that Americans have been brainwashed into. But, we're heading in that direction!

I know every nation has their flags and spins out their own nationalist myths, and that's why I said I don't accept any of them! The less patriotism the better!
The origins of nationalist feelings were extensions of tribalism, to bind together larger groups of people into a cohesive force. But that's done for mostly evil purposes such as raising armies for war and expanding empires.

Reactions: Lyzza
Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
That is America, some people stand by what they say whether it is popular or not. We need more people like that.
What the fuck does not even meAN WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF A 39 YEAR OLD MAN ATTACKING A 13 YEAR OLD CHOLD AND FRACTURING HIS SKULL.
yOU NEED TO EXPLAIN THAT SHIT.
Sorry caps lock stuck for a second, fuck going back and re-typing.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
One of the reasons why Stephen Harper's Conservatives got dumped out of office was because even with all the shifts and changes since NAFTA landed on us, Canadians still don't buy all the cultural nationalism that Americans have been brainwashed into. But, we're heading in that direction!

I know every nation has their flags and spins out their own nationalist myths, and that's why I said I don't accept any of them! The less patriotism the better!
The origins of nationalist feelings were extensions of tribalism, to bind together larger groups of people into a cohesive force. But that's done for mostly evil purposes such as raising armies for war and expanding empires.
I agree. I've never understood the notion of people saying their country is the best country in the world. Perhaps my skeptical nature just won't allow me. But I've been to the US, Mexico, Canada (kinda), Ireland, Scotland and heading to Japan. I'm also more interested in local, national and international politics than probably the average Joe. But even with all that, I have ZERO credibility saying which country is the greatest in the world.

As Jim Jeffrey said, I could go to Holland and bang a prostitute in the street while smoking a joint in front of a cop without any consequences. That sounds like a pretty solid country :zany:

Reactions: right to left
May 2018
none
Although we already knew, we can now officially blame trump's rhetoric once again for a violent attack.

"His commander in chief is telling people that if they kneel, they should be fired, or if they burn a flag, they should be punished," Jasper said. "He certainly didn't understand it was a crime."

"Trump never necessarily says go hurt somebody, but the message is absolutely clear," Jasper said. "I am certain of the fact that (Brockway) was doing what he believed he was told to do, essentially, by the president. ... Everyone should learn to dial it down a little bit, from the president to Mineral County."
You've got to be kidding me.

Reactions: Lyzza
Apr 2019
America
What the fuck does not even meAN WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF A 39 YEAR OLD MAN ATTACKING A 13 YEAR OLD CHOLD AND FRACTURING HIS SKULL.
yOU NEED TO EXPLAIN THAT SHIT.
Sorry caps lock stuck for a second, fuck going back and re-typing.
You need to read what I replied to. It was about Montana voters electing who they wanted. Se7en bought it up, I did not. Try talking to him.