Margaret Thatcher-a real leader during difficult times

Sep 2012
Ventura CA
Margaret Thatcher has died. A true Conservative who partnered with another great Conservative, Ronald Reagan. Both of these real leaders helped lead their nations from the malaise of liberalism and left an indelible mark of hope amoung the people of their nations and the world.

My favorite Thatcher quote: the problem with Liberalism is that eventually you run out of others money to spend.

This rings so true as we watch the steady decline into malaise represented by the Obama recovery.

Reactions: 3 people
Sep 2012
Ventura CA
MSNBC continues to interview Martin Bashier about Margeret Thatcher and her legacy; this is about as credible as asking James Carville about what he thinks of Republicans.

Reactions: 2 people
Jan 2013
Texas
I see the AP stories coming out today paint Thatcher as a tyrant.

Funny how they painted Hugo Chavez as a saint.

Too bad you can’t sue the AP for printing lies. If I had a lot of extra money lying around and a lot of extra time, I’d sue them anyway just for good measure.

Reactions: 3 people

waitingtables

Former Staff
Jul 2007
NJ
Glad you think she was so right about things. You do know that she was in total and complete support of a nationalized health care system don't you?

Sep 2012
Ventura CA
Glad you think she was so right about things. You do know that she was in total and complete support of a nationalized health care system don't you?
Really? This is from a 1989 article in the LA Times:

Thatcher Targets British Health System

April 30, 1989|MAUREEN JOHNSON | Associated Press

LONDON — With plans for sweeping changes in Britain's free health system, Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher's free-market revolution has reached a national institution as sacrosanct as the royal family.

After years of increasing spending on an ever-more costly ideal of free and equal treatment for all 56 million Britons, Thatcher recently announced the most radical shake-up of the National Health Service since its foundation 40 years ago.

Thatcher Targets British Health System - Los Angeles Times

Thatcher came to office in 1979, yet the National Health Service was created in 1946. I am not sure how she had anything to do with its creation.

The National Health Service in England was created by the National Health Service Act 1946 which actually created a national health service for England and Wales though responsibility for the NHS in Wales was passed to the Secretary of State for Wales in 1969, leaving the Secretary of State for Social Services responsible for the NHS in England alone.

So I will ask you, do you have anything credible to substantiate your claim about Thatcher or is this just another of your parroting leftist blogs and fabrications?

Thatcher Tries To Cure Ailing Health System

September 25, 1988|By TIMOTHY HARPER, Special to the News/Sun-Sentinel
In public opinion polls, Britain`s ``most important problem`` is no longer the economy. It`s the future of the National Health Service.

The NHS political battleground has become a symptom and a symbol of the socioeconomic phenomenon known in Britain as Thatcherism.

Thatcher
Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher insists, ``The National Health Service is safe in our hands,`` but critics say that putting her in charge of the NHS is like having Dracula guard the blood bank.

Thatcher Tries To Cure Ailing Health System - Sun Sentinel

waitingtables

Former Staff
Jul 2007
NJ
Never said she created it. She believed in in and had no plans to get rid of it. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Reactions: 1 person
Nov 2012
nirvana
Yep, she was also forced out by her own party, and the conservatives have avoided her like the plague since she left. You know, because they were so proud of her stance on the issues. Which raises an interesting question. Notice how the Republicans avoided Bush like the plague in the last two elections? The conservatives are in a box. They're not gaining any new supporters among young voters, and with so many of them strapped with student debt loans, that are about to have the interest on those loans double, austerity, and tax cuts aren't going to be their rallying cry in the coming years. much to the conservatives dismay.

Reactions: 1 person