Meanwhile, In Russia..

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
It's germane to note that the world looked the other way when Hitler annexed Austria. Again, on the advice of Chamberlain, Hitler's designs on the Sudetenland were unopposed on the basis that Hitler would make no more territorial demands.

The rest is history. Estonia, think, Austria.
At that time Hitler had no nuclear weapons, at that time we had no real understanding of Germany's capability,and furthermore at that time the Ocean was a hell of a barrier. In my opinion dredging up WWII scenarios is irrelevant on this matter. This is 2019 not 1933,35, 41 or 45
I understand your points , but don't see your point.

Putin, April 2005 state of the nation address to the country’s top politicians and parliament:

"The breakup of the Soviet Union was the greatest geopolitical tragedy of the 20th century."
Putin may not wish to recreate the Soviet Union, but he definitely wants to establish Russin hegemony over the former Soviet states.

Those who fail to learn from history are destined to repeat it. In 1938, Chamberlain told the French and UK Governments that if Hitler was allowed to annex Austria, he'd stop there. He didn't. The world looked the other way when Putin took Crimea through a military invasion, bloodlessly, but irresistibly nonetheless ... in 2014.

Reactions: se7en and RNG
May 2019
USA
I understand your points , but don't see your point.

Putin, April 2005 state of the nation address to the country’s top politicians and parliament:

"The breakup of the Soviet Union was the greatest geopolitical tragedy of the 20th century."
Putin may not wish to recreate the Soviet Union, but he definitely wants to establish Russin hegemony over the former Soviet states.

Those who fail to learn from history are destined to repeat it. In 1938, Chamberlain told the French and UK Governments that if Hitler was allowed to annex Austria, he'd stop there. He didn't. The world looked the other way when Putin took Crimea through a military invasion, bloodlessly, but irresistibly nonetheless ... in 2014.
I absolutely agree he wants to rebuild a Russian empire from the ashes of the Soviet Union. Its just that Communism is not the idealogy. Its dictatorial, its oligarchy and its money this time around. Putin does crave a world that trembles at the sound of Russia. No doubt about any of that

Reactions: se7en

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
There are differences between the claims of Putin's Russia and Hitler's Germany.

Historically, Austria was never a part of a unified Germany until Anschluss. About the only similarity between Crimea and Austria was a fixed poll that anyone with an IQ larger than his shoe size would realize that it was impossible for 99% of Austrians desired to be reunited with Germany when they were never united to begin with. War effort wise, Czechoslovakia was more important than Austria to Hitler. Czechoslovakia was the backbone of nthe arms industry for the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
Both Hitler and Putin justified territorial seizures partially on the basis of ethnic Germans and Russians, respectively, living in the seized territories, seizures deemed essential to "protect" them from hostile governments.

Reactions: leekohler2
Dec 2018
New England
Let's take a stroll down memory lane, shall we? Here's a quote from a 2012 Presidential debate:

Obama: "Gov. Romney, I'm glad you recognize al-Qaida is a threat, because a few months ago when you were asked what is the biggest geopolitical group facing America, you said Russia, not al-Qaida, ... You said Russia. And the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back."​

Yes, the 1980's are calling, and along with today's crop of Democrats, they're saying Mitt was right.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Let's take a stroll down memory lane, shall we? Here's a quote from a 2012 Presidential debate:

Obama: "Gov. Romney, I'm glad you recognize al-Qaida is a threat, because a few months ago when you were asked what is the biggest geopolitical group facing America, you said Russia, not al-Qaida, ... You said Russia. And the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back."​

Yes, the 1980's are calling, and along with today's crop of Democrats, they're saying Mitt was right.
And?

Dec 2018
New England
The point is the fickle nature of politics. A few years ago the idea that Russia was a threat to the US was treated as a political joke by the Democrats. Today, the left would have you believe the Putin & Co. have cracked the very foundation of our democracy.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
The point is the fickle nature of politics. A few years ago the idea that Russia was a threat to the US was treated as a political joke by the Democrats. Today, the left would have you believe the Putin & Co. have cracked the very foundation of our democracy.
That's half of the point. The other half is the right now sees Russia as no threat.

Jul 2019
Georgia
In all fairness, in 2012, Al Quieda was a bigger threat to America than Russia was. Remember Putin didn't get back into power until 2012, and didn't amp up his invasions until what 13 or 14? The attack on America's elections was in 16.

It was a debate clapback too, it's not like that was implemented policy or anything.

I'll give Romney mad cred for being that astute in 2012, and am curious what his thoughts are now on the topic.

Dec 2018
New England
In all fairness, in 2012, Al Quieda was a bigger threat to America than Russia was. Remember Putin didn't get back into power until 2012, and didn't amp up his invasions until what 13 or 14? The attack on America's elections was in 16.

It was a debate clapback too, it's not like that was implemented policy or anything.

I'll give Romney mad cred for being that astute in 2012, and am curious what his thoughts are now on the topic.
Obama had a bad habit of letting domestic politics color his foreign policy.

Romney cited Russia as a threat, so Obama had to say they were not (and yet there were clearly heading that way even then). Similarly, the forgotten issue with the killings in Benghazi was the knowingly false statements his administration made in the weeks that followed. Team Obama continued to say it was the result of an out-of-control street demonstration when they new it was a planned, terrorist attack. IMO, the reason we were fed those lies was because just weeks before Obama made his "al Qaeda was on the run" proclamation at the DNC convention, and they didn't want the bad PR.

Jul 2019
Georgia
Obama had a bad habit of letting domestic politics color his foreign policy.

Romney cited Russia as a threat, so Obama had to say they were not (and yet there were clearly heading that way even then). Similarly, the forgotten issue with the killings in Benghazi was the knowingly false statements his administration made in the weeks that followed. Team Obama continued to say it was the result of an out-of-control street demonstration when they new it was a planned, terrorist attack. IMO, the reason we were fed those lies was because just weeks before Obama made his "al Qaeda was on the run" proclamation at the DNC convention, and they didn't want the bad PR.
Wow.

So what's Romney saying about Russia now?

I ain't heard him say much of anything as of late. He's a Senator again isn't he?

edit: google search shows me that just about every media outlet gave him props on his early concerns about Russia too

romney russia - Google Search