Media bias extends beyond politics

Apr 2013
La La Land North
This is from the Axios AM newsletter so I can't link it but it does have some links in it that I will post below. It quite surprised me.

Several recent major non-political news stories show that collective bias by the mainstream media goes beyond politics, seeping into issues of race, climate and terrorism, Axios media expert Sara Fischer writes:

Why it matters: Collective media bias can dramatically skew coverage for the majority of the population, and can distort the truth by inflating or downplaying significant aspects of some news stories.​

Examples of coverage bias that reaches beyond politics:

Terrorism: A new study, detailed in The Guardian, found that terrorist attacks committed by Muslim extremists receive 357% more U.S. press coverage than those committed by non-Muslims.

Hurricanes: A WashPost report found that in the same time period last September and October, Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico received only a third as many mentions in text as Hurricanes Harvey and Irma on the mainland.

Missing girls: The lack of media coverage of 10 missing minority girls in Washington, D.C. sparked outrage last year. Vox: "Even though children of color go missing more often than white children, they receive far less media coverage and public attention."

Even climate change, a hot digital topic, often struggles to get coverage on cable news. MSNBC anchor Chris Hayes tweeted last week that "almost without exception. every single time we've covered it's been a palpable ratings killer. so the incentives are not great."​

Rodney Benson, chair of NYU's Department of Media, said lack of newsroom diversity is a contributing factor:

"[T]he interests and concerns of less privileged groups (by class, religion, region, race, gender, or sexuality) are downplayed or ignored."​
https://theguardian.com/us-news/201...ampaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top-stories

https://washingtonpost.com/news/pos...&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=.9b322989b52f

https://vox.com/culture/2017/3/25/1...hington-dc-missing-persons?stream=top-stories

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/sta...ampaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top-stories

Apr 2013
La La Land North
One item from the Guardian link on terrorism reporting: it found that white and right-wing terrorists carried out nearly twice as many terrorist attacks as Muslim extremists between 2008 and 2016.

And I'm sure that this too was a result of the same as in the OP on climate change:

Even climate change, a hot digital topic, often struggles to get coverage on cable news. MSNBC anchor Chris Hayes tweeted last week that "almost without exception. every single time we've covered it's been a palpable ratings killer. so the incentives are not great."
Not so much bias as money grubbing as IT said.

Dec 2015
Arizona
We're sliding into the abyss.

Increasingly, all America is about is the love of money.

It's really getting to me--the greed/avarice. As a teacher I am constantly reminded (and amazed) at the priorities in this country. As public schools are shorted--lack of supplies, desks, textbooks, technology, crumbling buildings and basics--corporations are awash with billions of dollars.
Example: Sports.
We are currently in Green Bay, WI. We've been watching the comings/goings at Lambeau Field because Training Camp is underway and of course it's great to see the fans getting revved up for the season, but......as we drove around the enormous stadium, practice fields, greens, buildings and staff we are reminded that this BILLION dollar concern is there to host 8-9 games a year....key word: GAMES.
Now don't get me wrong. I get it and enjoy it. The Packers "corp" provides hundreds (probably thousands) of jobs and opportunities for the community. Just the sale of shirts, hats, and cheeseheads--the tourism--the restaurants and hotel business is HUGE. Good for Green Bay, but the inequity of it all is disturbing. AND this is just one small example.

Sorry--this is a little off-topic.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Every one knows who Natalie Holloway is. Laci Peterson, Chandra Levy, run away bride Jennifer Wilbanks. Check, check, check, practically house hold names thanks to 24/7 coverage of their disappearances

Any idea who Evelyn Hernandez, Ardena Carter, LaToyia Figueroa, were ??? Of course not. They aren't white and attractive.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
All people always have and always will.
I honestly believe there has been a shift. I can remember when more than just some people lived their lives ethically. Hell, I can remember politicians that were actually trying to help their constituents but not at the expense of the country as a whole. Not just in things designed to get them re-elected.

I'm not saying that's all gone, but definitely is way less.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
I honestly believe there has been a shift. I can remember when more than just some people lived their lives ethically. Hell, I can remember politicians that were actually trying to help their constituents but not at the expense of the country as a whole. Not just in things designed to get them re-elected.

I'm not saying that's all gone, but definitely is way less.
I respect your opinion but I know humans are hard cod e d from birth. They react remarkably consistEntly from generation to generation. What changes is the stimuli they react to.