Methodist Churches Across U.S. Are Publicly Rebelling Against Their Leadership’s Anti-LGBTQ Stance

Nov 2014
Florida
I think it's such a shame that a Christian sect has to be split apart - and will probably splinter off - because of something so unChristian and bigoted.

Methodist Churches Across U.S. Are Publicly Rebelling Against Their Leadership’s Anti-LGBTQ Stance

Churches across the United State are publicly displaying their outrage over the General Conference of the United Methodist Church vote last week to reaffirm their teaching that homosexuality is “incompatible” with Christianity and to punish individual churches that perform marriages for same-sex couples and allow LGBTQ clergy.

In response to the vote, individual churches nationwide began displaying pro-LGBTQ signs welcoming members of the LGBTQ into their houses of worship.

Here is just a sample of the growing list of rainbow signs churches have displayed since the vote.

The Grace United Methodist Church covered up the words “United Methodist” in their sign with rainbows.
View attachment 3193
The First and Summerfield United Methodist Church in Connecticut displayed a rainbow “Welcome” sign:
View attachment 3194
The North United Methodist Church in Indianapolis displayed rainbow doors outside their church:
View attachment 3195
The First United Methodist Church in Medford, Oregon, put up a sign that read, “We denounce the immoral decision of the Global UM Church. We stand with LGBTQ unconditionally.”
View attachment 3196
The First United Methodist Church of Park Ridge in Illinois covered the word “United” in their sign with rainbow flags.

We took this action “to acknowledge the deep division in our denomination over ministries of full inclusion with LGBTQIA persons,” according to Pastor David Aslesen.
View attachment 3197
The Clifton United Methodist Church in Cincinnati, Ohio, wrote on their church sign, “No matter what the denomination says, God loves you. We do too.”
View attachment 3198
The Smoky Hill United Methodist Church in Colorado wrote on their sign, “Love is inclusive, All are Welcome.”
View attachment 3199
The Foundry United Methodist Church in D.C. wrapped their building in a giant rainbow banner.
View attachment 3200
The Dayspring United Methodist Church in Arizona covered up the words “United Methodist Church” in its sign with black cloth to show they were mourning the “sad demise of a denomination.”
View attachment 3202
So the churches will go against the word of God. The question is will they allow them to become members and stay in their immoral sinful lifestyle

Nov 2014
Florida
Thanks, Tristan. I've been torn about whether to start a thread on this, but it's such an emotional issue. I appreciate the fact that you were willing to post the thread.
Our local Methodist Church had a service Saturday morning. The Bishop spoke. Our pastor spoke on Sunday morning. Both spoke against the decision. Tears poured down our pastor's face as she spoke and the congregation wept with her. We are stunned. We are grieving but we aren't the only ones.
Conservatives have left the Episcopal Church over gay rights, Presbyterians have split, and many young evangelicals are leaving their churches over the lack of inclusion of L.G.B.T. people.

The decision was not a complete surprise because the "rumblings" started years ago. The decision, passed in a 53 percent to 47 percent vote. The Methodist Church is governed by something called the Book of Discipline. Here's the language:
  • ¶ 304.3: The practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching. Therefore self-avowed practicing homosexuals are not to be certified as candidates, ordained as ministers, or appointed to serve in The United Methodist Church. View full statement.
  • 341.6: Ceremonies that celebrate homosexual unions shall not be conducted by our ministers and shall not be conducted in our churches.
The decision now moves to a judicial body who will decide how to proceed. The worst part of the vote was punitive.
The new rules would tighten enforcement and increase punishment for violations. For instance, clergy who officiate at same-sex weddings could receive a minimum one-year, unpaid suspension, and a second offense could result in removal from the clergy. There was also some discussion about exorbitant fines placed on violating parishes.

The irony? Here is the Methodist Church slogan: Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.

We are still reeling. It's just hard to believe this has happened.....but it's just part and parcel of our divided nation.
Churches are to obey and follow and teach the Word of God

Nov 2014
Florida
Clara - it's surprising to me because there are SO MANY Methodist churches that have openly gay clergy and also that have hosted and performed gay marriage ceremonies. We have two Methodist churches here in New Haven that have similar sign boards to the ones in the opening article. I think this decision is going to be a boost to the member roles in our United Church of Christ congregations here (New Haven has four, I believe), which are (and have been for years) open and welcoming.
If that is true they are going against the word of God so they re no longer a Christian Church since they reject what the Bible says

Sep 2017
Hell
It is about what the Bible says and the liberals and gays that hate Christians don't get that
If the sexual activities are removed from a person, what is the difference between a heterosexual or a homosexual? Well, besides for better haircuts, fashion sense, and all other usual stereotyping.

May 2018
Chicago
My reply was in English. There is no simple yes of no answer. If you are no capable of reading the answer, then there is nothing further I can do as clearly you are more interested in expressing anger over an imagined offense than exactly trying to understand another person's POV.
I read the answer. You avoided answering my question. Perhaps you would be angry too if people constantly conflated your sexuality with child sex abuse and indeed, attraction to underage children- which it appears in this case, you're doing.

Sep 2017
Hell
I read the answer. You avoided answering my question. Perhaps you would be angry too if people constantly conflated your sexuality with child sex abuse and indeed, attraction to underage children- which it appears in this case, you're doing.
As I have explained, the "Alter boy" example was used simply because it those are the most well known cases. Consensual sexual relationships of between adults all are clandestine due to the nature of the celibacy vows that virtually all of them are bound by.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
I KNOW it is part of Catholic teaching. Are you hard of reading or did you just skipped over the part where I said I did not address the teaching of the Church, just the words of the Pope?

I said I reject that notion. Enough with your endless straw men.
I regret that you are unable to discuss this subject rationally.