Methodists Vote To Retain Policies on Homosexuality

Feb 2007
Los Angeles

Daniel Burke, Religion News Service 5/01/2008

The United Methodist Church held to its traditional rules on homosexuality Wednesday (April 30), refusing to support or celebrate same-sex unions and maintaining language that calls homosexual activity "incompatible with Christian teaching."

Nearly 1,000 delegates here at the quadrennial General Conference spent almost all day debating Methodist policies on homosexuality, continuing a sometimes contentious discussion the church has held for almost 40 years.

Many Methodists rose to speak in favor of a clear continuation of traditional teachings, especially for the purpose of evangelizing to a world that they said is beset by moral confusion.

"Friends, this is serious business," said the Rev. H. Eddie Fox, director of evangelism for the World Methodist Council. "It is an urgent matter for our church. It matters what we believe and what we practice and we do not meet here in isolation."

Indeed, several delegates warned that actions taken here directly affect Methodists in Africa and Asia, many of whom are conservative and whose churches are experiencing explosive growth. About 30 percent of the 11.5 million-member church now lives outside the U.S.

The resolution calling for the church to refrain from judgment until a wider consensus is reached offered more than an opportunity to recognize differences of opinion in the divided church, said Will Green, a lay delegate from New England.

"It also allows gay and lesbian people like myself to stay in the church in a safe way that doesn't cause us to be sacrificed for the sake of church unity," he said.

Earlier in the day, a solid majority — more than 65 percent — rejected an attempt to change the church's constitution, the Book of Discipline, to recognize same-sex civil unions.

The ban "reflects the sentiment of most (church) members and the majority of citizens in the U.S. and many other countries," said the committee that handled the resolution. "Sanctioning homosexual unions would give the church's approval to homosexual behavior and relationships, which would be inconsistent" with church teaching.

Delegates also refused to commit to support civil unions in wider society. They did agree to open educational opportunities to all persons regardless of sexual orientation.

Two clergy delegates from the Democratic Republic of the Congo forcefully spoke out against the anti-homophobia resolution.

Speaking in French with the aid of a translator, one pastor said that it's "very sad that the Methodist Church continues to advocate for things that come from the devil. … It is time for us as church to get on our knees and proclaim that we have made a mistake."

Methodists Vote To Retain Policies on Homosexuality | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
it's "very sad that the Methodist Church continues to advocate for things that come from the devil. … It is time for us as church to get on our knees and proclaim that we have made a mistake."

I agree with you - but don't expect it to happen anytime soon.

Homophobia and talking about homosexuality in church helps fill up those collection plates!!!

Mar 2007
Ga
The common sense aberration of homosexuality is in the Bible. Without interpretive windows of opportunity. Many times. If you are gonna worship it, you might as well be true to it. It's hypocritical to do otherwise.

If finding something aberrant about a sexuality is a phobia. Then why isn't there a pedophobia or zoophobia. Cause most people find them abhorrent too. As a matter of course. One of them even mentioned in the Bible.

Mar 2007
Ga
tristanrobin said:
Well, it wouldn't be pedophilia.

Those bronze age goat herds liked their little girls YOUNG
So do the now age [insert culture here]. It's just illegal now. MANY men still like em young. And not just girls.

May 2008
garysher said:

Daniel Burke, Religion News Service 5/01/2008

The United Methodist Church held to its traditional rules on homosexuality Wednesday (April 30), refusing to support or celebrate same-sex unions and maintaining language that calls homosexual activity "incompatible with Christian teaching."

Nearly 1,000 delegates here at the quadrennial General Conference spent almost all day debating Methodist policies on homosexuality, continuing a sometimes contentious discussion the church has held for almost 40 years.

Many Methodists rose to speak in favor of a clear continuation of traditional teachings, especially for the purpose of evangelizing to a world that they said is beset by moral confusion.

"Friends, this is serious business," said the Rev. H. Eddie Fox, director of evangelism for the World Methodist Council. "It is an urgent matter for our church. It matters what we believe and what we practice and we do not meet here in isolation."

Indeed, several delegates warned that actions taken here directly affect Methodists in Africa and Asia, many of whom are conservative and whose churches are experiencing explosive growth. About 30 percent of the 11.5 million-member church now lives outside the U.S.

The resolution calling for the church to refrain from judgment until a wider consensus is reached offered more than an opportunity to recognize differences of opinion in the divided church, said Will Green, a lay delegate from New England.

"It also allows gay and lesbian people like myself to stay in the church in a safe way that doesn't cause us to be sacrificed for the sake of church unity," he said.

Earlier in the day, a solid majority — more than 65 percent — rejected an attempt to change the church's constitution, the Book of Discipline, to recognize same-sex civil unions.

The ban "reflects the sentiment of most (church) members and the majority of citizens in the U.S. and many other countries," said the committee that handled the resolution. "Sanctioning homosexual unions would give the church's approval to homosexual behavior and relationships, which would be inconsistent" with church teaching.

Delegates also refused to commit to support civil unions in wider society. They did agree to open educational opportunities to all persons regardless of sexual orientation.

Two clergy delegates from the Democratic Republic of the Congo forcefully spoke out against the anti-homophobia resolution.

Speaking in French with the aid of a translator, one pastor said that it's "very sad that the Methodist Church continues to advocate for things that come from the devil. … It is time for us as church to get on our knees and proclaim that we have made a mistake."

Methodists Vote To Retain Policies on Homosexuality | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction

Wow, stop the presses! A Christian group is against homosexuality! Oh no!!!!

That's like posting an article about how the sky is blue. But I understand that you bigots have to reach so hard to find any bit of help you can since all logic and good sense clearly point away from your ideas.

Jun 2005
Corpus Christi, Texas
Tigerwiccan said:
Wow, stop the presses! A Christian group is against homosexuality! Oh no!!!!

That's like posting an article about how the sky is blue. But I understand that you bigots have to reach so hard to find any bit of help you can since all logic and good sense clearly point away from your ideas.

May I make a friendly suggestion for you since you are new here and all... can you please refrain from calling people who disagree with your lifestyle choices 'bigots'? You are not winning any browny points behaving like a 12 year old spoiled brat. Thanks.

May 2008
jaaaman said:
May I make a friendly suggestion for you since you are new here and all... can you please refrain from calling people who disagree with your lifestyle choices 'bigots'? You are not winning any browny points behaving like a 12 year old spoiled brat. Thanks.

I might be new HERE, but I know gary all too well from another board. And he is as bigotted as they come. If the shoe fits, wear it!

And I guess it's a good thing I'm not here to win browny points, isn't it?