Mick Jagger has broken his silence on politics to slam the US President for ‘tearing apart’ America

May 2018
Chicago
So you'll just put Jagger, who isn't a draft dodging pedophile, in the same class as Nugent? Not to mention Nugent's music is crap, and the Stones dominated the charts for about a decade.

I see Lee has noticed your political affiliation, which you keep denying. Why, are you ashamed?
Nugent had one good song, Cat Scratch Fever. And even that one wasn't great.

Jul 2019
Georgia
Yes I know that, Captain Obvious. But falling prey to addiction by being prescribed the drug is not quite the same as seeking banned recreational drugs because of choice of lifestyle.

If an addict is an addict, then why give a shit about what Jagger says. If Ted Nuggent woke up tomorrow and said some crap about Trump, suddenly he is a freaking hero to some of you guys, while I would still say his opinion is not worth any celebrating,
I personally don't think former (or even current) drug use diminishes a person's opinion in most cases.

the reason Rush was brought up was because he was a hypocrite about it. I disliked Rush before I heard he was a drug addict. I remember I was riding with Dad listening to him when the news came out that Jerry Garcia died, and he said something to the effect of "who cares, he was just a junkie anyway" That and being forced to listen to him yell all the time, when I was a kid, helped me grow a big disdain for him.

Anyway. Jagger's not talking about drugs, he's talking about trump.

Jagger was a hero to me before this. The Nuge would still be the Nuge to me. Other celebrities have spoken out about trump and I don't hail them as heroes because of it. I'm in the same boat with you there.

Last edited:
Jul 2019
Georgia
Can you not read what my reasoning is? I do not think celebrities should be using their fame to push American political agenda. Especially some guy with bad teeth from Britain.
'
What the hell do you know about my musical taste? I was offered scholarships by different conservatories and have recorded programs from Middle School that are still occasionally played on public stations and was a guest cellist in a San Francisco Philharmonic Symphony performance before I was was old enough to get pimples.
Jagger's main gripe was trump's pulling out of the Paris Agreement, which is more world politics than just American politics.

The Stones have been hugely successful in America. Just finished a tour. In fact, they moved their Miami show up two days early to make sure fans could get out if needed for Dorian. I feel he can talk about American politics if he wants.

Dec 2016
Canada
Stranglehold isn't terrible.

Nuge doesn't belong in a discussion about Jagger regardless.
I was so hoping this thread would die so I wouldn't feel motivated to add to it! But I got to say this:
1. Few, very few, rock stars, actors or celebrities of any kind have any knowledge or understanding of any public issues they feel compelled to comment on, and Jagger and Nuge...regardless of their political differences, fit that pattern - they don't know shit from shineola!

2. They are also rich enough to have become totally detached from the world real people have to live in, so whatever they say is not much more than a few talking points they've heard passed around while partying with fawning liberal or conservative political hacks who may or may not be actual fans.

As for music:

3. The Rolling Stones are and always have been overhyped and over-promoted shit! They were always a cheap copy of the Beatles, and never had the same ability to grow and expand as musicians and the possibilities of where rock music could go. Right from the early days, the Stones were better known for what they did or were rumored to have done off-state/not on or in the studio.

4. the Nuge! Would anyone have actually known about this clown if he hadn't turned into an anti-drug crusading- gun nut - misogynist abuser in the later 70's, who cranked out a bunch of albums with songs that all sounded the same and were just full of a lot of attitude that long-haired thugs in the 70's identified with! The only good thing I can say for Ted is that he was a good guitarist....but had no business trying to sing or write songs! So his best work was back when he was a teenager playing lead for the Amboy Dukes. Though their biggest hit - Journey To The Center of the Mind, he would never play afterwards and totally repudiated cause he always makes the laughable claim that he didn't know that the song was about tripping out on acid.

So, after decades of saying nothing about politics...all through the Cold War, 9-11 whatever, Jagger feels the need to mumble something about Trump tearing apart a declining empire that is well along in the phase of post-capitalist decline. Time to shut up again.

Oct 2010
Colorado
I was so hoping this thread would die so I wouldn't feel motivated to add to it! But I got to say this:
1. Few, very few, rock stars, actors or celebrities of any kind have any knowledge or understanding of any public issues they feel compelled to comment on, and Jagger and Nuge...regardless of their political differences, fit that pattern - they don't know shit from shineola!

2. They are also rich enough to have become totally detached from the world real people have to live in, so whatever they say is not much more than a few talking points they've heard passed around while partying with fawning liberal or conservative political hacks who may or may not be actual fans.

As for music:

3. The Rolling Stones are and always have been overhyped and over-promoted shit! They were always a cheap copy of the Beatles, and never had the same ability to grow and expand as musicians and the possibilities of where rock music could go. Right from the early days, the Stones were better known for what they did or were rumored to have done off-state/not on or in the studio.

4. the Nuge! Would anyone have actually known about this clown if he hadn't turned into an anti-drug crusading- gun nut - misogynist abuser in the later 70's, who cranked out a bunch of albums with songs that all sounded the same and were just full of a lot of attitude that long-haired thugs in the 70's identified with! The only good thing I can say for Ted is that he was a good guitarist....but had no business trying to sing or write songs! So his best work was back when he was a teenager playing lead for the Amboy Dukes. Though their biggest hit - Journey To The Center of the Mind, he would never play afterwards and totally repudiated cause he always makes the laughable claim that he didn't know that the song was about tripping out on acid.

So, after decades of saying nothing about politics...all through the Cold War, 9-11 whatever, Jagger feels the need to mumble something about Trump tearing apart a declining empire that is well along in the phase of post-capitalist decline. Time to shut up again.
That's the best of Nuggie.

He sucked. If you've ever played lead, you know why he sucks, something about hand position and the lack of movement.

The Stones were a creative band up until and very slightly after Brian Jones died. Then, they became a sex and drugs band. Later, they became a live performance band, and now, they are a wonder, like, how did they survive in such good shape? :)

They did some of their most innovative stuff ironically on the Their Satanic Majesties Request album.

Prophecy, up your alley btw:

A Sgt. Pepper's parody, but it stands on it's own.

But yeah, the Beatles were a far superior band, really, without peer in 2019....

:)