Models show Trump will win 2020

Dec 2018
New England
Sigh. Once again, according to Pew, there are 33 republics which directly elect, by popular vote, their combined head of government and state. What "flaw" in our electoral college affects those systems? These nations do NOT use a system of majority districts to elect their head of government and state. Get the point and the question now?

https://www.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/FT_16.11.21_headsOfState_bar.png?w=310
... and in that Pew graphic, why isn't the US in the "elected indirectly" category? We vote for electors, and they vote for President.

Dec 2018
New England
We don't don't vote directly for president, but Pew singles out the Electoral College. What's your point?
My question is why does Pew single out the electoral college? This gets to my point. Many here, including you, are trying to position the Electoral College as some kind of democratic odd duck that creates results not possible anywhere else in the world. That argument is simply flawed. Many countries elected their chief executives indirectly. Many countries can wind up with a chief executive who lost the popular vote.

IMO, it's part of a continued effort to de-legitimize Trump's victory in 2016. You folks would be better served studying why the left lost rather than convincing yourselves that Trump didn't really win.

Dec 2018
Unionville Indiana
My question is why does Pew single out the electoral college? This gets to my point. Many here, including you, are trying to position the Electoral College as some kind of democratic odd duck that creates results not possible anywhere else in the world. That argument is simply flawed. Many countries elected their chief executives indirectly. Many countries can wind up with a chief executive who lost the popular vote.

IMO, it's part of a continued effort to de-legitimize Trump's victory in 2016. You folks would be better served studying why the left lost rather than convincing yourselves that Trump didn't really win.
So? I know why the Dems lost the Electoral College - Clinton was a lousy and lazy campaigner. Trump and many in the GOP spent the eight years of the Obama Administration de-legitimizing Obama by promoting the birtherism hoax.

Contrary to what you would like to believe, there are 65 republics which directly elect their head of government and/or head of state by popular vote. 39 republics indirectly elect their head of government and/or state. Opposition to the EC goes further back than Trump and for good reason.

I prefer that every vote count equally in Presidential elections and the RW does not.

Dec 2018
New England
So? I know why the Dems lost the Electoral College - Clinton was a lousy and lazy campaigner. Trump spent the eight years of the Obama Administration de-legitimizing Obama by promoting the birtherism hoax.

Contrary to what you would like to believe, there are 65 republics which directly elect their head of government and/or head of state by popular vote. 39 republics indirectly elect their head of government and/or state. Opposition to the EC goes further back than Trump and for good reason.

I prefer that every vote count equally in Presidential elections and the RW does not.
And if proportional voting were truly your concern, you'd start with lobbying to abolish the US Senate. That body is much further away from your "every vote count equally" ideal than is the executive branch.

Dec 2018
Unionville Indiana
And I prefer a system that requires that presidential candidates address both urban and rural needs; without the EC, they would only ever care about the former.
Rural voters are already over represented in the Senate. Look no further than all the farm bills and subsidies.

Dec 2018
Unionville Indiana
And if proportional voting were truly your concern, you'd start with lobbying to abolish the US Senate. That body is much further away from your "every vote count equally" ideal than is the executive branch.
I'm in favor of every state having two senators. The Senate is one place where small states can receive equal representation and pork.

Dec 2018
New England
Rural voters are already over represented in the Senate. Look no further than all the farm bills and subsidies.
And the populous is better represented in the House. The Executive Branch is more of a balance between the two. It's been a remarkably durable system for 230+ yrs.