Modern Technology

Nov 2013
El Paso, TX
Whenever I say that I hate modern culture, people inevitably respond with things like "Then why are you on the internet?". This misses two points. First, technology is not culture. And second, that almost all the technology we use was developed before 2000. Just compare what was developed from 1980 to 2000 versus 2000 to now. Between 1980 to 2000 we got the public internet, the Web, HTML, HTTP, cellphones, CDs, contact lenses, and many other things. Since 2000? We got JSON and better interactive maps. I can't think of anything else of value. Why is this? Because Western culture has degenerated into pure evil. It is utterly incapable of producing anything of value. Here is a typical example of what modern culture produces.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
In another thread you just said words to the effect that all technology created by this evil society is crap. So why are you on the internet?

Do you use GPS, a cell phone, stream any TV?

Do you include electricity, medical advances and things like that?

It's all part of our culture.

And why did you pick that one product out of the many, many good quality juicers available?

Nov 2013
El Paso, TX
Is this modern comedy on before or after "Ow My Balls!"?

Yes so much progressive technology to look forward to.

Nov 2013
NM
Whenever I say that I hate modern culture, people inevitably respond with things like "Then why are you on the internet?". This misses two points. First, technology is not culture. And second, that almost all the technology we use was developed before 2000. Just compare what was developed from 1980 to 2000 versus 2000 to now. Between 1980 to 2000 we got the public internet, the Web, HTML, HTTP, cellphones, CDs, contact lenses, and many other things. Since 2000? We got JSON and better interactive maps. I can't think of anything else of value. Why is this? Because Western culture has degenerated into pure evil. It is utterly incapable of producing anything of value. Here is a typical example of what modern culture produces.

From1980-2000, DARPA, NASA & other R&D agencies were spinning off innovations into the market, or forming startups to exploit new technology/techniques. Corporations were also doing more R&D, which has taken hits over the decades, as US corporations focus on meeting their financial growth projections for Wall St. The US government is also cutting back on R&D - being penny-wise & pound-foolish, in my opinion.

New startups are more secretive now, & try not to have to document any breakthroughs - to maintain their competitive edge. (For instance, see the resistance among fracking companies about the exact contents of the fluids they pump underground @ pressure to fracture oil/nat gas-bearing rock, & to lubricate & keep microfissures open. Even with federal exemptions, the industry as a whole resists every suggestion to full disclosure.)

These trends are documented out in the open literature, I believe. There's a price to be paid for coming in second in tech R&D. The Axis lost WWII partially because they couldn't keep up with the innovations & sheer production of the Allies. (& poor priorities - the Allies had problems executing, but we always meant to win. With Germany & Japan, it was hard to tell what their ultimate war aims were - short of drastically reordering the politics of the World, with themselves @ the apex.)

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
You're ignoring the evolution of the technology. I bought my first cell phone 20 years ago. You know what i could do with it ??? Make phone calls, if I was close enough to a tower to get a signal. As long as you don't need to do a lot of typing, you can practically run a business off a modern cell phone. There have been unbelievable leaps in medical tech. The automobile has undergone an amazing transformation due to the application of technologies.

Just because you can't see or touch the technology doesn't mean it's not there. Doesn't mean is isn't constantly changing and evolving.

Nov 2012
Rhondda
Camacho - the current system will back anything that produces a profit for those in control. Getting worked up about particular developments is pointless if you accept capitalism.

Nov 2013
El Paso, TX
You're ignoring the evolution of the technology. I bought my first cell phone 20 years ago. You know what i could do with it ??? Make phone calls, if I was close enough to a tower to get a signal. As long as you don't need to do a lot of typing, you can practically run a business off a modern cell phone. There have been unbelievable leaps in medical tech. The automobile has undergone an amazing transformation due to the application of technologies.
The modern cellphone is basically a computer with a screen that is too small and a horrible user interface. And with every software update, they make it worse. I don't follow medical technology because honestly I would prefer death to dealing with the American medical system. I have an old manual transmission Honda Fit which I like. I hate automatic transmission because I want the car to obey me, not the other way around. The garbage in new cars is just about adding complexity and taking contral away from the driver. And the materials used in new cars are worse.

Just because you can't see or touch the technology doesn't mean it's not there. Doesn't mean is isn't constantly changing and evolving.
I am a programmer, so I am well aware of the new software technology. And it is all horrible, all worse than what came before. If I need a library, I look for an old one or just write it myself. All new software (in the West) is over-complicated unreliable junk that I would never use.

Apr 2014
redacted
.... Why is this? Because Western culture has degenerated into pure evil. It is utterly incapable of producing anything of value...
Those are two different statements. Define "evil". Disagreed "the West" is incapable of producing anything of value. After all, we have bacon.