Morality of abortion

Feb 2019
nunya
In light of the recent Alabama abortion bill, I have started thinking about abortion.

First, my view on abortion. I am pro-choice. I feel that a woman who can feel pain shouldn't have the responsibility of having a child born accidentally or from rape/incest.

People state various religious scriptures for arguments against abortion. I am not going to counter these since they have no factual basis and I am atheist.

A fetus can feel pain at around 20 weeks into the pregnancy. And doctors use anesthesia for abortions because of this fact.

As far as having a conscious, babies develop a brain at about 6 weeks into pregnancy, with the brain activity starting at about 5 to 6 weeks. Though, the search for actual consciousness has been harder to find.
I believe that the developing brain during this time period during pregnancy is very rudimentary and not actually conscious. I believe a fetus has never experienced emotions, consciousness or any basic human values.

I do not believe a fetus is human.

If new research were to come out and contradict everything I have said, I would still put a woman's rights over that of a fetus. And I have no business limiting the rights of a women as a man.

May 2018
USA
First off, there is no religious reason for ending abortion in America. The Bible is, if anything, hugely in favor of killing babies/children. The "christians" who are anti-abortion are fakes who are totally unaware the Bible is, and always has been, pro abortion (Numbers 5:11-28). That's not to mention the various directives to parents to murder their own children for "disrespect", or the hideous verse which states "happy is he that dasheth the infant's head on a rock". But I digress. It's simple enough to say the "religious" issue with abortion, particularly from Christians, is disingenuous in the extreme. That's why I like calling them "fake christians"....that plus it's true, they ARE fake christians. Not to mention the fact that Jewish physicians not only practiced abortion, but they practiced partial-birth abortion (they'd cut up the baby in pieces in order to remove it from the mother). Jesus knew about abortion, and never condemned it once. He also knew about exposing children to the elements to die and didn't condemn that EITHER. Hmmmmm. Something tells me the bible is a lot less squeamish than the fake christians maintain. In the Bible children are nothing but chattel, property, to be disposed of however the parent decides.

Ultimately it comes down to this: the ONLY power that women have ever held in this world is the power of creation/birth. That's it. And a bunch of pandering, low-IQ, hypocritical fake christian MEN have decided to take that away from them. The party that "wants to get big government out of our lives" seemingly wants to use government power to force women to have rape babies. Pathetic, cowardly, and hypocritical in the extreme.

Last edited:
Jul 2014
massachusetts
All this wondering when the fetus becomes a person, in an abortion, the answer is NEVER.
There's one person for sure, and she gets to make the choice, because someone has to make the choice, and no one has a better claim on that authority than she does.

Because people should have control of their lives, if a woman does not wish to be pregnant, it's a choice, it's hers to make.
Because without that control of her life, she's not equal, she's at a serious disadvantage.

Nov 2017
Whether or not a fetus is human or not depends on the species of organisms that can have a fetus. If it's the fetus of the human species, then it is human; if it is not the fetus of the human species, then it is not human.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
All this wondering when the fetus becomes a person, in an abortion, the answer is NEVER.
There's one person for sure, and she gets to make the choice, because someone has to make the choice, and no one has a better claim on that authority than she does.

Because people should have control of their lives, if a woman does not wish to be pregnant, it's a choice, it's hers to make.
Because without that control of her life, she's not equal, she's at a serious disadvantage.

Yes it is an Alyssa Milano has the correct answer. Abstain.

May 2018
USA

I'll defer to doctors. Frankly if we followed the Bible parents would be allowed to murder their children of ANY age, lol. Seems to directly contradict "Thou Shalt Not Kill", doesn't it?