Morality of abortion

May 2019
US
I am pro life. But i do not believe in intervening or judging the reasoning of choices that goes through the minds of the private lives of others.
Homicides that occur within the confines of a private residence should not be investigated. It’s a private matter after all.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
It’s the video put out by the iFind project of a 20 week old. It’s hailed as the clearest look inside the womb to date. It is reported on in left and right biased newsgroups. You already argued against it as invalid because yours goes back to 1900. Your comrades insist it is fake for literally no reason (other than desire).
Here is a mental floss article about it:
New Ultrasound Tech Captures Clearest Imaging Ever of a 20-Week-Old Fetus

And here is the video of the scan:

What I find interesting is the computer images (not actual images) used by apps and YouTube videos for expecting mothers vs those used for pro-choice advocacy. Do a quick google search. How could they be different?
You are claiming this is a real time and unedited US video of a 20 week fetus?

That is wrong for several reasons:
1. this is a video of a term fetus due to the size, brain development and facial features (uterus is up to the lower ribs at term but a 20 week uterus is at about the belly button of the mother). The labels have been placed at locations that obscure the ribs. However, size can be estimated from the vertebral segments (about 5) visible on the right of the video which reveal that the uterus takes up the entire abdomen.
2. You are dismissing photography of actual fetuses for indirect and reconstructed images from an ultrasound
3. You are showing a very short video without time and size markers which appears to be sped up and edited
4. The amount of movement of the fetus is abnormal, in my experience, and further suggests that the US was sped up as well

So, once again, you have been fooled by your own bias... and the Internet with or without video editing software.

You should look for actual photos of your own demonstrating the embryo growth over the weeks of pregnancy. Try medical school or university sites as they will be less biased than your anti-ab propaganda sites.

Feb 2007
USA
No, that’s not what the studies were intended for, nor is it proven, but it is what the studies suggest. At least according to the pro-choice group that published this paper.
Well then, you should have no problem at all citing how exactly those two referenced studies concluded what is claimed in that statement. Moreover, cite the data and the methodology that were used as well. Otherwise, your claim of "what the studies suggest" regarding that statement is a mere unsubstantiated personal belief...and nothing more.

And, while that original study where that statement is found in was certainly published, where and when exactly did that "pro-choice group" actually promote that particular statement as being some sort of proven fact? Indeed, the only people or groups I've seen effectively making that claim, besides yourself, appear to be disingenuous pro-life supporters...and apparently people and groups who seemingly never read and understood those two referenced studies to begin with, or even seemingly the original study that statement is found in.

:rolleyes:

Panther

Forum Staff
Jul 2013
North Texas
Homicides that occur within the confines of a private residence should not be investigated. It’s a private matter after all.
Sure. Like any controversial subject matter under investigation, piling on my subjectivity in a matter that doesn't involve me will break this media circus wide open. If it were only that simple

May 2019
US
Well then, you should have no problem at all citing how exactly those two referenced studies concluded what is claimed in that statement. Moreover, cite the data and the methodology that were used as well. Otherwise, your claim of "what the studies suggest" regarding that statement is a mere unsubstantiated personal belief...and nothing more.

And, while that original study where that statement is found in was certainly published, where and when exactly did that "pro-choice group" actually promote that particular statement as being some sort of proven fact? Indeed, the only people or groups I've seen effectively making that claim, besides yourself, appear to be disingenuous pro-life supporters...and apparently people and groups who seemingly never read and understood those two referenced studies to begin with, or even seemingly the original study that statement is found in.

:rolleyes:
The paper cited explains exactly why they said that the studies suggest this. They suggested it. It’s reasonable given the limited information at hand. That doesn’t mean it’s a proven fact, that’s not how science, especially soft science works. The fact that the studies suggest what they suggest is not my opinion, it’s the opinion of the authors of the published paper cited. That’s why I cited it.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
No. I’m suggesting that the willful taking of a human life is not simply “none of our business”.

Until the exact cause of death of an embryo or fetus is determined by a coroner, isn't it a possible homicide by your own definition?
The anti-abortion arguments always get tangled up in the absolutism that derives from the central misconception that a fertilized egg is a human being.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
The anti-abortion arguments always get tangled up in the absolutism that derives from the central misconception that a fertilized egg is a human being.
Yet again I am reminded about what an excellent debater Donald Rumsfeld was. (This is not an endorsement in any way.) In answer to a loaded question asked by a reporter he responded with words to this effect:

You, sir have used impeccable logic to reach an illogical conclusion because you started from a false premise.
And that is so apropos here.