Morality of abortion

May 2019
US
I am going to guess that your concerns about abortion do no extend to capital punishment or lethal force or warfare or euthanizia or social responsibility for preventable mass casualties or to government actions against famine and disease.
All very different issues requiring very different concerns. Would you like to change the subject?

May 2019
US
If you want to get really picky, you might say that murder/homicide IS legal and always has been. Can you think of any examples of that? I bet you can. :cool:
The problem here is putting a "/" between murder and homicide. Murder is never legal. Sometimes homicide isn't murder. They aren't synonyms.

May 2019
US
What I see which is unreasonable in addition to a habit of personal attacks, is an attempt to impose personal moralities on everyone else, and considering the attempt to be "intellectually and logically consistent".
Why would anyone make a moral argument that they don't personally hold? If I am against you lynching black people, that's my personal moral position. If you are going to argue for it, it is very weak to claim that I am merely imposing my personal morality on you.
If your position is that you stand by RVW, that's fine insofar as their reasoning goes unchallenged. But when the reasoning is challenged, if you can't reasonably argue against said challenges, then you are in no better position than the person who simply states that they stand by Jim Crow, or any other morally untenable decision made by the Supreme Court.

May 2019
US
The problem here is putting a "/" between murder and homicide. Murder is never legal. Sometimes homicide isn't murder. They aren't synonyms. Where homicide is legal, it has to be reasoned out, to show it isn't murder. If you're going to kill someone on purpose, there are few situations where that can be reasonably argued for. Which gives me ample room for criticism.

Dec 2015
Arizona
The problem here is putting a "/" between murder and homicide. Murder is never legal. Sometimes homicide isn't murder. They aren't synonyms.
So I was wrong. You couldn't think of examples when murder is legal.

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Mostly, what I have been doing here is criticizing the pro-choice position for it's moral and intellectual holes. There's nothing unreasonable about that. All you have to do to counter my questions and critiques is become more reasonable yourself. Look up "logical consistency". See where it gets you.
I am going to guess that your concerns about abortion do not extend to capital punishment or lethal force or warfare or euthanazia or social responsibility for preventable mass casualties or to government actions against famine and disease.
All very different issues requiring very different concerns. Would you like to change the subject?
Not so different as "sanctity of human life" is central to the "anti-abortion" argument. Perhaps "life" really is not the issue for those opposed to women who want control of their pregnancies, or, perhaps, anti-abortion advocates are just confused and inconsistent and motivated by other forces.

May 2019
US
Not so different as "sanctity of human life" is central to the "anti-abortion" argument. Perhaps "life" really is not the issue for those opposed to women who want control of their pregnancies, or, perhaps, anti-abortion advocates are just confused and inconsistent and motivated by other forces.
Concern for the sanctity of human life would still necessitate a different concern for different matters involving the sanctity of human life. But rather than get into all that, it probably makes sense for you to guess at my position on tangent matters from which you can infer my motives concerning this matter, thereby ignoring your logical inconsistencies demonstrated in my earlier posts. If your going to end in ad hominem anyway, there's no need to twist yourself up to get there.

Dec 2018
Unionville Indiana
Depends on your perspective. Murder is illegal homicide, by definition as a legal term. Though it is immoral homicide more colloquially.
If the rhetoric of the anti-choice movement is taken at face value, abortion is murder and should be treated as such in the courts. Is that your position too? Prosecuting women and their colluding doctors for premeditated murder requires the extraordinary authority of a police state.

Last edited:
May 2019
US
If the rhetoric of the anti-choice movement is taken at face value, abortion is murder and should be treated as such in the courts. Is that your position too? Prosecuting women and their colluding doctors for premeditated murder requires the extraordinary authority of a police state.
Do you always provide people with their position after you ask what it is?