more on disaparing bees

Mar 2012
Maryland
Are you referring to a specific type of bee? I live in Maryland and several types of bees have been flying around for almost two months. I've even had a wasp and one of those giant black & yellow bumblebees get into my house last month.

Mar 2012
Maryland
Finally did some research on what I keep seeing outside. There are mostly carpenter bees and yellow jackets. Also, what I thought were just giant bumblebees could actually be giant Japanese hornets or maybe Giant Resin Bees. All I know is that last year I saw a group of bees in a tree outside my house, and each one was the length and size of my thumb. It completely freaked me out.

I also read that those giant Japanese hornets are predators that kill smaller insects (i.e., honey bees). So that paired with climate changes could be the reason for less honey bees the last couple of years. The other types of bees seem to be doing fine though.

Mar 2010
north east usa
dont know the reasons i just know what i dont see

which is bees.. my location is 35 miles north east of new york ny

do you think its from car gass exaust and hiways puluting bees enviornment

Mar 2012
Maryland

That's a strong possibility. Personally I think it has to do with the bees natural environment such as the introduction of new plants and insects. Deforestation is also becoming a problem with all the building projects going on. I look around the forested and grassy areas and see a lot of new plants. I see a ton of crickets and grasshoppers yet no caterpillars.

Don't forget the infestation of those flat, stinkbugs a few years ago. Farmers along the east coast had a terrible time dealing with those, and I'm pretty sure their still flying around. Wouldn't be surprised if they caused some ecological changes or something due to the sheer number of them.

waitingtables

Former Staff
Jul 2007
NJ

I live in NJ and we have bees. Different kinds.

waitingtables

Former Staff
Jul 2007
NJ
But I must say that I haven't seen as many as I used to see. But I think the heat we had in March confused things a bit.

Mar 2012
Canada
Haven't seen anything. But its not much of a surprise, up here it just started to feel like spring. Finally.

Mar 2008
australia
we have plenty of bees down here, i had a swarm of them move into the wall of my house last year. my understanding is the temperature is a big consideration for bees to start to get active, so it isnt always the same time every year.