Mother, 38, is arrested in front of her children and locked in a cell for seven HOURS after calling a transgender woman a man on Twitter

Panther

Forum Staff
Jul 2013
North Texas
Oh, I see. You're simply saying that due to cultural & other differences there is no guarantee and one law will work as well, or be accepatted as well, as it was in another country.
That's pretty much a nop-brainer, a given.
Is it a given?

Panther

Forum Staff
Jul 2013
North Texas
No. That's not a good example for you.
Poll after poll after poll shows a majority in this country WANT hate crime legislation. It's a clear majority.
Try to find any nation-wide poll (which adheres to scientific standards) which shows a majority does not want hate crime legislation. Even amongst Republican voters there is majority support (by a factor of almost 2 to 1).

There is no "incentive" for the U.S. to do so other than adopting a law that the majority of citizenry wants.

I am repeatedly amused by such statements that try to strongly insinuate that others should believe an assessment when there is no real basis provided for it.
It's called "bluffing".

If the majority of a population sees something they want enacted (regardless of whether or not it originated in another country), then by all means it should be enacted.
That's how a democracy works.

But the reality is that our country has a frame-work of free speech that presents a barrier for some legislation from another country to be adopted here. This involves two people on Twitter and as such I don't see any true risk for legislation to be adopted in this country that covers this specific scenario.
No, Hollywood. It is not a given.

Panther

Forum Staff
Jul 2013
North Texas
No. That's not a good example for you.
Poll after poll after poll shows a majority in this country WANT hate crime legislation. It's a clear majority.
Try to find any nation-wide poll (which adheres to scientific standards) which shows a majority does not want hate crime legislation. Even amongst Republican voters there is majority support (by a factor of almost 2 to 1).

There is no "incentive" for the U.S. to do so other than adopting a law that the majority of citizenry wants.
You'd trust poll to do our legislation for us!?
I suppose it is better than our legislators not reading the bills they pass.

I am repeatedly amused by such statements that try to strongly insinuate that others should believe an assessment when there is no real basis provided for it.
It's called "bluffing".
Polls aren't used for bluffing in discussions?

If the majority of a population sees something they want enacted (regardless of whether or not it originated in another country), then by all means it should be enacted.
That's how a democracy works.
No. That's representation at work! It is representation based on a well informed citizenry, which we are not, ihmo.

Democracy?! From Trump down to AOC would quiver at its actual implementations!

But the reality is that our country has a frame-work of free speech that presents a barrier for some legislation from another country to be adopted here. This involves two people on Twitter and as such I don't see any true risk for legislation to be adopted in this country that covers this specific scenario.
Does it? I'd liked to be wrong, but i have yet too hear American ideas for American conundrums that isn't smacked down immediately by the extreme fringes on both sides as some sort of betrayal, which it is a betrayal of their drive or authoritarian rule.
Might as fly foreign politicians in to run this country if we can't come up with our own solutions.

Nov 2005
California
You'd trust poll to do our legislation for us!?
I suppose it is better than our legislators not reading the bills they pass.
I am not saying "trust polling". However, it is one sign out of many.
I'm open to any evidence you have which shows there is not majority support for hate crime legislation...

Polls aren't used for bluffing in discussions?
Interesting diversion...
You don't have any evidence to support your claim, so instead you complain about the evidence I provide => polls... :rolleyes:

Regardless, "hate crime" legislation, in and of itself, is not truly directly relevant to the point of this thread. The charges against the woman in article #1 involved defamation and slander.

No. That's representation at work! It is representation based on a well informed citizenry, which we are not, ihmo.
Care to elaborate on how (related to the topic / discussion) there is a problem with citizenry being not well informed?

Cause as a general principle, I would agree for some specific examples. On this example, I don't know how you're making that assessment.

Democracy?! From Trump down to AOC would quiver at its actual implementations!
I would agree with that on general principle.
There is too much distraction within government and politics these days.

Does it? I'd liked to be wrong, but i have yet too hear American ideas for American conundrums that isn't smacked down immediately by the extreme fringes on both sides as some sort of betrayal, which it is a betrayal of their drive or authoritarian rule.
Might as fly foreign politicians in to run this country if we can't come up with our own solutions.
I think you're blurring an important line for me...
I'm talking about LEGISLATION. It appears you are talking about social justice warriors / social vigilantism.

I still don't see the foreign governmental influence like you claim.
Like I said earlier, if a majority see an idea they like implemented by somebody else, then they should be free to implement that.

Reactions: Lyzza
Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
there has to be more to this troy i doubt they arrested her JUST for calling that freak a man, i dont think you shold be arrested for calling a trannie its actuall birth sex, i find this whole trangender thing absurd, but i'd like to know the truth, she probably did a lot more than just call that thing a man

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
A mother was arrested in front of her children and locked up for seven hours after referring to a transgender woman as a man online.

Three officers detained Kate Scottow at her home before quizzing her at a police station about an argument with an activist on Twitterover so-called 'deadnaming'.

The 38-year-old, from Hitchin, Hertfordshire, had her photograph, DNA and fingerprints taken and remains under investigation.

More than two months after her arrest on December 1, she has had neither her mobile phone or laptop returned, which she says is hampering her studies for a Masters in forensic psychology.

Redirect Notice

Very cool!

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
there has to be more to this troy i doubt they arrested her JUST for calling that freak a man, i dont think you shold be arrested for calling a trannie its actuall birth sex, i find this whole trangender thing absurd, but i'd like to know the truth, she probably did a lot more than just call that thing a man
I agree with you, less the hate.