Mueller Testimony - Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Jul 2019
Georgia
Intel starts at 1 (may start later due to this hearing going over)

lineup

Majority
Adam Schiff, California, Chair
Jim Himes, Connecticut
Terri Sewell, Alabama
André Carson, Indiana
Jackie Speier, California
Mike Quigley, Illinois
Eric Swalwell, California
Joaquin Castro, Texas
Denny Heck, Washington
Sean Patrick Maloney, New York
Val Demings, Florida
Raja Krishnamoorthi, Illinois
Peter Welch, Vermont

Minority
Devin Nunes, California, Ranking Member
Mike Conaway, Texas
Mike Turner, Ohio
Brad Wenstrup, Ohio
Chris Stewart, Utah
Rick Crawford, Arkansas
Elise Stefanik, New York
Will Hurd, Texas
John Ratcliffe, Texas

Ex officio
Nancy Pelosi, California
Kevin McCarthy, California

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Here is a tome worthy of some of LtR's posts, a summary of what I thought was significant in the first phase of the hearing.

The biggest moments
so far:
  • Asked by House Judiciary Chair Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.) if his report exonerates President Trump — as Trump has frequently and falsely claimed — Mueller responded: "No." He said that it is unconstitutional to indict a sitting president, but told Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.) that prosecution could in theory occur after Trump leaves office.
  • Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.) asked Mueller if the reason that he did not indict Trump is because of the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel opinion that a sitting president cannot be indicted. Mueller responded: "That is correct."
  • Mueller told Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.) that he would "generally agree" that lies by Trump campaign and administration officials who were interviewed "impeded" the investigation.
  • Mueller told Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) that Justice Department ethics officials concluded that he had no conflicts of interest that prevented him from serving as special counsel. He also denied, for the first time, Trump's claim that his application for FBI director was rejected. He said he discussed the FBI job with Trump, but "not as a candidate."
Link to his opening statement where importantly he says:

First, our investigation found that the Russian government interfered in our election in sweeping and systematic fashion.
-~-
It is unusual for a prosecutor to testify about a criminal investigation, and given my role as a prosecutor, there are reasons why my testimony will necessarily be limited.

First, public testimony could affect several ongoing matters. In some of these matters, court rules or judicial orders limit the disclosure of information to protect the fairness of the proceedings. And consistent with longstanding Justice Department policy, it would be inappropriate for me to comment in any way that could affect an ongoing matter.

Second, the Justice Department has asserted privileges concerning investigative information and decisions, ongoing matters within the Justice Department, and deliberations within our office. These are Justice Department privileges that I will respect.

The Department has released the letter discussing the restrictions on my testimony.I therefore will not be able to answer questions about certain areas that I know are of public interest. For example, I am unable to address questions about the opening of the FBI's Russia investigation, which occurred months before my appointment, or matters related to the so-called "Steele Dossier." These matters are the subject of ongoing review by the Department. Any questions on these topics should therefore be directed to the FBI or the Justice Department.
Read Robert Mueller's opening statement to Congress

Jul 2019
Georgia
Here is a tome worthy of some of LtR's posts, a summary of what I thought was significant in the first phase of the hearing.

Link to his opening statement where importantly he says:

Read Robert Mueller's opening statement to Congress

honestly, that's the thing I find most disgusting. The Mueller Report lays out, in excruciating detail, how far Russia went to attack our elections. And this administration has done absolutely nothing about it.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Jul 2019
Georgia
I'm going to give credit where credit is due. Will Hurd, a Republican, is asking questions showing that he actually cares about the facts of the investigation, and not being an obstructionist partisan.

This isn't the first time Hurd has shown he's a stand up man of integrity.