My Solution

Aug 2019
La Habra, CA
On the contrary, I think the mass shooting incidents would reduce tremendously. Especially if the shooter is some kid who had access to his daddy's gun.
What normally sane, registered gun owner would commit a mass shooting? Not that many I think. For the ones who do flip out and go on a killing spree; there isn't much anyone can do about that.

May 2019
USA
On the contrary, I think the mass shooting incidents would reduce tremendously. Especially if the shooter is some kid who had access to his daddy's gun.
What normally sane, registered gun owner would commit a mass shooting? Not that many I think. For the ones who do flip out and go on a killing spree; there isn't much anyone can do about that.
80% of mass shootings are carried out with legally purchased firearms.

Aug 2019
La Habra, CA
Ok, how many of those shootings are done by actual owners and somebody that stole their weapon? Or a kid of the owner?

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
All these "what if " scenarios could easily be addressed beforehand with education. Maybe with a class or video

Well now. I can clearly see that your are obviously privileged. You've probably lived an exceedingly safe, at least upper middle class, maybe even better and well insulated little life.

YOU'VE NEVER BEEN ASSAULTED !!! Probably not even seriously threatened.

You have NO idea how fast things happen. You have no idea just how quickly you can go from standing talking to a friend to dead. Even the best trained police struggle with criminals. If you wake up and the bag guy is already IN THE ROOM, you may not have to to get your weapon out. You certainly don't have time to take additional steps to activate it. A class or video is NOT going to save you. NOTHING can truly prepare you to be on the receiving end of violence.

I didn't carry a weapon for years. I'm a decent sized guy. I had reasonable reflexes and was strong enough. I also had a small amount of marshal arts training. On top of that, I didn't go looking for trouble. I did my best to avoid areas and situations where an altercation was possible.

I have no idea when I turned into this fat, tired, out of shape, old man, I see in the mirror these days. Some days, usually after doing some project I should have hired done, it's all I can do to get out of bed. There is simply no way I can go toe to toe with some amped up, muscle up young thug. Prepping a weapon is flipping the safety or chambering a round. Even that me be too long to wait. Having to take some additional step, much less several ?? Might as well not have the gun. Just go buy a baseball bat.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Ok, how many of those shootings are done by actual owners and somebody that stole their weapon? Or a kid of the owner?
Sandy Hook is the only one I know of where the shooter stole his weapons. He killed his mother first and took her weapons. Of course he was severely mentally ill. Almost every other mass shooter used legally purchased weapons and were the legal owners of those weapons.

Aug 2019
La Habra, CA
Look, my idea is just that; an idea. Nothing is set in stone, but at least I thought of something.

Why should my upbringing have anything to do with the discussion?

If you got a better idea, spill it.

Aug 2019
La Habra, CA
Earlier today I shot a message to Smith and Wesson to see if this is even possible. I haven't heard anything back yet.

Sep 2018
KC, MO
Smart Gun Initiative

Mission: To have every firearm equipped with "Smart" gun technology.

The Smart Gun Initiative, or SGI, will put a condition on every firearm that must be met before it can be fired. The condition is that the weapon must first receive an electronic signal from the owner of the weapon before it can be fired. The signal could come from an app on the owner's smartphone.

Every firearm that does not have this technology should be illegal.

We have smartphones, smart cars, smart homes, etc. Why can't we have smart guns?
Because An Intruder Just Kicked In My Door
I Need That Gun To Fire NOW
I Don't Have Time, Or Wherewithal To Fuck With A Phone In The Dark
While Getting The Gun Out Of It's Required Safe,
And Getting The Key To Unscrew The Required Child Safety Trigger Lock