Nearly every officer in charge of an Indiana police department has been disciplined — including the chief who keeps promoting them

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Nearly every officer in charge of an Indiana police department has been disciplined — including the chief who keeps promoting them

Of the 34 supervisors in the Elkhart, Indiana, Police Department, 28 have been disciplined. Fifteen have been suspended. Seven have been involved in fatal shootings. Three have been convicted of criminal charges.

Of the 34 supervisors in the Elkhart, Indiana, Police Department, 28 have been disciplined. Fifteen have been suspended. Seven have been involved in fatal shootings. Three have been convicted of criminal charges.

By Ken Armstrong / ProPublica
November 18, 2018, 3:09 AM GMT
Print
70 COMMENTS

Photo Credit: c/o The Free Thought Project
When Ed Windbigler became Elkhart’s police chief in January 2016, one of his first tasks was selecting his top command staff.
For assistant chief, his second in command, Windbigler named Todd Thayer. Less than three years before, Thayer had been demoted two ranks for making flippant comments about a fatal shooting. Witnesses reported he said a fellow officer could now check shooting a person off his “bucket list.”
For patrol captain, Windbigler named Brent Long. Less than two years before, Long had received a four-day suspension for sending inappropriate emails to fellow officers. One email included gruesome photos of a man in another city who, while running from police, jumped or fell from an overpass and was decapitated on a wrought-iron fence.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
Under Windbigler, Thayer and Long are not aberrations, according to a review of personnel files by the South Bend Tribune and ProPublica. Twenty-eight of the Elkhart Police Department’s 34 supervisors, from chief down to sergeant, have disciplinary records. The reasons range from carelessness to incompetence to serious, even criminal, misconduct. Fifteen of them have served suspensions, including Windbigler himself, who was once suspended for three days — and ordered to pay punitive damages in a federal lawsuit alleging excessive force.
One officer promoted to sergeant by Windbigler has been disciplined more than two dozen times, once for using police communications equipment to refer to “white power.” Another sergeant choked a man in custody. Another failed to report domestic violence by a fellow officer, who had battered a woman and shot her cat. Still another habitually skipped mandatory training and then lied about why, saying he had been attending to police union business.
At least three current supervisors have been convicted of crimes during their careers.
Seven have opened fire in at least one fatal shooting. One officer made sergeant by Windbigler fired his gun in three fatal shootings in a little more than four years, including one that led to a lawsuit and settlement. Another used his Taser on a high school student while working as a resource officer, then, a week later, shot and killed a man who turned out to be unarme

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
You see this as a bad thing? it sounds like the Indiana Police department is policing itself very well. (No officer is perfect, so if they make an error they should be disciplined). So if all the officers have been disciplined it means they are doing their due diligence

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
You see this as a bad thing? it sounds like the Indiana Police department is policing itself very well. (No officer is perfect, so if they make an error they should be disciplined). So if all the officers have been disciplined it means they are doing their due diligence
it is a cliche the wolf guarding the hen house

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
No more like the sheep dog guarding the flock.

if it was a wolf the evidence would have been buried, no discipleary action taken and be on their records for the world to see.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
Are you trying to be funny? That's a serious question BTW.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Are you trying to be funny? That's a serious question BTW.
No I am being serious.. no police officer is perfect.. so if officers are being disciplined for actions that are not proper.. then the self policing is effective..

I would be more concerned if the officers were not getting disciplinary action on their records.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
No I am being serious.. no police officer is perfect.. so if officers are being disciplined for actions that are not proper.. then the self policing is effective..

I would be more concerned if the officers were not getting disciplinary action on their records.
So, if you owned or ran a business you would promote an employee that constanlty broke work rules and even committed crimes while working for you?
For the love of God...WHY???

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
So, if you owned or ran a business you would promote an employee that constanlty broke work rules and even committed crimes while working for you?
For the love of God...WHY???

in your business are you covering up misconduct and still promoting them?

It would be according to the disciplinary action taken.. If you are disciplined for an error in judgment and learn from the action taken, then Yes I would promote them. if there is a person that has several issues I would not.

By putting the action on their records you can see if there is a pattern, or if it is a one time event...

it would depend upon for what they were disciplined.

Were they disciplined for taking longer than allowed lunch breaks or were they disciplined for using excessive force.

then the question would be did the issues continue after the action..

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
in your business are you covering up misconduct and still promoting them?

It would be according to the disciplinary action taken.. If you are disciplined for an error in judgment and learn from the action taken, then Yes I would promote them. if there is a person that has several issues I would not.

By putting the action on their records you can see if there is a pattern, or if it is a one time event...

it would depend upon for what they were disciplined.

Were they disciplined for taking longer than allowed lunch breaks or were they disciplined for using excessive force.

then the question would be did the issues continue after the action..
About time you started to talk sensibly.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
About time you started to talk sensibly.
That is the way I was talking from the beginning.

The fact the department is taking disciplinary action.. is an indication that they are doing a good job of self policing. (I think that was a what I was saying in my first post in this thread)