Need some help. Just what the heck does Liz Warren mean by "rigged?"

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Anyone watching the news these days can't help buy hear Sen. Warren employ her absolutely lovely speaking voice to assure us all how the US economy is "rigged." Would any of her supporters here like to explain what she means by that assertion and why we should believe her?

Let me explain it to you in one man's name. Donald J Trump !!!!! He is not all that smart. Sorry he just isn't. He's not even that good a business man (imho) He was however, born wealthy. He attended all the "right" schools. Joined all the "right" clubs. Made all the "right" connections. Now to be able to join the aforementioned institutions takes money and connections. Having been privy to every benefit that wealth brings it would be more of a surprise had he not succeeded in some way. Having inherited a substantial estate certainly didn't hurt his chances going forward. Truthfully is he had invested that inheritance in a good old fashion index stock fund, he'd be worth about twice what he currently is estimated to be.

However, if unlike Trump you weren't born rich, didn't attend all the right school, make the right connections, join the right clubs, it is extremely difficult to break that glass ceiling. It's possible. There are many that have. But in the general scheme of things what ever level of society your are born into, tends to be exactly where you stay. Even if you do manage to make bucket loads of money, become unfathomably wealthy, you still may find yourself on the outside looking in at at the upper echelons of society.

Tell me, no matter what you think of her politics, you have to admit Oprah Winfrey started life with just about every disadvantage as a person could possibly be saddled with. She is black, born in rural Mississippi to an unwed mother in the 1950's. Yet she rose to become America's first black billionaire. Tell me, between Trump and Winfrey, who's the better business person ?? But now, what makes her so special is that she is such a rarity. I mean, she was the first black billionaire ?? How many white billionaires do we have ?? And of that number, how many of them literally started with nothing ?? How many started with at least a middle to upper middle class education ? How many started with some substantial wealth ?? Most of them started with more than a little wealth.

If life were like a baseball game. Many of us start out in the ball park and maybe if we scrap and fight long enough and hard enough, we'll get a change at bat. Many more are born on the street outside the ball park. They have to fight like hell just just to get inside the park, much less earn a chance at bat. The Trumps of the world, were born on third base. And when they cross home plate, every one of them thinks THEY hit the home run.

Except in Trump's case. In his world not only did he hit A home run, he hit THE home run. The yugest, biggest, baddest bestest home run ever hit in the entire history of home runs. It's true !! Just ask him !!

May 2018
Chicago
I challenge you to cite a "reality" that I have not acknowledged in this thread. (or in any other thread in this forum that matter)
You're joking, right? Did you read your own BLM thread? That entire thread shows you have no grasp on the reality that many black folks face. Even when given links that showed you were wrong, you simply ignored them and tried to sound intelligent while you did. The problem for you is, the only person you fooled was yourself. Your tactics might work in other forums, but they're not going to work here.

You don't want to get to the root of any societal problem. You are only interested in your own ideology.

Last edited:
Dec 2018
New England
Let me explain it to you in one man's name. Donald J Trump !!!!! He is not all that smart. Sorry he just isn't. He's not even that good a business man (imho) He was however, born wealthy. He attended all the "right" schools. Joined all the "right" clubs. Made all the "right" connections. Now to be able to join the aforementioned institutions takes money and connections. Having been privy to every benefit that wealth brings it would be more of a surprise had he not succeeded in some way. Having inherited a substantial estate certainly didn't hurt his chances going forward. Truthfully is he had invested that inheritance in a good old fashion index stock fund, he'd be worth about twice what he currently is estimated to be.

However, if unlike Trump you weren't born rich, didn't attend all the right school, make the right connections, join the right clubs, it is extremely difficult to break that glass ceiling. It's possible. There are many that have. But in the general scheme of things what ever level of society your are born into, tends to be exactly where you stay. Even if you do manage to make bucket loads of money, become unfathomably wealthy, you still may find yourself on the outside looking in at at the upper echelons of society.

Tell me, no matter what you think of her politics, you have to admit Oprah Winfrey started life with just about every disadvantage as a person could possibly be saddled with. She is black, born in rural Mississippi to an unwed mother in the 1950's. Yet she rose to become America's first black billionaire. Tell me, between Trump and Winfrey, who's the better business person ?? But now, what makes her so special is that she is such a rarity. I mean, she was the first black billionaire ?? How many white billionaires do we have ?? And of that number, how many of them literally started with nothing ?? How many started with at least a middle to upper middle class education ? How many started with some substantial wealth ?? Most of them started with more than a little wealth.

If life were like a baseball game. Many of us start out in the ball park and maybe if we scrap and fight long enough and hard enough, we'll get a change at bat. Many more are born on the street outside the ball park. They have to fight like hell just just to get inside the park, much less earn a chance at bat. The Trumps of the world, were born on third base. And when they cross home plate, every one of them thinks THEY hit the home run.

Except in Trump's case. In his world not only did he hit A home run, he hit THE home run. The yugest, biggest, baddest bestest home run ever hit in the entire history of home runs. It's true !! Just ask him !!
Two things. First, you'll get no argument from me Oprah is a better person than Trump in almost every way, but does it occur to you that by citing the tale of a disadvantaged black woman becoming a billionaire that you're giving us evidence that the system is not so rigged against those who start out poor?

Second, you can't name the society where those born rich don't have a head start. If that's your an Warren's definition of "rigged" than your destination is an economic fantasy land where wealth at birth doesn't matter. It always will. "Rigged" implies a set of unfair rules that prevent those who work hard and do the right things from getting ahead. Warren is trying to convince those that aren't as far along as they'd like to be that it's someone else's fault. It's an old political game, and at least in the US, it's also an old lie.

Dec 2018
New England
You're joking, right? Did you read your own BLM thread? That entire thread shows you have no grasp on the reality that many black folks face. Even when given links that showed you were wrong, you simply ignored them and tried to sound intelligent while you did. The problem for you is, the only person you fooled was yourself. Your tactics might work in other forums, but they're not going to work here.

You don't want to get to the root of any societal problem. You are only interested in your own ideology.
I'm not at all joking, and your reply here proves it.

I asked you to cite a "reality" I ignored, and you couldn't do it. You had to make a lame generalization to safe face. In that BLM thread I cite several "realities" i.e. facts. I also draw opinions from those facts. It is not the facts with which you disagree (or if you do, you and foundit certainly haven't proven the rates I cited to be not facts). It is my opinions you object to.

Where you get tangled up is here. The opinion I draw from the facts is that the violent crime rate in black America has more to do with fatal police shootings of blacks than does racism. Again, that is an opinion. I might be right, I might be wrong, but I recognize my belief as an opinion. You have a differing opinion, which is fine, reasonable people can differ. Where you become unreasonable is that you don't think your belief in racism uber alles is an opinion. You think it's fact. You think by disagreeing with that opinion I am disagreeing with objective reality, which is what I mean when I say you and so many on the left confuse opinion and reality. You have a doctrine, and that doctrine is your reality.

Lastly, your closing line of the post is extremely telling. You're so steeped in your dogma you actually describe a differing opinion as an indication of not wanting to get to "the root" of the problem. Sorry, that's nuts. I may be wrong, but I do want the problem solved, and only your politics is preventing you from seeing that.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Two things. First, you'll get no argument from me Oprah is a better person than Trump in almost every way, but does it occur to you that by citing the tale of a disadvantaged black woman becoming a billionaire that you're giving us evidence that the system is not so rigged against those who start out poor?

Second, you can't name the society where those born rich don't have a head start. If that's your an Warren's definition of "rigged" than your destination is an economic fantasy land where wealth at birth doesn't matter. It always will. "Rigged" implies a set of unfair rules that prevent those who work hard and do the right things from getting ahead. Warren is trying to convince those that aren't as far along as they'd like to be that it's someone else's fault. It's an old political game, and at least in the US, it's also an old lie.
You admit right there the system is "rigged". The truth is for every Oprah we have ten thousand Trumps. Trump has never "worked" much less "worked hard" a day in his entire life. If working hard and doing the right thing made us rich, we'd have a country filled with millionaires and billionaires. Myself included. The fact that the system is "rigged" doesn't necessarily means it's impenetrable. It's just a whole lot harder when you don't have the advantages of wealth to start with. It is rigged, always has been, most likely always will be. That however doesn't mean we shouldn't at least try to level the field a bit. That we shouldn't attempt to make it a little more possible for those with the talent and the drive, but not the education, connections and financials to succeed. That is what I believe Warren is talking about. Making it just a little easier for the Oprah's of the world to get a start. Where they go with after that is up to them.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
Anyone watching the news these days can't help buy hear Sen. Warren employ her absolutely lovely speaking voice to assure us all how the US economy is "rigged." Would any of her supporters here like to explain what she means by that assertion and why we should believe her?
Rigged, noun. Common usuage is jury rigged. A Rigger is a Navy shipyard term used by sand crabs and that job pays good money.

Nov 2012
nirvana
Because it’s true.

Next question.