NFL: NY Giants to bench QB Eli Manning. Smith gets spotlight.

Jul 2017
Adirondack Park, NY
NFL:
NY Giants have benched QB Eli Manning.
Replacing Manning in the lead is former Jets QB Geno Smith.
This is a grim prospect, as the NY (NJ) Jets did not have much success w/ smith.

Eli Manning is a special talent.
Not too many years ago, when the NE Patriots had an undefeated season, the Pats were paired against the Giants in the superbowl.

Plaxico Burris was with the Giants back then, and made such notable plays as catching a pass between hand and helmet, near the sidelines.
Such plays helped the Giants keep scoring drives alive, and lead the Giants to victory.

New England Pats coach Belechek seemed so confident of a superbowl win that year, it seemed the Patriots had already begun to celebrate.

But Eli Manning knew the plays he had to make to win that game, and made them, beating rival QB Tom Brady *.

This made the NY Giants the superbowl champions that year, and left Pats coach Belechek so angry he refused the customary post-game mid-field congratulatory handshake; as if he'd been robbed.

Perhaps he had been.

And now this champion / superbowl winner is benched. Will Manning ever play another game? Win another championship?

Or has the reign of the Manning boys come to an end?

BTW
Eli's older QB brother Peyton recently retired, from the NFL, but continues his acting gig in commercials.

Bonus Question:
Who do you like for this season's superbowl? Got a points spread?

* Some say NE Pats Tom Brady is the best quarterback the NFL has ever had.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
NFL:
NY Giants have benched QB Eli Manning.
Replacing Manning in the lead is former Jets QB Geno Smith.
This is a grim prospect, as the NY (NJ) Jets did not have much success w/ smith.

Eli Manning is a special talent.
Not too many years ago, when the NE Patriots had an undefeated season, the Pats were paired against the Giants in the superbowl.

Plaxico Burris was with the Giants back then, and made such notable plays as catching a pass between hand and helmet, near the sidelines.
Such plays helped the Giants keep scoring drives alive, and lead the Giants to victory.

New England Pats coach Belechek seemed so confident of a superbowl win that year, it seemed the Patriots had already begun to celebrate.

But Eli Manning knew the plays he had to make to win that game, and made them, beating rival QB Tom Brady *.

This made the NY Giants the superbowl champions that year, and left Pats coach Belechek so angry he refused the customary post-game mid-field congratulatory handshake; as if he'd been robbed.

Perhaps he had been.

And now this champion / superbowl winner is benched. Will Manning ever play another game? Win another championship?

Or has the reign of the Manning boys come to an end?

BTW
Eli's older QB brother Peyton recently retired, from the NFL, but continues his acting gig in commercials.

Bonus Question:
Who do you like for this season's superbowl? Got a points spread?

* Some say NE Pats Tom Brady is the best quarterback the NFL has ever had.
Show me a loser and I will show you a loser. Vince Lombardi

Baby Bart (Bart Starr) was the best quarterback ever.

Aug 2014
Earth
A more broad question, why do people go to Jets games? Historically the Jets are not a very good franchise with mediocre teams. The last time they were in the Super Bowl was way back when Nixon was President. If I loved pro football as a New Yorker, I would be a Giants fan just because they put out a better product.

I live abroad and much more of a college football fan anyway, but I noticed that the Giants really suck this year. 2-9? Dunno, what do you do as a coach or as players when your season is over and just playing to get it over with? Do you try to win, or just say screw it? Probably a lot of that team won't be there next year.

The Eagles, another historically craptastic franchise (maybe wearing green has something to do with it) are good this year. 10-1, might go all the way, or not. Dunno, but heard that Philidelphia fans are real assholes, maybe they are because their team hasn't done anything special for decades. My Saints are 8-3. I thought Jesus was going to come back when that team won the Super Bowl. Talk about the Cubs of the NFL. Lastly, the Rams of all teams are doing well. I thought, who is stupid enough to buy the Rams? But here we are.

Jul 2017
Adirondack Park, NY
"what do you do as a coach or as players when your season is over and just playing to get it over with? Do you try to win, or just say screw it?" sw #3
I find that a particularly interesting question in context of the Giants.

I don't remember the details.
But very roughly 15 years ago the Giants were scheduled for a game late in the season. Their fate was already numerically sealed. They were out of the running. Win or lose this game, their season was over.

And yet the took the field, and even though it didn't "matter" they played to win, for four quarters.

It was an interesting expression of professionalism.

On the broader view, I'd assumed the Pats would be at this season's superbowl.
But Philly seems to be having a good year, and they're not the only ones.

Jun 2013
Ohio
Geno Smith is terrible. Manning has lost his receivers to injury and doesn’t have much of a running game to depend on. They should have let him play out the season. I would like to see a New England - Philadelphia Super Bowl.

Jul 2017
Adirondack Park, NY
C #5

Geno Smith dropped a stink-bomb on the Jets.
Whether he can turn it into potpourri for the Giants, TBD.
" I would like to see a New England - Philadelphia Super Bowl.
Wouldn't surprise me.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
I find that a particularly interesting question in context of the Giants.

I don't remember the details.
But very roughly 15 years ago the Giants were scheduled for a game late in the season. Their fate was already numerically sealed. They were out of the running. Win or lose this game, their season was over.

And yet the took the field, and even though it didn't "matter" they played to win, for four quarters.

It was an interesting expression of professionalism.

On the broader view, I'd assumed the Pats would be at this season's superbowl.
But Philly seems to be having a good year, and they're not the only ones.
Joe Namath wore Haines women's nylon sheer stockings in ads on TV and was the centerfold in the first Playgirl Magazine. Playgirl Magazine went belly up decades ago. Hef is still rolling in his grave over that blunder.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Geno Smith is terrible. Manning has lost his receivers to injury and doesn’t have much of a running game to depend on. They should have let him play out the season. I would like to see a New England - Philadelphia Super Bowl.
The best QB (I say this with a heavy heart is Tom Brady) now what QB is undefeated in the Super Bowl vs Brady beating him twice.

if you have no running game, and no O-Line or a receiver that can get open. no QB is going to win.

Jun 2013
Ohio
C #5

Geno Smith dropped a stink-bomb on the Jets.
Whether he can turn it into potpourri for the Giants, TBD.

Wouldn't surprise me.
Geno Smith is not going to make Odell Beckham and Brandon Marshall magically re-appear. He won’t be able to improve their running game either. The higher ups are making Manning the fall guy for their recent bad drafting.

Jul 2017
Adirondack Park, NY
T7 #8

I'm not trying to put you on the spot, or trip you up.
Candidly, I don't like Brady either, though I don't know that I have a rational reason.
Perhaps he reminds me of some kid that beat me up on the playground a half century ago.

BUT !!

The critics revere Brady, calling him the hardest working guy on the team, if not the league.

The "deflate-gate" story is consistent with Brady's reputed attention to detail.

What I've wondered is:

Brady's team mates at least in public seem to respect and or like Brady.

I wonder how they really feel.

I thought a guy like Rothlisburger might be more popular with his teammates.

C #9

I hadn't thought about it that deeply C.
But after me reading your comment it occurs to me. The coach knows the season's over.
I'm guessing Eli is older than Geno.

So maybe the coach staff decided to:

- keep their powder dry with Eli (on the sidelines)
- get their BU QB some more play time
- package it to look like a disciplinary move against Manning, when in reality, not so much.