no free speech on college campuses

Nov 2012
Michigan
now the republicans are saying college students are not mentally developed enuf to be entitled to full rights of free speech as american citizens.

wait a second..... ooops, no its the demoncrats. a demoncrat on the civil rights commission no less. wants to curtail free speech for college students and says its the duty of the civil rights commission to enforce it.

Reactions: 1 person
Apr 2013
The Milky Way
Yes, and Democrats in the US Senate want to amend the First Amendment. Free speech is not compatible with radical left wing nuts politics.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
now the republicans are saying college students are not mentally developed enuf to be entitled to full rights of free speech as american citizens.

wait a second..... ooops, no its the demoncrats. a demoncrat on the civil rights commission no less. wants to curtail free speech for college students and says its the duty of the civil rights commission to enforce it.
Another unlinked claim. I wonder if there isn't some context involved here that webguy doesn't want us to see.

Reactions: 3 people
Jun 2012
Barsoom
Another unlinked claim. I wonder if there isn't some context involved here that webguy doesn't want us to see.
Commissioner Yaki of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights:

I guess I’m having some, a topic that I’ve been following for a number of years and it stems in part from the time that Mr. Marcus was our staff director, has to do with hate speech, hate crimes against groups of individuals on campus.

And it seems to me that there are ways that you can create a very apprehensive coordinate [possible transcription error -EV] of sexual harassment on a campus, but you [Greg Lukianoff -EV] probably would not find any prohibition by a university on that type of conduct to pass muster. Would that be correct? …

What about a slave auction at a fraternity engagement or a day where another group decides that they’re going to celebrate Latino culture by making everyone dress as janitors and mop floors or a situation involving women, have them as a ritual parade around in skimpy clothing and turn in some show or something.

I mean where do you think you can, that the university can’t deal with ensuring the route it has environment that is not oppressive or hostile because obviously a campus, especially certain types of campuses where there’s a lot of, where, that are geographically compact, that have a lot of working and living situations in a close area to create a campus atmosphere.

I mean doesn’t the campus only ensure itself being much more, being somewhat more closed than just sort of random person on the street where there’s shouting at someone?

Doesn’t that gravitate toward having greater ability to proscribe certain types of conduct that have the ability to escalate beyond what anyone would consider to be reasonable or acceptable?​

Nov 2012
Michigan
michael yaki, former staff for nancy pelosi.

gee, that took me less than two minutes, something wrong with your search engine?

Reactions: 1 person

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
michael yaki, former staff for nancy pelosi.

gee, that took me less than two minutes, something wrong with your search engine?
It's pretty standard forum etiquette that he who makes the claim justifies it.

Reactions: 4 people