No, media outlets do not report equally for each candidate

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Somebody did a count on coverage during the 2016 elections. I think it was a week's coverage. Trump got a little over 2 1/2 hours of air time, Hillary was given an hour. Poor old Bernie, even though he was filling venues that neither Trump nor Hillary were filling. In some cases he had more people showing than the two of them combined. So how much air time did he get ?? 15 minutes !!!!!!!

For all the whining and bitching from the Trumpeteers about how evil and biased the news is, the fact remains Trump gets well covered. Every word he speaks or tweets gets examined. Trump is to the news media what Obama was to the gun industry. Love him or hate him, he's pure ratings gold. And as they say there simply is no such thing as bad publicity.

Reactions: se7en and Clara007
Dec 2015
Arizona
I just have to laugh. One minute the Right is squealing about "the evil press" "the lying liars who lie" "the enemy of the people" because they autopsy our sitting president. The next minute we read about unequal/unfair coverage...?
Trump: "Unequal coverage should be tested in the courts." Dec. 2018
Trump: "If the totally Corrupt Media was less corrupt, I would be up by 15 points in the polls based on our tremendous success with the economy, maybe Best Ever!" June 2019

Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM

The NYT ran a headline that Bernie Sanders spoke to almost no one at a recent Iowa fair...

This is not new, but it's a bit shocking how brazenly dishonest this one is in particular.
Media is owned by rich corporations, so even what people call "mainstream" or "liberally biased" media is helping to sell the worship the rich narrative. Can't possibly have Bernie would is pushing for more taxes (and rightfully so) on the rich, who have been handed the keys to the treasury to take whatever they want.

Reactions: Clara007
Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I just have to laugh. One minute the Right is squealing about "the evil press" "the lying liars who lie" "the enemy of the people" because they autopsy our sitting president. The next minute we read about unequal/unfair coverage...?
Trump: "Unequal coverage should be tested in the courts." Dec. 2018
Trump: "If the totally Corrupt Media was less corrupt, I would be up by 15 points in the polls based on our tremendous success with the economy, maybe Best Ever!" June 2019
My position is not that the media is corrupt. Rather media outlets are fore-profit organizations that need to earn money. Therefore the stories they put out are intended to make money first, inform second. I've always recommended when a story comes out, look for the coverage from multiple sources, not an individual source. If you're looking at just the NYT, or just MSNBC, or just Fox News, or just ANY source, you're doing it wrong.

Reactions: Clara007