Not sure those "Go Back" tweets from Trump are racist ...

Dec 2018
New England
... ok, bear with me for a moment. This came up in another thread and thought I would opine on it here. While it is an article of faith in the left that Trump's latest Tweet-attacks on The Squad are examples of his racism. I'm not sure they are.

I think what can be said is those tweets are clearly xenophobic. And yes, one can reasonably argue that xenophobia can and often does have racist roots. But think about Trump's other public spats. Over the last few years has Trump been any softer on Pelosi than AOC? Kinder to John McCain? RBG? Liz Warren? He's crudely attacked them all.

I think there's another explanation that fits the facts. Trump exhibits an immature form of distain for, and directs abuse at, anyone who does not support Trump. I'm really not sure skin color matters that much. If you're black and support him, he loves you. If you're white and disagree with him, you'll get both barrels.

In short, I think Trump is more narcissist than racist.

Feb 2019
nunya
... ok, bear with me for a moment. This came up in another thread and thought I would opine on it here. While it is an article of faith in the left that Trump's latest Tweet-attacks on The Squad are examples of his racism. I'm not sure they are.

I think what can be said is those tweets are clearly xenophobic. And yes, one can reasonably argue that xenophobia can and often does have racist roots. But think about Trump's other public spats. Over the last few years has Trump been any softer on Pelosi than AOC? Kinder to John McCain? RBG? Liz Warren? He's crudely attacked them all.

I think there's another explanation that fits the facts. Trump exhibits an immature form of distain for, and directs abuse at, anyone who does not support Trump. I'm really not sure skin color matters that much. If you're black and support him, he loves you. If you're white and disagree with him, you'll get both barrels.

In short, I think Trump is more narcissist than racist.
No, he hasn't, but he didn't tell Nancy Pelosi to go back to her country.

Reactions: se7en
Jun 2018
South Dakota
Maybe, but what difference does it make to split this hair?

He's unfit to be president however you dice it.
Hmmm. You think that any attack on Trump, whatever the subject, is OK simply because in your opinion he's unfit to be President?
He's "unfit" however you dice it.
This is the same principle as the overcharging that prosecutors use in order to secure a conviction. The defendant is guilty of everything but we'll take a plea down.
Makes any claim against Trump suspect and generally ignored.

Dec 2018
New England
Yes, but MY point was, that he didn't tell white people to "go back to their own countries"
That's obvious. He also didn't question AOC's valor in the way he did McCain's. I think you're citing differences here that have no bearing on the discussion.