Now Women are Host Bodies?

Dec 2015
Arizona
Florida House Speaker Jose Oliva, R-Miami Lakes, has apologized following a Thursday night interview with CBS Miami’s Jim DeFede about abortion, during which he repeatedly referred to pregnant women as “host bodies.” According to Oliva, he used the term multiple times in “an attempt to use terminology found in medical ethics writings with the purpose of keeping the discussion dispassionate.” But, he now realizes, the phrase “had the exact opposite effect.”

“I apologize for having caused offense, my aim was the contrary,” he said in a statement. “This is and will continue to be our society’s greatest challenge. I strongly believe both mother and child have rights, and the extent and balance of those rights remain in question. I regret my wording has distracted from the issue. My apologies to all.”

Oliva’s comments included the following: “As technology moves along, a human body can exist outside of its host body earlier and earlier, and so then one has to think until what time does the host body have veto power over this other life? … The question is: What is the value of that life? And is it subordinate to the value of its host body?”

His words were quickly criticized by Democrats. (Ya THINK??). I'm convinced the GOP is just not interested in this country's women voters. AND another Handmaid's Tale scenario rises to the surface.

There's more here:
Florida House speaker apologizes for calling pregnant women 'host bodies' in abortion debate

Nov 2013
NM
You have to give him credit for honesty. Even if he did try to backpedal it.
The esteemed gentlebeing FL House Speaker Oliva? Nah, nah. He's simply watched far too many Alien movies, he's absorbed the zombie-like ghoulishness of the critters pursuing Ripley, & I assume he's now channeling his id directly. To the extent that he's parroting the dominant (!) trope from the first series of movies. Freud would be fascinated. The rest of us, not so much.

Fortunately, there's not an ovipositor in sight.

Nov 2013
NM
a fetus is a parasite so in a way host body is an accurate term of sorts, for a fucking parasite
No, TMK a parasite is invariably fatal to the host - wasps & spiders, for instance. There is some danger for the woman who is pregnant, to be sure, & we are all @ living on the sufferance of the fates. But Western Civilization medicine can cope with most pregnancies. That's the main difference, & invalidates the comparison.

& this is how humanity reproduces - with some technical/medical assistance, as necessary. So again, the comparison suffers.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
No, TMK a parasite is invariably fatal to the host - wasps & spiders, for instance. There is some danger for the woman who is pregnant, to be sure, & we are all @ living on the sufferance of the fates. But Western Civilization medicine can cope with most pregnancies. That's the main difference, & invalidates the comparison.

& this is how humanity reproduces - with some technical/medical assistance, as necessary. So again, the comparison suffers.
often a fetus is

May 2018
Chicago
Florida House Speaker Jose Oliva, R-Miami Lakes, has apologized following a Thursday night interview with CBS Miami’s Jim DeFede about abortion, during which he repeatedly referred to pregnant women as “host bodies.” According to Oliva, he used the term multiple times in “an attempt to use terminology found in medical ethics writings with the purpose of keeping the discussion dispassionate.” But, he now realizes, the phrase “had the exact opposite effect.”

“I apologize for having caused offense, my aim was the contrary,” he said in a statement. “This is and will continue to be our society’s greatest challenge. I strongly believe both mother and child have rights, and the extent and balance of those rights remain in question. I regret my wording has distracted from the issue. My apologies to all.”

Oliva’s comments included the following: “As technology moves along, a human body can exist outside of its host body earlier and earlier, and so then one has to think until what time does the host body have veto power over this other life? … The question is: What is the value of that life? And is it subordinate to the value of its host body?”

His words were quickly criticized by Democrats. (Ya THINK??). I'm convinced the GOP is just not interested in this country's women voters. AND another Handmaid's Tale scenario rises to the surface.

There's more here:
Florida House speaker apologizes for calling pregnant women 'host bodies' in abortion debate
Good lord, he actually said that? Wow.