NY Times: The Real Reason the U.S. Has Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance

Nov 2017
2,161
1,004
.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/upshot/the-real-reason-the-us-has-employer-sponsored-health-insurance.html

Basically this idea of employers providing their employees with health insurance originated because of a government-imposed wage freeze, essentially government intervention into the economy. It's something employers offered employees as a way around the freeze.

We would not have the problems we have today with health insurance, astronomically huge expenses for health coverage, and government intervention with all the patchwork of laws to preserve the health insurance industry. This is why the state should serve as nothing more than a referee and be kept out of the economy where it can interfere with it and screw it up in the long run.

The premise behind the government freeze was that inflation would "spiral out of control" (because of the circumstances at the time). Keep in mind that inflation can occur because we have a private central bank that can create money out of nothing whenever it issues loans and money is deposited into account (which originated from those very same kind of loans).

Lessons we can learn from this:

1. Government intervention into the economy is a bad idea.

2. Having a private central bank is a bad idea.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 5 people
Nov 2012
5,758
3,491
Kekistan
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/upshot/the-real-reason-the-us-has-employer-sponsored-health-insurance.html

Basically this idea of employers providing their employees with health insurance originated because of a government-imposed wage freeze, essentially government intervention into the economy. It's something employers offered employees as a way around the freeze.

We would not have the problems we have today with health insurance, astronomically huge expenses for health coverage, and government intervention with all the patchwork of laws to preserve the health insurance industry. This is why the state should serve as nothing more than a referee and be kept out of the economy where it can interfere with it and screw it up in the long run.

The premise behind the government freeze was that inflation would "spiral out of control" (because of the circumstances at the time). Keep in mind that inflation can occur because we have a private central bank that can create money out of nothing whenever it issues loans and money is deposited into account (which originated from those very same kind of loans).

Lessons we can learn from this:

1. Government intervention into the economy is a bad idea.

2. Having a private central bank is a bad idea.
I honestly think we should have medicare for all though, but it makes sense what you are saying. I just feel like if I am being forced to pay for something against my will, I should be able to collect the fruits of it why I do so
 
Feb 2017
313
113
Cerritos
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/upshot/the-real-reason-the-us-has-employer-sponsored-health-insurance.html

Basically this idea of employers providing their employees with health insurance originated because of a government-imposed wage freeze, essentially government intervention into the economy. It's something employers offered employees as a way around the freeze.

We would not have the problems we have today with health insurance, astronomically huge expenses for health coverage, and government intervention with all the patchwork of laws to preserve the health insurance industry. This is why the state should serve as nothing more than a referee and be kept out of the economy where it can interfere with it and screw it up in the long run.

The premise behind the government freeze was that inflation would "spiral out of control" (because of the circumstances at the time). Keep in mind that inflation can occur because we have a private central bank that can create money out of nothing whenever it issues loans and money is deposited into account (which originated from those very same kind of loans).

Lessons we can learn from this:

1. Government intervention into the economy is a bad idea.

2. Having a private central bank is a bad idea.
I do think Medicare is the only way that people can afford to cover like health insurance, co-pays, etc. They need them to get their lives covered.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2015
18,410
17,580
Arizona
I honestly think we should have medicare for all though, but it makes sense what you are saying. I just feel like if I am being forced to pay for something against my will, I should be able to collect the fruits of it why I do so


Wow, Guy. We actually agree on something. Mr. Clara and I each pay $134 a month for Medicare. That's it....and it comes out of our SS.

WE chose a co-pay plan and it's been great. I don't understand why people are so opposed to Medicare for all.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2 people
Nov 2012
5,758
3,491
Kekistan
Wow, Guy. We actually agree on something. Mr. Clara and I each pay $134 a month for Medicare. That's it....and it comes out of our SS.

WE chose a co-pay plan and it's been great. I don't understand why people are so opposed to Medicare for all.
The reason you only pay 134 dollars a month is because your being subsidized by people who are working and paying into the system without the benefits of the system.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2 people
Mar 2013
10,264
11,095
Middle Tennessee
The reason you only pay 134 dollars a month is because your being subsidized by people who are working and paying into the system without the benefits of the system.

And how many years did Clara and hubby pay into the system ?? I've been paying in since I was just 13 years old. In a few years it'll be my turn to be on the receiving end of the equation.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2 people
Feb 2018
1,101
584
Oregon
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/upshot/the-real-reason-the-us-has-employer-sponsored-health-insurance.html

Basically this idea of employers providing their employees with health insurance originated because of a government-imposed wage freeze, essentially government intervention into the economy. It's something employers offered employees as a way around the freeze.

We would not have the problems we have today with health insurance, astronomically huge expenses for health coverage, and government intervention with all the patchwork of laws to preserve the health insurance industry. This is why the state should serve as nothing more than a referee and be kept out of the economy where it can interfere with it and screw it up in the long run.

The premise behind the government freeze was that inflation would "spiral out of control" (because of the circumstances at the time). Keep in mind that inflation can occur because we have a private central bank that can create money out of nothing whenever it issues loans and money is deposited into account (which originated from those very same kind of loans).

Lessons we can learn from this:

1. Government intervention into the economy is a bad idea.

2. Having a private central bank is a bad idea.
But that's a half-baked "analysis". Did you know that on average the "compensation" of health insurance CEOs is the highest in the nation?

When you're managing an entire market that is motivated by the desperation of the seriously ill and all other requirements for health care.... -people who will mortgage the farm if necessary to pay for the needed medical care of a very sick family member, .... -you can charge what you want and provide what little benefit you like, too.... -and pocket the difference. Increasing that "difference" becomes very important to the CEO.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2015
18,410
17,580
Arizona
The reason you only pay 134 dollars a month is because your being subsidized by people who are working and paying into the system without the benefits of the system.


NO....the reason we only pay $134 is because WE paid into the system for 40-50 years.

The GOP keeps calling SSecurity and Medicare "entitlements", which is a word that implies special privileges and treatment. NOT SO.
We the people all pay 1.45% of our earnings into FICA - Federal Insurance Contributions Act - which goes toward Medicare. Employers pay another 1.45%, bringing the total to 2.9%.

I started working when I was 16 yrs old--actually before that--but that's when I started paying into the system. NO ONE IS subsidizing me. We chose the co-pay plan because we could afford to and were willing to co-pay.
 
Dec 2006
26,724
11,920
New Haven, CT
Wow, Guy. We actually agree on something. Mr. Clara and I each pay $134 a month for Medicare. That's it....and it comes out of our SS.

WE chose a co-pay plan and it's been great. I don't understand why people are so opposed to Medicare for all.
That's also what I pay - plus I'm covered by my pension for prescription coverage, so I don't need a Part D (or whatever part LOL) to cover drugs.

I have a $15 copay for doctor's visits, and a $5 copy for prescriptions.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 person
Nov 2012
17,400
5,721
Michigan
NO....the reason we only pay $134 is because WE paid into the system for 40-50 years.

The GOP keeps calling SSecurity and Medicare "entitlements", which is a word that implies special privileges and treatment. NOT SO.
We the people all pay 1.45% of our earnings into FICA - Federal Insurance Contributions Act - which goes toward Medicare. Employers pay another 1.45%, bringing the total to 2.9%.

I started working when I was 16 yrs old--actually before that--but that's when I started paying into the system. NO ONE IS subsidizing me. We chose the co-pay plan because we could afford to and were willing to co-pay.
And you think the govt scrupulously saved all your money for years to pay your benefits now?
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 person