NYPD Commissioner Fires Officer Daniel Pantaleo Over Eric Garner's Death

Nov 2005
California
NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill has fired the police officer accused of using a banned chokehold on Eric Garner in 2014, siding with the departmental trial judge who recommended termination earlier this month.

He was quickly lauded by advocates and local leaders -- and blasted by the head of the police union, who in a searing statement accused O'Neill of choosing "politics and his own self-interest over the police officers he claims to lead" as the officer's attorney said they would appeal his firing.

O'Neill's decision, revealed early Monday afternoon, is final, closing the years-long book on embattled NYPD officer Daniel Pantaleo, whom a local grand jury and federal prosecutors all declined to criminally prosecute. Pantaleo will not receive his 13-year vested pension, but will get the contributions back that he had made over his years on the force, O'Neill said.
NYPD Chief Fires Cop Who Used Chokehold in Eric Garner Death

Eric Garner's death was over five years ago. Finally, the cop who used the banned chokehold gets fired.

Nov 2005
California
The guy was resisting arrest, it looked like he weighed at least 600 lbs., the choke hold was justified. IMHO :think:
Chokeholds were banned for use, including in New York.
Other alternatives exist like tasers which aren't as lethal.

The police officer should have known that choke holds were forbidden. He chose to use it anyways. A man who was providing no lethal force was responded to with lethal force.

Nov 2012
Chicago
Chokeholds were banned for use, including in New York.
Other alternatives exist like tasers which aren't as lethal.

The police officer should have known that choke holds were forbidden. He chose to use it anyways. A man who was providing no lethal force was responded to with lethal force.
It looks to me that the choke hold was only applied for a very short time and wasn't used once the perp was on the ground an shouting I can't breathe. :rolleyes:

Nov 2005
California
It looks to me that the choke hold was only applied for a very short time and wasn't used once the perp was on the ground an shouting I can't breathe. :rolleyes:
On August 1, 2014, the New York City Medical Examiner's Office ruled Garner's death a homicide.[64] According to the medical examiner's definition, a homicide is a death caused by the intentional actions of another person or persons, which is not necessarily an intentional death or a criminal death.[64]

Garner's death was also found by the medical examiner to have resulted from "compression of neck (choke hold), compression of chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police".​
Death of Eric Garner - Wikipedia

Do you want to give the cops brownie points because they used more than one method to deprive him of air?