Obama Drone Strikes kill many over his term

Jul 2015
chicago
Obama’s covert drone war in numbers: ten times more strikes than Bush

There were ten times more air strikes in the covert war on terror during President Barack Obama’s presidency than under his predecessor, George W. Bush.

Obama embraced the US drone programme, overseeing more strikes in his first year than Bush carried out during his entire presidency. A total of 563 strikes, largely by drones, targeted Pakistan, Somalia and Yemen during Obama’s two terms, compared to 57 strikes under Bush. Between 384 and 807 civilians were killed in those countries, according to reports logged by the Bureau.

The use of drones aligned with Obama’s ambition to keep up the war against al Qaeda while extricating the US military from intractable, costly ground wars in the Middle East and Asia. But the targeted killing programme has drawn much criticism.

The Obama administration has insisted that drone strikes are so “exceptionally surgical and precise” that they pluck off terror suspects while not putting “innocent men, women and children in danger”. This claim has been contested by numerous human rights groups, however, and the Bureau’s figures on civilian casualties also demonstrate that this is often not the case.

The White House released long-awaited figures last July on the number of people killed in drone strikes between January 2009 and the end of 2015, an announcement which insiders said was a direct response to pressure from the Bureau and other organisations that collect data. However the US’s estimate of the number of civilians killed – between 64 and 116 – contrasted strongly with the number recorded by the Bureau, which at 380 to 801 was six times higher.

Jul 2015
chicago
This drone strike in Yemen hit a wedding party killing 12 civilians. Atleast this strike under Trump hit the target; the terrorist general as well as the militia leader that planned the attacks on the US embassy earlier in the week.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
So which is it ??? Drones good ?? Drones bad ?? You don’t get to change sides because of who’s in charge. You can’t complain about Obama then turn around and praise Trump. It’s pure hypocrisy. The president doesn’t actually choose the targets and pull the trigger. They rely on the military to do its job. If the military fucks up, that’s on them. The same people who are running the drones now are the same people running it under Obama.

Jul 2015
chicago
So which is it ??? Drones good ?? Drones bad ?? You don’t get to change sides because of who’s in charge. You can’t complain about Obama then turn around and praise Trump. .
I remember this strike on the wedding party. I did not criticize Obama when it happened. I did not claim it was an attempt by Obama to start WW3 or war with Yemen. What I did say was that these strikes in general in the "war on terror" are endless war with an unidentified end game. When using bombs there will always be accidental deaths of civilians. At least with this strike,, it hit the correct target.

Dec 2015
Arizona
I remember this strike on the wedding party. I did not criticize Obama when it happened. I did not claim it was an attempt by Obama to start WW3 or war with Yemen. What I did say was that these strikes in general in the "war on terror" are endless war with an unidentified end game. When using bombs there will always be accidental deaths of civilians. At least with this strike,, it hit the correct target.
As usual, your information is inaccurate. There were 10 people killed in the airstrike...NOT JUST ONE.
From Wiki:
Former U.S. Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama both considered and rejected the targeting of Qasem Soleimani, fearing that it would escalate to a full-scale war.

Reactions: Lyzza and foundit66
Jul 2019
Georgia
one of the things I was most critical towards Obama about

glad we can agree, what trump is doing now is similar and fucked up as well.

Reactions: Lyzza and cwII
Sep 2019
Here
Obama’s covert drone war in numbers: ten times more strikes than Bush

There were ten times more air strikes in the covert war on terror during President Barack Obama’s presidency than under his predecessor, George W. Bush.

Obama embraced the US drone programme, overseeing more strikes in his first year than Bush carried out during his entire presidency. A total of 563 strikes, largely by drones, targeted Pakistan, Somalia and Yemen during Obama’s two terms, compared to 57 strikes under Bush. Between 384 and 807 civilians were killed in those countries, according to reports logged by the Bureau.

The use of drones aligned with Obama’s ambition to keep up the war against al Qaeda while extricating the US military from intractable, costly ground wars in the Middle East and Asia. But the targeted killing programme has drawn much criticism.

The Obama administration has insisted that drone strikes are so “exceptionally surgical and precise” that they pluck off terror suspects while not putting “innocent men, women and children in danger”. This claim has been contested by numerous human rights groups, however, and the Bureau’s figures on civilian casualties also demonstrate that this is often not the case.

The White House released long-awaited figures last July on the number of people killed in drone strikes between January 2009 and the end of 2015, an announcement which insiders said was a direct response to pressure from the Bureau and other organisations that collect data. However the US’s estimate of the number of civilians killed – between 64 and 116 – contrasted strongly with the number recorded by the Bureau, which at 380 to 801 was six times higher.

You mean democrats are pro war too? Who'd a thunk? They've always been pro war & pro MIC.

Reactions: Gordy
Jul 2015
chicago
You mean democrats are pro war too? Who'd a thunk? They've always been pro war & pro MIC.
My point is that Democrats did not cry that Obama was strating WW3 and they were not calling Obama a warmonger trying to provike a war with Yemen.

Jul 2015
chicago
As usual, your information is inaccurate. There were 10 people killed in the airstrike...NOT JUST ONE.
From Wiki:
Former U.S. Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama both considered and rejected the targeting of Qasem Soleimani, fearing that it would escalate to a full-scale war.
So was Obama trying to start a war with Yemen with his drone strike killing people of Yemen? Was Obama a warmonger trying to start WW3?