Off-duty officer entered wrong apartment, shot and killed resident

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
Have you noticed that lately the local police departments are 'handing' off the investigations to other authorities?
What does that tell us? POLICE policing police isn't a good policing policy? (I love alliteration!)

Why are the Texas Rangers investigating the Botham Jean shooting?
Yep, I wish all of us could investigate ourselves.
I can see it now... Honey, I exhaustively investigated that nasty accusation that I had been banging your best friend.
You'll be happy to learn that after my careful and objective investigation of myself I have determined that the accusation has absolutely NO validity!!
Now, get into the kitchen and make me a sammich, and don't forget the beer to go with it.

Dec 2013
Everything is going to be OK
Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Yep, I wish all of us could investigate ourselves.
I can see it now... Honey, I exhaustively investigated that nasty accusation that I had been banging your best friend.
You'll be happy to learn that after my careful and objective investigation of myself I have determined that the accusation has absolutely NO validity!!
Now, get into the kitchen and make me a sammich, and don't forget the beer to go with it.
“The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free.”
― Baruch Spinoza

Oct 2010
Colorado
And the beat goes on....

Lawyer: Police seized pot to smear Botham Jean
after he was shot in his own apartment
A Dallas police affidavit released Thursday says officials found marijuana in a man's apartment where he was allegedly shot by an off-duty police officer, but a lawyer for the victim's family says the search shows that police are attempting to discredit him.​
Dallas police officer Amber Guyger has been charged with manslaughter in the death of Botham Jean, a black man she is accused of shooting in his apartment last week. Guyger reportedly believed that she was in her own apartment and that Jean was a burglar.
Police recovered 10.4 grams — or .37 ounces — of marijuana in a search of Jean's apartment, according to a police affidavit.​
The search "highlights just sort of the nefarious nature of their investigation," said Lee Merritt, an attorney for Jean's family. Merritt learned of the latest search warrant details shortly after Jean's funeral Thursday.​
"They went in with the intent to look for some sort of criminal justification for the victim," Merritt said. "It's a pattern that we've seen before ... we have a cop who clearly did something wrong. And instead of investigating the homicide — instead of going into her apartment and seeing what they can find, instead of collecting evidence relevant for the homicide investigation — they went out specifically looking for ways to tarnish the image of this young man."

More: Lawyer: Police seized pot to smear Botham Jean after he was shot in his own apartment

Sep 2015
Stage Left
And the beat goes on....

A Dallas police affidavit released Thursday says officials found marijuana in a man's apartment where he was allegedly shot by an off-duty police officer, but a lawyer for the victim's family says the search shows that police are attempting to discredit him.​
Dallas police officer Amber Guyger has been charged with manslaughter in the death of Botham Jean, a black man she is accused of shooting in his apartment last week. Guyger reportedly believed that she was in her own apartment and that Jean was a burglar.
Police recovered 10.4 grams — or .37 ounces — of marijuana in a search of Jean's apartment, according to a police affidavit.​
The search "highlights just sort of the nefarious nature of their investigation," said Lee Merritt, an attorney for Jean's family. Merritt learned of the latest search warrant details shortly after Jean's funeral Thursday.​
"They went in with the intent to look for some sort of criminal justification for the victim," Merritt said. "It's a pattern that we've seen before ... we have a cop who clearly did something wrong. And instead of investigating the homicide — instead of going into her apartment and seeing what they can find, instead of collecting evidence relevant for the homicide investigation — they went out specifically looking for ways to tarnish the image of this young man."

More: Lawyer: Police seized pot to smear Botham Jean after he was shot in his own apartment
yeah that is insane. wtf were they doing searching his apartment anyway?!

Apr 2013
Left coast
A lot of reputable media types are really hammering the Faux Views Entertainment Network for breaking this story. And good for them.

May 2018
Chicago
And the beat goes on....

This is exactly why people distrust the police. Disgusting.