Off-duty officer entered wrong apartment, shot and killed resident

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
I have never heard/read "depraved-heart" - I like it and will use it. It's much more evocative of any given instance of same than depraved-indifference

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
That we know of. Her story has changed a few times, so I'm betting there's some sort of motive. First, she said the door was ajar, then she says it was locked. Then we have neighbor witnesses who say they heard her banging on the door to be let in. Someone is telling the truth and someone is lying.

I'm gonna go with the witnesses who said she was banging on the door. If we go with that, then we have to assume she most likely knew the guy she shot. There is a lot missing here, and you don't need to watch cop shows to know that.

One thing we do know, she's lying. Both of her versions can't be true.
In the interest of fairness, maybe she used her key, the door didn't open, she didn't understand why, she the thought someone was in "her" apartment so she banged on the door to be "let in," when Jean did open the door he didn't obey her commands, so she freaked and shot him.

I don't believe that, but it's possible.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
In the interest of fairness, maybe she used her key, the door didn't open, she didn't understand why, she the thought someone was I
n "her" apartment so she banged on the door to be "let in," when Jean did open the door he didn't obey her commands, so she freaked and shot him.

Or the door was unlocked, no key needed.

May 2018
Chicago
In the interest of fairness, maybe she used her key, the door didn't open, she didn't understand why, she the thought someone was in "her" apartment so she banged on the door to be "let in," when Jean did open the door he didn't obey her commands, so she freaked and shot him.

Then why does her story keep changing?

Nov 2012
Michigan
Amber went to his apartment for the sole purpose of shooting him dead. She knew that the thug cops and the cop-loving DA would do everything possible to ensure that she got away with it.
What was the motive?

I understand her motive afterward, trying to cover her crime. But no motive has been offered for a premidated assault.

Last edited:
Apr 2013
Left coast
What was the motive?

I understand her motive afterward, trying to cover her crime. But no motive has been offered for a premidated assault.
I read one article that stated she was bigoted towards black males early in this saga.