Off-duty officer entered wrong apartment, shot and killed resident

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
At the very least this dumb ass is too stupid to be a cop, at worst shes a drug addicted racist, who forgets what floor they live on unless they are drunk?

Nov 2017
Virginia
They'll find a way to get her out of it. They always do.
I get the same feeling. It's a brotherhood, and one part of this brotherhood is being tasked with investigating one of their own; I think it's irrational to extend confidence in their ability to objectively, impartially investigate one of their own. I'm not saying that they won't or don't want to. There are plenty of decent cops out there; I know they're out there, but it's a world they've entered into when they signed up to become a LEO & much of it is about going along to get along, not rocking the boat, etc. Regardless, it's just another reason why I think having paid career professional law enforcement and the resulting social divide between LEOs & "civilians" is not healthy for society.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
I get the same feeling. It's a brotherhood, and one part of this brotherhood is being tasked with investigating one of their own; I think it's irrational to extend confidence in their ability to objectively, impartially investigate one of their own. I'm not saying that they won't or don't want to. There are plenty of decent cops out there; I know they're out there, but it's a world they've entered into when they signed up to become a LEO & much of it is about going along to get along, not rocking the boat, etc. Regardless, it's just another reason why I think having paid career professional law enforcement and the resulting social divide between LEOs & "civilians" is not healthy for society.
And you alternative to "career professional law enforcement" is exactly what?

Sep 2017
Hell
Police Departments have Internal Affairs Divisions with the sole purpose of investigating complaints against officers. IA and regular cops have no love for each other and usually do not even socialize together. In police shootings, they also have to face a Civilian Board and often the case is given to another LEO organization, especially if it involves a high ranked officer. Then the cop also has to face a jury, and cops are not selected for jury in a trial involving another LEO.

There is less "go along to get along then you think". I've been in a car driven by a off-duty cop who was pulled over and ticketed by a patrol car.

Sometime ago, CNN reported that between 2005-2017, conviction rate for officers charged in fatal shooting was 35%, including one that was an accidental discharge that ricochetted off a wall that struck and killed the victim.

The Sheriff of San Francisco was arrested by San Francisco Police Department for domestic violence for hitting his wife. The SFPD revoked his right to carry or possess a firearm, so now the head of the Sheriff Department cannot even carry a gun even when in uniform.

Sep 2015
Stage Left
Her story is coming out...

Authorities: Dallas officer shot and killed neighbor when he ignored 'verbal commands'

Sadly, "her side" of the story may be the only thing that's told in this situation...
omg that is frightening.

i always have my doors locked, but once i ran up to my apartment to grab something and didnt lock the door. all of a sudden this huge man opens the door and get is upset with me for being in his place, but i think he quickly noticed it was not his place. he apologized so much and left, i actually felt sorry for him, but at first i was terrified. so glad he wasnt an off duty cop omfg
Police Departments have Internal Affairs Divisions with the sole purpose of investigating complaints against officers. IA and regular cops have no love for each other and usually do not even socialize together. In police shootings, they also have to face a Civilian Board and often the case is given to another LEO organization, especially if it involves a high ranked officer. Then the cop also has to face a jury, and cops are not selected for jury in a trial involving another LEO.

There is less "go along to get along then you think". I've been in a car driven by a off-duty cop who was pulled over and ticketed by a patrol car.

Sometime ago, CNN reported that between 2005-2017, conviction rate for officers charged in fatal shooting was 35%, including one that was an accidental discharge that ricochetted off a wall that struck and killed the victim.

The Sheriff of San Francisco was arrested by San Francisco Police Department for domestic violence for hitting his wife. The SFPD revoked his right to carry or possess a firearm, so now the head of the Sheriff Department cannot even carry a gun even when in uniform.
its true, some do get convicted, and many many more dont. there needs to be a better way to figure this out to get justice for those who are killed and their families.

Apr 2013
Left coast
omg that is frightening.

i always have my doors locked, but once i ran up to my apartment to grab something and didnt lock the door. all of a sudden this huge man opens the door and get is upset with me for being in his place, but i think he quickly noticed it was not his place. he apologized so much and left, i actually felt sorry for him, but at first i was terrified. so glad he wasnt an off duty cop omfg

its true, some do get convicted, and many many more dont. there needs to be a better way to figure this out to get justice for those who are killed and their families.
The blue wall doesn't end at the city limits. Bringing in cops from another town is no guarantee. They tend to be soft because they may need that town to return the favor next week.