Official thread: How is the impeachment trial going?

Feb 2019
here and there
I just wondered how the Star Chamber impeachment trial is going where we have secret witnesses that can't be cross examined where Trump is not allowed a lawyer to defend him. Who in the hell needs due process anyway?

And here I thought that the Mueller report was so damning. You would have thought that was enough to impeach him, but turns out it was all just a nothing burger.

I sure hope the same thing does not happen again to you democrats.

Reactions: justoneman
Jul 2019
Georgia
can this be the official public hearings thread?

hasn't started yet, but I'm hearing Gym might be wearing a sports coat! :eek:

link to live hearings

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I just wondered how the Star Chamber impeachment trial is going where we have secret witnesses that can't be cross examined where Trump is not allowed a lawyer to defend him. Who in the hell needs due process anyway?

And here I thought that the Mueller report was so damning. You would have thought that was enough to impeach him, but turns out it was all just a nothing burger.

I sure hope the same thing does not happen again to you democrats.
Hi OI. These arguments have been debunked so many times, one can assume you just don't want to hear the truth. But I'm going to try one more time to explain what's wrong with your arguments.

- The Nixon investigation was conducted by special counselor Archibald Cox. He did his investigation behind closed doors with a Grand Jury. The Clinton investigation was conducted by special counselor Ken Starr. He did his investigation behind closed doors with a Grand Jury. The Trump investigation started because the top lawyer at the CIA and the whistleblower both refered the case to the DOJ, but the DOJ rejected the case despite the fact that four offials from the Trump team have already been arrested, including Lev and Igor. Had the DOJ done an investigation, it would have been done behind closed doors. Since they didn't the House had to do it.

- There are no secret witnesses outside of the whistleblower, who as a whistleblower can legally remain annonymous per various SCOTUS rulings. The witnesses include Bill Taylor, George Kent, Fiona Hill, Marie Yavonovich, Alexander Vindman, George Sondland, Tim Morrison, and more. Some of these people are career diplomats, some are major Trump donors, some were hired by the Trump administration. Almost everyone who testified behind closed doors will be publicly testifying in the next two weeks.

- The president cannot cross examine in the House impeachment hearings just like Nixon wouldn't have and Clinton couldn't. That will happen in the Senate, where lawyers for both the House and the Trump administration will be able to ask questions and Senators will serve as the jury.

- "Due process" is a term that derives from the 6th amendment which applies to legal criminal proceedings. Impeachment is not a legal criminal proceeding. It's a political process.

- The Mueller report had a lot of damning information. It outlined 10 acts of obstruction and while it didn't show the Trump campaign strategically conspiring the Russia, it showed hundreds of links between the two parties, including the recently uncovered fact that Roger Stone briefed the president on the plans of Wikileaks.

- The House has soul responsibility to draw up rules for an impeachment. That's because this thing called the constitution says so. Even with that, Trump has more rights in this process compared to previous Presidents.
1573656063993.png

I'm sorry if these facts upset you. But these are the facts.

Feb 2007
USA

Once again, the variants of "Due Process," as per the US Constitution, ONLY apply regarding the potential deprivation of a person's life or liberty or property.

And, a public servant's removal from office does NOT deprive someone of their life or liberty or property.

In short, the impeachment process is NOT a criminal trial, nor even a civil trial for that matter. Rather, it is a remedial tool that serves to effectively maintain constitutional government by removing individuals in which congress sees as being unfit for office.

:rolleyes:

Jun 2018
South Dakota
Hi OI. These arguments have been debunked so many times, one can assume you just don't want to hear the truth. But I'm going to try one more time to explain what's wrong with your arguments.

- The Nixon investigation was conducted by special counselor Archibald Cox. He did his investigation behind closed doors with a Grand Jury. The Clinton investigation was conducted by special counselor Ken Starr. He did his investigation behind closed doors with a Grand Jury. The Trump investigation started because the top lawyer at the CIA and the whistleblower both refered the case to the DOJ, but the DOJ rejected the case despite the fact that four offials from the Trump team have already been arrested, including Lev and Igor. Had the DOJ done an investigation, it would have been done behind closed doors. Since they didn't the House had to do it.

- There are no secret witnesses outside of the whistleblower, who as a whistleblower can legally remain annonymous per various SCOTUS rulings. The witnesses include Bill Taylor, George Kent, Fiona Hill, Marie Yavonovich, Alexander Vindman, George Sondland, Tim Morrison, and more. Some of these people are career diplomats, some are major Trump donors, some were hired by the Trump administration. Almost everyone who testified behind closed doors will be publicly testifying in the next two weeks.

- The president cannot cross examine in the House impeachment hearings just like Nixon wouldn't have and Clinton couldn't. That will happen in the Senate, where lawyers for both the House and the Trump administration will be able to ask questions and Senators will serve as the jury.

- "Due process" is a term that derives from the 6th amendment which applies to legal criminal proceedings. Impeachment is not a legal criminal proceeding. It's a political process.

- The Mueller report had a lot of damning information. It outlined 10 acts of obstruction and while it didn't show the Trump campaign strategically conspiring the Russia, it showed hundreds of links between the two parties, including the recently uncovered fact that Roger Stone briefed the president on the plans of Wikileaks.

- The House has soul responsibility to draw up rules for an impeachment. That's because this thing called the constitution says so. Even with that, Trump has more rights in this process compared to previous Presidents.
View attachment 5877

I'm sorry if these facts upset you. But these are the facts.
The "ask questions" and "subpoenas" lines are way off as they aren't absolute. Attend evidence presentation is bogus because there's no allowance of questioning of that as it's presented.
It'll be fun to watch as Shifty wrecks his circus show by refusing objections all day too.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
The "ask questions" and "subpoenas" lines are way off as they aren't absolute. Attend evidence presentation is bogus because there's no allowance of questioning of that as it's presented.
It'll be fun to watch as Shifty wrecks his circus show by refusing objections all day too.
Are you asserting Trump has less rights in the impeachment process than Nixon and/or Clinton?

Jul 2019
Georgia
Schiff's got the long opener right?

I know Goldman will be working with some questioning too.

Who's the Repub's atty/staff? Or is it going to be the Nunes show? Because I would like that.

edit: Castor for Repubs
he's a gem, based on some of the testimony transcripts I've read

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Schiff's got the long opener right?

I know Goldman will be working with some questioning too.

Who's the Repub's atty/staff? Or is it going to be the Nunes show? Because I would like that.

edit: Castor for Repubs
he's a gem, based on some of the testimony transcripts I've read
Yes. Both the Ds and the Rs have up to 45 minutes EACH for opening statements/questions. Chances are they will be handled by a combination of the Schiff/lawyers and Nunes/Jordan/lawyers