"Oh Yeah? How Would Libertarianism Solve THIS Problem?"

Feb 2020
Houston
A question we often get, as you know.

That's like when Major Benteen advised Custer to wait for the rest of the bridage before attacking the Cheyenne and Souix with a relatively small force. Custer ignored him and charged. What could Benteen say if, after being surrounded and having to shoot their own horses to hide behind, Custer had said, "Well, Major? How would your ideas solve THIS situation?"

Case in point is the "are liquor stores essential" debate on another thread. How would libertarianism answer that question? By saying that under libertarianism, no special license would be needed to sell liquor. Therefore grocery stores would sell it and "liquor stores" would be like "cigar stores," only patronized by a few afficianados interested in high end products.

Freedom and the free market solves problems quickly as they arise. The free market does not wait for a disaster to plan for one.

"

Reactions: SkyChief
Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
The free-market is always there, it just goes by different names. In the event of a crisis, it is called the black market. In times of great economic wealth, it is called Sotheby's.

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
It's kind of like child's play for Libertarians to deal with these uneducated clowns. Before even touching the NAP or Ludwig von Mises and Austrian economics, real Libertarians have to be already well versed in the Declaration, Constitution, The Bill of Rights & All Amendments (the Charters of Freedom).

So I don't blame libertarians for feeling tired of talking to the unlearned.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
So why are there no examples of libertarian based society actually working?

Feb 2020
Houston
It's kind of like child's play for Libertarians to deal with these uneducated clowns. Before even touching the NAP or Ludwig von Mises and Austrian economics, real Libertarians have to be already well versed in the Declaration, Constitution, The Bill of Rights & All Amendments (the Charters of Freedom).

IKR?

Always the same questions, which isn't their fault, because most have never been exposed to libertarian thought before.

I don't know, maybe I should work on a "FAQ's for Statists," thread and link them to it when they ask a question I've answered seven times already.

But not right now, let's stick for a while to gently ignoring non-libertarians who invite themselves in.

• Haha
Reactions: SkyChief
Feb 2020
Houston

On the old forum, there were often unlearned self-identified libertarians. They were really just old-fashioned cons who got tired of neo-cons getting us into wars when their parents always said it was the Dems that did that. Then they got tired of "compassionate conservatives" who loved welfare as much as Bernie Sanders and still had (R) after their names.

So, they adopted a fiscally conservative, socially liberal, isolationist opinion and fancied themselves transformed.

No shame, that was absolutely me, which is how I know them. But when I go to that stage, I did something that is pretty rare in these days. I read several books on a topic I had taken an interest in.

Then I learned about the NAP and what real freedom it could someday bring.

Reactions: FreeToChoose
Feb 2020
Kalifornia
<snip> Case in point is the "are liquor stores essential" debate on another thread. How would libertarianism answer that question? By saying that under libertarianism, no special license would be needed to sell liquor. Therefore grocery stores would sell it and "liquor stores" would be like "cigar stores," only patronized by a few afficianados interested in high end products. <snip>
In a free market, there would not be any need for a "liquor" license. Liquor would be A LOT less expensive.

In California, lawmakers in Sacramento made a gross miscalculation with the licensing and taxing of marijuana.

The licensing fees are outrageous, which forces us regular folks to buy black-market marijuana.

Because of their Big-Government greed and stupidity, the State loses out on valuable Tax revenues.

All they need to do is lower (or eliminate) licensing fees, and lower the Marijuana Tax. Tax revenues would be pouring in.

I would buy from the Weed Shop if it were affordable, but my guy Rafael sells it for less than half what the boutiques charge so naturally, I buy from him.

Reactions: FreeToChoose
Jul 2014
massachusetts
In a free market, there would not be any need for a "liquor" license. Liquor would be A LOT less expensive.

In California, lawmakers in Sacramento made a gross miscalculation with the licensing and taxing of marijuana.

The licensing fees are outrageous, which forces us regular folks to buy black-market marijuana.

Because of their Big-Government greed and stupidity, the State loses out on valuable Tax revenues.

All they need to do is lower (or eliminate) licensing fees, and lower the Marijuana Tax. Tax revenues would be pouring in.

I would buy from the Weed Shop if it were affordable, but my guy Rafael sells it for less than half what the boutiques charge so naturally, I buy from him.
Well here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, it's legal to grow up to six plants per adult (maximum 12 per household). Last summer I turned 3 seeds into 3 gallons of trimmed bud, it did cost me $150 for the gardening supplies.
I'm still trying to give it away, if you're in the area, stop by, the price is right, I get nothing for a gram, nothing for an ounce.
You will have to buy your own papers.
All power to the people!
N.B. I do pick up a package of gummies at the dispensary now and then, because I haven't got to making my own, yet....

Reactions: se7en and SkyChief