"Oh Yeah? How Would Libertarianism Solve THIS Problem?"

Feb 2020
Houston
In a free market, there would not be any need for a "liquor" license. Liquor would be A LOT less expensive.

In California, lawmakers in Sacramento made a gross miscalculation with the licensing and taxing of marijuana.

The licensing fees are outrageous, which forces us regular folks to buy black-market marijuana.

Because of their Big-Government greed and stupidity, the State loses out on valuable Tax revenues.

All they need to do is lower (or eliminate) licensing fees, and lower the Marijuana Tax. Tax revenues would be pouring in.

I would buy from the Weed Shop if it were affordable, but my guy Rafael sells it for less than half what the boutiques charge so naturally, I buy from him.
You think that California may have known that would happen? The Government, I mean.

Could their aim really have been to make it legal but affordable only for rich liberals, who are their patrons, but they still get to harass the poor?

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Freedom and the free market solves problems quickly as they arise. The free market does not wait for a disaster to plan for one.
Yeah ???? So why don’t we have a vaccine? Why aren’t there enough face masks or little bottles of hand sanitizer?? Why don’t all these for profit hospitals have enough beds or ventilators ??

Your “free market” would be those brothers in TN who bought up thousands of bottles of sanitizer then tried to resell it at outrageous prices.

The free market doesn’t give a fuck about anybody or anything other than profit. Most damned sure don’t plan very far ahead.

Refer to Clara’s post a few days ago about the various industries who in spite of massive profits over the last few years and a huge tax break from the Dumbster and the rethuglicants are already looking to the gubmint to bail them out because they didn’t have a contingency plan or the funds set aside to weather a sudden down turn in the market.

The free market would let millions die if they were unable to pay whatever exorbitant price the market might demand. The free market is never altruistic or beneficent unless they can use it to make a profit. Which means even when they appear to be, they aren’t !!

Feb 2020
Kalifornia
You think that California may have known that would happen? The Government, I mean.
No. They are greedy fools who don't understand the purpose of taxation. I can't prove it, but on our old libertarian forum (because it closed), I predicted that the California Marijuana Tax would be excessive, and would force regular folks to buy marijuana on the black market, thereby depriving the State of potential revenues.

Could their aim really have been to make it legal but affordable only for rich liberals, who are their patrons, but they still get to harass the poor?
I don't think so.

Lawmakers are very shortsighted. Their tax policies are motivated by greed and their innate desire to spend other people's money.

And thank you for lobbing that one across the plate. ;) :cheersglasses:

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
In a free market, there would not be any need for a "liquor" license. Liquor would be A LOT less expensive.

In California, lawmakers in Sacramento made a gross miscalculation with the licensing and taxing of marijuana.

The licensing fees are outrageous, which forces us regular folks to buy black-market marijuana.

Because of their Big-Government greed and stupidity, the State loses out on valuable Tax revenues.

All they need to do is lower (or eliminate) licensing fees, and lower the Marijuana Tax. Tax revenues would be pouring in.

I would buy from the Weed Shop if it were affordable, but my guy Rafael sells it for less than half what the boutiques charge so naturally, I buy from him.
Next time, asking if he is willing to take gold or silver. That stip in a=out money is a gps chip.

Reactions: SkyChief
Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
On the old forum, there were often unlearned self-identified libertarians. They were really just old-fashioned cons who got tired of neo-cons getting us into wars when their parents always said it was the Dems that did that. Then they got tired of "compassionate conservatives" who loved welfare as much as Bernie Sanders and still had (R) after their names.

So, they adopted a fiscally conservative, socially liberal, isolationist opinion and fancied themselves transformed.

No shame, that was absolutely me, which is how I know them. But when I go to that stage, I did something that is pretty rare in these days. I read several books on a topic I had taken an interest in.

Then I learned about the NAP and what real freedom it could someday bring.
No shame at all. No matter what they were, they all believed in live and let live. I do not care what any conservative or liberal does as long as he respects my right to do the same and doesn't interfere with me or invade my space.